Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Any consulting folks? [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I had these from last fall since generally MC reputation is viewed in the same regards as GM reputation. Obviously this doesnt take into account the fact Wharton is larger than others and MIT is smaller than the other UEs.

Wharton...McKinsey=56, BCG=47, Bain=32
Kellogg...McKinsey=54, BCG=27, Bain=27
Chicago...McKinsey=33, BCG=18, Bain=13
MIT...McKinsey=27, BCG=16, Bain=17
Ross...McKinsey=13, BCG=11, Bain=8
Duke...McKinsey=11, BCG=4, Bain=3

Great stats. Kudos. I wonder what the #s at HBS/Stanford are.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would say HBS would be inline with Wharton but maybe a little stronger...at Wharton 190 went into consulting and 135 went to the big 3 (so roughly 70%). So it will probably similar at HBS and Stanford...even there not everyone is going to be at the top companies.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How does Diamond ( formerly DiamondCluster) rank in the scheme of things?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Cool stuff, river. +1 from me, too. Are these stats taken from those schools' employment reports?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
from last falls employment reports.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thank you - Kudos. It seems Wharton has a lot more geographic diversity for the domestic offices compared to Columbia.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
filmcity wrote:
How does Diamond ( formerly DiamondCluster) rank in the scheme of things?

Its a good firm, you should definitely consider them. It isn't known especially well - no big 3 for sure - but its a well respected firm. I know many people there, PM me if you have qs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Hey I work at PwC Advisory doing consulting work. The issue is that since each of the Big 4 (besides Deliotte) sold their practices, and they can't use specific verbiage as part of those deals. Hence the use of word Advisory. But they all do similar work. One of the main differences is Deliotte can actually do implementations. In my perspective and based on people I know working there, I would think think Deliotte is more of a Big 4 that also does implementation work a a la ACN, IBM, and Capgemini (all formerly part of a Big 5).

The type of consulting projects PwC Advisory does focuses on Financial Management, Health care, IT, Risk, Investigations, etc. It isn't strategy work nor technical implementation, but rather in between those two. While majority of Advisory are hired out of undergraduate, there are a lot of MBA grads, including from top schools like NYU, Virginia, Texas, and USC.

Edit: Sorry, I blanked and didn't see all the responses after Page 1.

As an addendum, there are a couple small groups that do true consulting work and go head to head against McK and DC on a regular basis. It is true Transaction Services is a different group, though given the lack of M&A activity, they are moving towards more consulting assignments. I have had the experiences that terp is talking about as well, the work I did when I started with the firm wasn't truly consulting (as I was told I would be doing when I joined the firm), but the work I do now is more under the classical definition. Thus, it does exist and it is growing, but not the biggest part.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kidro2001 wrote:
Hey I work at PwC Advisory doing consulting work.

Would your partner agree with the term "consulting"?

Also, I'm curious, what groups do these Texas/NYU/etc MBAs work in? What level do they come in at? I saw a few MBAs from lower-ranked schools during my time at the Big 4 and it seemed like most of them came in at senior associate positions (compensation: $62-78k).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Cant speak for PwC ... but here in Toronto our Corp Strat practice and some of the other grps within Strategy & Ops pick up substantial folks from Rotman, Ivey and Schulich (the 3 top Canadian schools). I believe comp starts at 90K ... I am not sure what the band is.

terp06 wrote:
kidro2001 wrote:
Hey I work at PwC Advisory doing consulting work.

Would your partner agree with the term "consulting"?

Also, I'm curious, what groups do these Texas/NYU/etc MBAs work in? What level do they come in at? I saw a few MBAs from lower-ranked schools during my time at the Big 4 and it seemed like most of them came in at senior associate positions (compensation: $62-78k).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I believe it - they have all sorts of practices in Canada, Europe, and Asia and are allowed to undertake a lot more work. I was speaking only for the United States offices. I would be extremely surprised if I saw a strategy practice or strategy work being undertaken by KPMG, E&Y, PwC, or Deloitte & Touche (with the exception of Deloitte Consulting, which is a separate entity) here in the US.

In the 80s and 90s, these were still desirable places to work for MBAs because of the variety of consulting assignments that they would do. Today, if you ask any MBA at an M7 school whether they would like to go work for a Big 4 accounting firm in the US - they will simply laugh at you. If they are assigned anything resembling a "strategic" assignment, it will most likely take up 20% or less of their year, with the other 80%+ being spent on mind-numbing compliance work.
Current Student
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
I would tend to agree with your assessment although all things said .. the Big 4 career path is not at all shabby considering the work life balance that can be achieved.

Lets see ... I will use Deloitte & Touche LLP USA - Audit and Enterprise Risk as an example

Post MBA - you land as a Mgr - comp 80-100K

Spend 2-3 yrs and move up to Sr. Mgr - 100-125K

Spend 4-6yr and move up to Principal/Director/Partner - 275-1Mil

Once you start becoming a senior partner and get responsibilities for geographies I can easily folks making upwards of 1.75-2mil.

So given that you 'can' achieve some balance it certainly isnt a shabby place to have a career.

terp06 wrote:
I believe it - they have all sorts of practices in Canada, Europe, and Asia and are allowed to undertake a lot more work. I was speaking only for the United States offices. I would be extremely surprised if I saw a strategy practice or strategy work being undertaken by KPMG, E&Y, PwC, or Deloitte & Touche (with the exception of Deloitte Consulting, which is a separate entity) here in the US.

In the 80s and 90s, these were still desirable places to work for MBAs because of the variety of consulting assignments that they would do. Today, if you ask any MBA at an M7 school whether they would like to go work for a Big 4 accounting firm in the US - they will simply laugh at you. If they are assigned anything resembling a "strategic" assignment, it will most likely take up 20% or less of their year, with the other 80%+ being spent on mind-numbing compliance work.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Starting as a manager post-MBA? I've never heard of that in the US. I must say that I am not as familiar with D&T, I am a lot more familiar with E&Y and KPMG. These firms don't value MBAs - they value CPAs and Masters of Accounting degrees. An MBA does not add a lot of value to audit work.

Your compensation targets seem to be in line, except most (> 80%) of the partners cap out in the 250-750 range and the rate of pay escalations is very slow (i.e. most of them won't see 750 until they've put in at least 20 years with the firm). I don't know if other firms are very different, or if the partners at my firm were just fiscally conservative like most accountants are, but even the senior-most (i.e. practice group head or office head) partners at the firm I worked at lived in houses worth around $400-500k and drove modest American-made cars. Not one of them lived in the city or in an upper-class suburb - this didn't exactly scream seven-figure comp packages to me. You need to be a star to get beyond that. Regardless, there are some nice cushy benefits like a pension, guaranteed retirement at age 60, etc. If you like accounting, it's a good path. But don't ever delude yourself into thinking you're a consultant if you work at one of these places.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
My partner probably is more cognizant of restricted terms, so may not use those words outright, but yes, it would be referred to as such. But I agree with your original point about so much of Advisory being transaction related. But I've seen both sides and there is a clear difference. But its still not strategy, and I never claimed as such. In my opinion, there is a difference between Audit/Audit Support projects and the consulting projects.

The two groups I know are Financial Management and Risk (my group). Almost everyone in those group comes in an MBA program, usually as a Sr. Associate.

By the way, you can offer any work you want to a client you don't provide, providing it isn't by limited by other business arrangements.

At Texas for example, look how many go back to Big 4s. I think on Hjort's post about the school, it claims as such.
Current Student
Send PM
I am assuming a accounting/risk management background prior to the MBA. Otherwise you wont be an attractive candidate in many parts of the firm.

As far as them not being true consultants - no argument on that fron from me. However - my point was quite different. i.e. this may very well be a satisfying career path for many folks who are unable/unwilling to make some of the sacrifices associated with M/B/B.

terp06 wrote:
Starting as a manager post-MBA? I've never heard of that in the US. I must say that I am not as familiar with D&T, I am a lot more familiar with E&Y and KPMG. These firms don't value MBAs - they value CPAs and Masters of Accounting degrees. An MBA does not add a lot of value to audit work.

Your compensation targets seem to be in line, except most (> 80%) of the partners cap out in the 250-750 range and the rate of pay escalations is very slow (i.e. most of them won't see 750 until they've put in at least 20 years with the firm). I don't know if other firms are very different, or if the partners at my firm were just fiscally conservative like most accountants are, but even the senior-most (i.e. practice group head or office head) partners at the firm I worked at lived in houses worth around $400-500k and drove modest American-made cars. Not one of them lived in the city or in an upper-class suburb - this didn't exactly scream seven-figure comp packages to me. You need to be a star to get beyond that. Regardless, there are some nice cushy benefits like a pension, guaranteed retirement at age 60, etc. If you like accounting, it's a good path. But don't ever delude yourself into thinking you're a consultant if you work at one of these places.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
I am assuming a accounting/risk management background prior to the MBA. Otherwise you wont be an attractive candidate in many parts of the firm.

As far as them not being true consultants - no argument on that fron from me. However - my point was quite different. i.e. this may very well be a satisfying career path for many folks who are unable/unwilling to make some of the sacrifices associated with M/B/B.

What's the point of getting an MBA if you already have an accounting/risk management background and want to go back into it? It's certainly not necessary to advance - and these firms never pay for their employees to get MBAs. They know that once employees get MBAs, they will usually be gone from the firm and they will not return.

I can see what you mean by the differences in lifestyle between Big 4 and M/B/B. However, personally, I don't know if the differences in lifestyle are enough to warrant the difference in pay/prestige. Big 4 partners still travel around a fair bit and work some long hours - although I would venture to guess not as much as M/B/B partners.
Current Student
Send PM
Cant speak for the accounting side but in the Risk Mgmt space I am seeing a lot of folks do the MBA (often times an Exec one) as they get more senior.

In any case, I am not in the Acct/Risk mgmt side so doesnt apply to me. But overall I think this is not a bad backup choice for many folks.

terp06 wrote:
sm332 wrote:

What's the point of getting an MBA if you already have an accounting/risk management background and want to go back into it? It's certainly not necessary to advance - and these firms never pay for their employees to get MBAs. They know that once employees get MBAs, they will usually be gone from the firm and they will not return.

I can see what you mean by the differences in lifestyle between Big 4 and M/B/B. However, personally, I don't know if the differences in lifestyle are enough to warrant the difference in pay/prestige. Big 4 partners still travel around a fair bit and work some long hours - although I would venture to guess not as much as M/B/B partners.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4