Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Antmavel, do not get disheartened. The GMAT is not easy but you can do it. Believe in yourself and you just need some more practice. Get ready up for another round :war
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel,

So what if GMAT beat u this time. It is just testing ur determination. Iam confident that you will do well. It just was not ur day.I know a score of that kind depresses one .
Atleast it did for me.For a week, I wondered if I was worth anything in life. :cry:

Work hard and kick GMAT's butt. The next time while practising if u get a question wrong, close ur eyes and imagine that this was the question that you got wrong on ur first attempt. The feeling should hurt.

I'll be taking GMAT again in a month. Lets kill the sucker exam and get back our peace of mind.! :2gunfire:

Don't loose heart. All the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel, my friend, I was looking at this forum for the last one week, expecting to see your GMAT experience post. I knew you were writing this/last week and were targetting 650-680 range.

I think,
1. GMAT = 70% hardwork + 10% knowledge + 20% luck.
And the 10% knowledge can be acquired by another 10% hardwork. So any score is attainable.
2. GMAT is a part of life and it does not define who you are in life.

You can turn this negative experience to have a positive effect for your next attempt. Think of it like another practice exam you did, just to find out your weakness and timing. It has paid of well in clearly showing the weaknesses to you.

Good thing is that you are positive and taking it light, after the exam. We are here to study with you. Take a deserving vacation and see you back on the field.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
:) thanks for the words hardworker_indian...

I take it easy on the score because I think it's better for me to get q42- v27 than q35 - v35. At least I know that I am weak in Verbal and that I need to work harder on it. Moreover I was totally lost in time...I need to correct this quite fast. I can work on it. It will be easier than work on the verbal part :?

Moreover I take it easy also because an MBA is one potential way for me but it's not going to predict my life too...I am 25, I can still do it within a few years.
However, now I feel like it's a personal challenge ! I want to beat this test to death....I can not quit after such a score. I just want to try my best.

Thanks also Newkid for sharing with us, I've read before your post when I was training mysel, seems we are in the same boat Newkid...hope we will reach the GMAT beach with all our mates here :wink:

Fortunately, there will be something great that is going to happen this week and that will make me forget about this Gmat disappointment :
my 100th post in this forum is coming soon :king :cool :king
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel.. give yourself a bit of a break, and then come back and hit it hard. The more CR's you do (and understand), the easier they get. Likewise with QUANT. With enough studying, any question is a repeat of another question you've done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Antmavel...sorry to hear abt that.

But you have turned around quick and thats what really matters.

With tons of success stories to get inspired from ..its just matter of time till you pick up the gauntlet.

Even tho you are right when you say that you need to work on verbal ...I would say that you have to put in some amount of work on the quant part too.And if you ask me gaining points on quant wud be much more easier than verbal.

Just chill for 2-3 days before you start your prep again.

-Vivek.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the tip and the advice vivek_dj, really appreciated.
I agree, Maths points are easier to get than verbal.

However, I have some strange skills. I am able to do better combinations, probabilities and geometry than some easy problems just using complicated numbers.

For instance : [square root (0.000025) * (5^3)]/ [0.5 * 10^5]
For me it's a nightmare, I am quite bad, I usually panic and I don't know where to begin...So in fact I prefer the working rate, the distance problem, the probabilities and even the combinations than those kind of problems...

I am gonna work hard and be back stronger. I'll let you know everything of course :wink:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Antmavel

Sorry about the score. Hope you will do better next time. Take some time off and think about what needs to be changed in your prep this time around. You should consider practising with the Math Challenge archives. It might help you with timing and a little bit with concepts.

take care.

Regards
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats the spirit Antmavel...keep your chin up.

-Vivek.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
antmavel:

from my experience (doing poorly the first time and then doing better the second time) - take some time off for now. take a few weeks to relax, and then come back to the gmat with a vengeance!

regarding verbal - SC seems to be the hardest thing for non native speakers, so that bears most risk. but you can practice CR and RC and get really good at that. believe it or not, CR is almost a science... just break the statements down into pieces, find the argument, and you will come up with a solution. for RC - the answer is right infront of you (literally). all you need to do is get good and sifting through the clutter. doing well on CR and RC will nullify or mitigate any risk in SC (it helped me).

as far as quants go - i am sure you have what it takes to get to the high 40s. DON'T LET ANYTHING SCARE YOU! in the example you posted above, here's how i would solve it quickly:

<quote>
For instance : [square root (0.000025) * (5^3)]/ [0.5 * 10^5]
</quote>

1. first, see that there are a lot of 5s and 10s... and you're multiplying and dividing so there is a lot of cancelling out you can do... this is not as bad as it looks. break the problem down to basic parts, solve, and then put it back together..

sqrt(0.000025) = sqrt( 25/1000000 ). that looks really easy to solve doesn't it? it now becomes 5/1000. also, note that (.5 * 100000) = 100000/2 = 50,000.

so the equation can now be re written:

[(5^4)/1000]*[1/50000]

if you cancel out the fraction and reduce, you quickly can get rid of all the 5s and end up with 1/8000. note that 1/8 is 0.125, so 1/8000 has to be 0.000125.

there are lots of ways of doing problems like these, and this is only one solution, but you really don't need to be scared of these. just look at the question, "see" the concepts (reducing, quick multiplying, etc) and then attack. remember, this question CAN be solved in 2 minutes - you ask yourself what concepts the writer of the question was trying to test.

anyway, sorry for the long post. i wish you the best!

ecdysis.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
antmavel,

I agree with yr conclusion. My observations regarding the sacred "ets algo" are:

1. Experimental Qs are distributed uniformly within each section, with the bulk appearing in the middle of the section.
2. Consecutive guessing is like shooting yrself in the foot. Hence, if u guess on Q 12, then spend more time on Q13...
3. Difficulty level drops after the 15th question but the "stumped" experience is maintained by increasing the number of experimental ques.
4. Last Qs are Real test Qs and some of them are simple, but might require lengthy calculations.

I would suggest that you analyze yr mistakes, read some posts from the "experience with GMAT" section, and then "nail it" once and for all. Don't make this a life/death or an ego issue. I think there is more to life than the GMAT. Its just a passing phase; 5 yrs hence, we wouldn't even bother abt it.

:gl ,
pkj
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am back in the game...
for some reasons, I've received 2 Gmat Powerprep 2 days after my Gmat exam :roll: It's mainly due to the fact that I am living in china so maybe the transit time is not so fast ^_^

Anyway, just got the 2 powerprep stuff... I've done one already downloaded from MBA.com wbesite so yesterday I've done the second one. Same problem but this time I did better in Maths than usually :
640 (q49 - v28)

hope to progress in verbal soon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel ,

I think focusing on your weak areas (Quant or Verbal) will the most important thing. As regards your fears with ....sqrt (0.000025 X5^3)~.... -> I suggest just pick-up a book like "schaum series", work those problems out in 10-12 hrs. and you will be good.

Vira
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts