Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 2.36
Send PM
Re: Anybody preparing for GMAT to get admission in PhD? [#permalink]
AprajitaG wrote:
Hi,

I am also working towards PhD in Management (focus on Consumer Behavior). Would love to get in touch with individuals who are pursuing the same goal.

Aprajita

Hi Aparajita
Are you going to apply next year or you have already applied?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi There,

I am preparing for GMAT and have plan to appear for test in March 2019. I have my interest for PHD in Marketing or OB.

BudapestDreams wrote:
Is there anyone preparing for GMAT for PhD in Business? Let's work together!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello,

I am currently studying for the GMAT so that I can apply to Finance PhD programs in the T150 for Fall 2020
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi AprajitaG

I'm also working towards securing a PhD marketing (consumer behaviour) admit. Fall 2020 admission cycle, and I am planning to write my GMAT in April. Would be great to get in touch!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Danyal14 wrote:
Hi There,

I am preparing for GMAT and have plan to appear for test in March 2019. I have my interest for PHD in Marketing or OB.

BudapestDreams wrote:
Is there anyone preparing for GMAT for PhD in Business? Let's work together!

Hi Danyal14

I am interested in a PhD in Marketing (Consumer Behaviour). I am preparing for GMAT, planning to sit the test in end of March/early April 2019. Would be great to get in touch! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Preparing for GMAT for a PHD in Project management/Strategy in USA/CANADA/SINGAPORE.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Yeah, I am starting to prepare for GMAT to secure an admission for PhD. After nearly 10 years of working and has lost the entire grip on studies, I wonder how I could score good in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello Everyone

Found this thread to be extremely useful especially in learning about GMAT scores across top schools. Would love to know how much of TA/RA experience weighs in?
I am targeting PhD in OB and leadership effectiveness as these are the areas I have been consulting organizations all across the world but know I wish to explore the discipline and undertake interdisciplinary research

Background

I am a McKinsey consultant by profession based out of New Delhi India. I was working in the organization practice particularly around culture and change management for our clients. It involved survey setups, data collection and analysis and finally workshops etc. to implement change
I completed my MBA in Human Resources, about 2 years back from Symbiosis University, wherein I was a University Gold Medalist with a GPA of 8.9/10 (4.0/4.0). Currently, I have left my job as I wanted more time to prep for PhD applications and consulting left me crunched for time. My motivation to pursue PhD stems from the interest in research areas and creation of further knowledge. I have well experienced the delivery side of frameworks and theories

Help from you
As I start to prepare for applications , SoPs etc , would love to know your perspectives around:

1. How important is RA/TA experience as a part of application? (I have published one paper but do not have extensive experience)
2. Will a career break contribute 'negatively' to my application?
3. I understand 700+ should be a good score to apply but do you think consulting advantage could help if I miss out by 10-20 points? In mocks am hitting 680, 690 already

Happy to personally connect and share my experiences so far as well :)

Thanks

Regards
Hullas
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hullas wrote:
Hello Everyone

Found this thread to be extremely useful especially in learning about GMAT scores across top schools. Would love to know how much of TA/RA experience weighs in?
I am targeting PhD in OB and leadership effectiveness as these are the areas I have been consulting organizations all across the world but know I wish to explore the discipline and undertake interdisciplinary research

Background

I am a McKinsey consultant by profession based out of New Delhi India. I was working in the organization practice particularly around culture and change management for our clients. It involved survey setups, data collection and analysis and finally workshops etc. to implement change
I completed my MBA in Human Resources, about 2 years back from Symbiosis University, wherein I was a University Gold Medalist with a GPA of 8.9/10 (4.0/4.0). Currently, I have left my job as I wanted more time to prep for PhD applications and consulting left me crunched for time. My motivation to pursue PhD stems from the interest in research areas and creation of further knowledge. I have well experienced the delivery side of frameworks and theories

Help from you
As I start to prepare for applications , SoPs etc , would love to know your perspectives around:

1. How important is RA/TA experience as a part of application? (I have published one paper but do not have extensive experience)
2. Will a career break contribute 'negatively' to my application?
3. I understand 700+ should be a good score to apply but do you think consulting advantage could help if I miss out by 10-20 points? In mocks am hitting 680, 690 already

Happy to personally connect and share my experiences so far as well :)

Thanks

Regards
Hullas

Hi Hullas,

Point-wise ----

* How important is TA/RA experience? Not important.
* Published Paper? Very Good.
* Career Break and its impact? Your career break is not big at all, considering mine, which is 10+ years, since I last attended any kind of classroom as a student.
* 700 or anything above is indeed great! But don't waste your sleep over it if you can't score that much. Since your research will be in OB, you don't really kill yourself for 700+ scores in GMAT.

This is also a time to connect with Professors in your target universities (please don't apply MBA way of thinking while choosing your universities). I have already written a long post on that. Try to excite them with your research proposal/idea. Finally they will be your advocate at the time of application evaluation.
Also, identify your recommenders and make a team of 4-5 potential recommenders (you might need 2 or 3).

All the best!
Rudra
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi rudraphd

Thanks a ton for sharing your wisdom here :)
For career break specifically, I meant i have left my job to prep for GMAT and pursue prep for applications. Do you think this could be taken negatively?

Also, would love to read your blog!

Thanks!

Regards
Hullas
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Hullas wrote:
Hi rudraphd

Thanks a ton for sharing your wisdom here :)
For career break specifically, I meant i have left my job to prep for GMAT and pursue prep for applications. Do you think this could be taken negatively?

Also, would love to read your blog!

Thanks!

Regards
Hullas

Oh! How long the break was then?

As such a break for GMAT preparation is not looked favorably upon by any admission committee - MBA or PhD.
Did you do anything else during that period? Published papers? Worked as independent consultant?

I think if you can explain it, then it is good. I also think that since PhD is not a business degree, the impact of that break will be less.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks rudraphd for a quick reply
I have just quit my job, it has been a week only. I am planning to work with a start-up alongside around skill building and in research. Consulting was hectic and I absolutely had no time to prep for things :(

I agree with you, will need a good story

Regards
Hullas
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts