It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 1

Re: Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2010, 00:41
More than the 2% misdiagnoses,it is important to know that the 98% of the
cases do infact have APPENDICITIS and hence are not unnecessary
Am tending towards C

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2010, 05:40
OA is 'B'

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 05:43
yup B must be the answer

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 17

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1514 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2010, 05:36
IMO B.

I was confused b/w B and E. I went ahead with my intution.

Conclusion: Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since.

C is wrong because it says ALL where in the argument we are given 98% accurate results.

E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or
more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis [Extereme case]

GMBA85 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with
symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their appendix removed. The
appropriate surgery is low-risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A
newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two
misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid
unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary
ones than before, since .

A. the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis
invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis

B. the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis
to someone who does not, in fact, have it

C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact,
have appendicitis

D. every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one
of the symptoms generally associated with appendicitis

E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or
more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis

Can someone also explain what does the last line mean?

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Kudos [?]: 1514 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2012, 08:05
I still don;t understand why the OA is B.

What is the wrong with E - I don't think it is extreme to use 'the only patients'; B also uses the word 'always'. Any more explanations?

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2012, 11:07
The word "always" used in "B" is necessary to back up the claim made in the last sentence that "doctors can largely avoid
unnecessary removals of the appendix without, without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before"
the bold portion can only be true if the 2 misdiagnoses per 100 are cases of false positives.. If they were false negatives then the doctors WOULD HAVE performed fewer necessary surgeries which does not logically follow from the previous sentence.

Also E seems logically unrelated to the previous sentence because there is nothing in the paragraph that suggests that the test only misdiagnoses those patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis. Also as a side note, it also suggests that the misdiagnoses are false negatives, which again contradicts the last line of the paragraph which says that doctors will not perform any fewer necessary surgeries..

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:32
karun0109 wrote:
The word "always" used in "B" is necessary to back up the claim made in the last sentence that "doctors can largely avoid
unnecessary removals of the appendix without, without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before"
the bold portion can only be true if the 2 misdiagnoses per 100 are cases of false positives.. If they were false negatives then the doctors WOULD HAVE performed fewer necessary surgeries which does not logically follow from the previous sentence.

Also E seems logically unrelated to the previous sentence because there is nothing in the paragraph that suggests that the test only misdiagnoses those patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis. Also as a side note, it also suggests that the misdiagnoses are false negatives, which again contradicts the last line of the paragraph which says that doctors will not perform any fewer necessary surgeries..

So, we have to break down the last sentence like below (this sentence confused me a lot):
From the passage:
"Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since ."

Break down:
1. Doctors are able to avoid unnecessary surgeries
2. But, in that process, they would miss some REQUIRED surgeries.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 15:43
"Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since ."

Actually, the break down would be:
1. Doctors are able to avoid unnecessary surgeries
2. But they would NOT miss performing ANY necessary ones. :)

WITHOUT is the key word. the doctors would avoid performing unnecessary removals of the appendix WITHOUT having to perform any fewer necessary ones.

Also note that ANY is the extreme word that demands the extreme logical addition of "always". ANY implies that the doctors would not miss out on performing even 1 fewer surgery than necessary....

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 00:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost always have their appendix removed. The appropriate surgery is low-risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since ____________.
A. the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis
B. the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it
C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact, have appendicitis
D. every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one of the symptoms
generally associated with appendicitis
E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that
are generally associated with appendicitis

I dont understand the OA.Guys explain.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
Basically the info that fills the blank is the one that suggests why in spite of using the internal scan the number of surgery performed will not decrease. We need some information regarding the misdiagnosed case. B fills the gap saying the misdiagnosed cases are infact not the misdiagnosed ones; they actually dont have appendicitis. hence the number actually infected is not reduced and hence the necessary removals will not decrease.

Hence B.

Hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

WE 1: 2.10

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 04:06
B it is...
Agree with kraizada84... rest of the options dont make much sense in filling the gap.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 55

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 13:07
Also c and e are easily eliminated due to the extreme word.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 55

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2012, 08:17
I think I am the only one who doesn't understand even a bit of the justification mentioned above for answer B.

Argument states in conclusion :

A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since......(something that could justify the conclusion)

What I interpret from Argument is :

Despite of producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses, new test will help doctors to avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without performing fewer necessary ones than before. This is because.....................this test, if results in misdiagnosis, can only have false negative ( a person has appendicitis but diagnosed as not having one) but not false positive ( a person doesn't have appendicitis but diagnosed as having one). This means, A person who doesn't have appendicitis will never be diagnosed as having one and Doctor will never have to remove the appendix.

Now let's dissect options B and C (I don't see A, D, E have much relevance anyway)

B. the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it
=> This is a case of False Positives (Wrong Alarm). And It will obviously result in "Unnecessarry removal of Appendix"

C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact, have appendicitis
=> This can be interpreted as a case of "NO False Positives (Wrong Alarm)". And It will not result in "Unnecessarry removal of Appendix". However, it may have false negatives (No Alarm, when there should be one).

Although "Option C" 'll harm those people who were not diagnosed with Appendicitis despite of having one, it strengthens the conclusion of this argument

As I am not with Official answer, I need expert views on this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 13:59
LETS SAY

earlier 100 operations ( 20 unnecessary , 80 necessary)--all were operated no matter the misdiagnosis

NOW

98 sure shot operated, fate of 2 is unknown

If they have disease and are not operated the conclusion falls apart. Therefore, we need something to show that they will be operated if they actually have it.

Choice B tells that..no matter the misdiagnosis they will be operated...proving the conclusion that " no fewer than necessary ops will take place"

therefore, B. Hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 08:51
I chose B.
Anyone have the OA?
Experts?

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 12:12
I dont think it is B and IMO it could be A or C. I chose C

B- This test used in B refers to the test which can accurately diagnose appendicitis. So it is the throwing negative light on this stating the misdiagnosis of the test is attributed to the people who actually dont have it

A- There is no concrete information that the medical condition is less serious than appendicitis. it may not be appendicitis but any other ailment which may still be serious

C -Though all is an extreme usage, this option prcisely tells why " performing any fewer necessary ones than before" which means, the scan does not misdiagnose any patient who is actually suffering with appendicitis to be suffering with a lesser disease

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1062 [4], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Just to be sure - The OA is B) and the question is part of GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 - Mock 3

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their appendix removed. The appropriate surgery is low-risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since _____ .

Basically, the doctors can reduce the unnecessary operations but cannot avoid the necessary operations, using the new test. So, misdiagnosis is always shows Positive for negative cases or false negative cases. If it is the other way around, the false positive cases, the doctors will be performing more necessary removals.

A. the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis
- OFS as we are not talking about other medical conditions

Correct as mentioned above

C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact,have appendicitis
It doesn't say about the misdiagnosis. If the misdiagnosis is false positive, that will increase the necessary removals

D. every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one of the symptoms generally associated with appendicitis
We are not talking about the symptoms associated with appendicities

E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis
It doesn't explain why unnecessary removals can be done by the doctors

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1062 [4], given: 548

18 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [18], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I read this in other forum and it help me understand better the solution. See if helps anyone:

"Complete the passage questions are like inference questions. You will most likely have to put in the correct conclusion or else (as here) a correct piece of evidence that would logically support the conclusion. As with other inference questions, the best approach is to follow the gist of the passage, make a deduction and scan for a match.

Here, the author is arguing that the scan will obviate the need for surgeons to perform unnecessary appendectomies. Really? Let's examine what we have learned about the scan: the misdiagnosis rate is 2%. But are the misdiagnoses false positives or false negatives? A false positive is where the scan says you have appendictis when you don't while a false negative is when the scan fails to pick up that a patient has appendictis when in fact they do. False positives are not risky here b/c if a person who doesn't have appendictis gets his/her appendix removed, its no big deal. On the other hand, false negatives are very risky b/c if a person who has appendicitis doesn't get his/her appendix removed, then they may die. So, in order for the author's conclusion to be correct, the kind of misdiagnoses the scan makes must be false positives and not false negatives. That would be the piece of evidence that would support the conclusion (we know we want to put in some evidence here b/c the passage ends with "since'). That is our deduction, and now we scan for a match....choice B."

-> I think the statement we need to fill is a piece of information that will guarantee that they will perform "ALL THE NECESSARY" operations, in this case even when is a misdiagnoses. I think C does not clear that as well as B. C lives room to ask "what about the misdiagnoses?"

Hope it helps!

Kudos [?]: 26 [18], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 385 [1], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2014, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
The answer to this question will come when we asses how Pat gave response to Mei.
Mei says that best candidates will still not be attracted some benefits have been removed that have been compensated by an increase in salary but this will have little incentive for able candidates to join now.
Pat replies that the salary increase does improve the situation as few judges give lectures.
Pat actually says that the increase in salary will attract candidates ( but he does not talk about the whether able candidates will still be attracted or not).

A. attempts to assess how a certain change will affect potential members of a group by providing evidence about its effect on the current members.
-- Correct for the reason stated above.
B. mistakenly takes the cause of a certain change to be an effect of that change
-- There is no cause and affect in this argument.
C. attempts to argue that a certain change will have a positive effect merely by pointing to the absence of negative effects.
-- Out of scope.
D. simply denies Mel’s claim without putting forward any evidence in support of that denial
-- Out of scope.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 385 [1], given: 886

Re: Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2014, 11:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ] 

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap