It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 20:31
Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN that are resistant to the antibiotic perxicillin has increased substantially. Bacteria can quickly develop resistance to an antibiotic when it is prescribed indiscriminately or when patients fail to take it as prescribed. Since perxicillin has not been indiscriminately prescribed, health officials hypothesize that the increase in perxicillin resistant sinus infections is largely due to patients’ failure to take his medication as prescribed.

Which of the following, it true of Aqadestan, provides most support for the health officials' hypothesis:

A) Resistance to several other commonly prescribed antibiotics has not increased since 1990 in Aqadestan

B) A large number of Aqadestanis never seek medical help when they have a sinus infection.

C) When it first became available, perxicillin was much more effective in treating bacterial sinus infections than any other antibiotic used for such infections at the time.

D) Many patients who take perxicillin experience severe side effects within the first few days of their prescribed regimen

E) Aqadestani health clinics provide antibiotics to their patients at cost

--------------------------------

Can any one explain how E does not support conclusion?

My analysis: If health clinics bear the cost of the antibiotic prescription means that they will not prescribe perxicillin indiscriminately. Thus it should be the only other way the resistance has been taking place. And this analysis strengthens the argument.
The assumption in this analysis: The clinics, bearing the cost of the medicines, will not prescribe those medicines randomly.

In fact for C one can say that GMAT assumes that: much of the people who experience severe side effects within first few days of treatment fail to take the medication as prescribed.

Thus which assumption to choose over the other?

Someone please help!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 41

Re: Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 22:34
hii
harshalc4
https://gmatclub.com/forum/antibiotic-r ... 99805.html
please follow the given link. This question has already been discussed. You will get proper explanation for your doubt there.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Re: Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 03:23
WillGetIt wrote:
Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN that are resistant to the antibiotic perxicillin has increased substantially. Bacteria can quickly develop resistance to an antibiotic when it is prescribed indiscriminately or when patients fail to take it as prescribed. Since perxicillin has not been indiscriminately prescribed, health officials hypothesize that the increase in perxicillin resistant sinus infections is largely due to patients’ failure to take his medication as prescribed.

Which of the following, it true of Aqadestan, provides most support for the health officials' hypothesis:

A) Resistance to several other commonly prescribed antibiotics has not increased since 1990 in Aqadestan

B) A large number of Aqadestanis never seek medical help when they have a sinus infection.

C) When it first became available, perxicillin was much more effective in treating bacterial sinus infections than any other antibiotic used for such infections at the time.

D) Many patients who take perxicillin experience severe side effects within the first few days of their prescribed regimen

thought I see d is best. I think that d require an assumption, which is patients will stop taking the medicine.

correct choice need an assumption. this is the case whichh makes me uneasy

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 13:54
thangvietnam wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:

thought I see d is best. I think that d require an assumption, which is patients will stop taking the medicine.

correct choice need an assumption. this is the case whichh makes me uneasy

I agree. Isn't it a very big assumption to think that the patients will stop taking the medicine? What if they not? This makes me think , then we can put such an assumption in any other answer choice to make it work, for instance in B) A large number of Aqadestanis never seek medical help when they have a sinus infection. So we can assume they might be using antibiotic perxicillin on their own incorrectly and as a result cause perxicillin resistancy ? or in C , perxicillin was much more effective in treating bacterial sinus infections than any other antibiotic used, and may be, we can assume, it became ineffective because people started to use the medicine incorrectly on their own.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 13:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Since 1990 the percentage of bacterial sinus infections in AQADESTAN t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap