Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good one Drucker

All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Re: my two cents [#permalink]
drucker_fan wrote:
Hi,
a few people have summarized their experience very well, but I will put in my two cents too:

Thanks drucker_fan - that was very helpful. I am also in the category of Indian/Male/Software Engineer so your experience with the application process is particularly relevant to me.

My biggest concern about my application is that I've been working for a tech company for about 5 years (in the US) but due to a very flat structure of our organization, I am not yet at a formal managerial position. This is not to say that my performance has not been good or that I've not shown leadership potential or that I have not made a difference to the teams that I've worked with - I have; but the bottom line is that my designation has been the same for the last 5 years - so how do I portray career growth on my application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
english_august,
I had the same problem -- my software company is extremely flat and its not unusual for a first-level manager to have fifty direct reports. I really couldn't come up with good examples of leadership at work. There were times when I led small groups for small projects, but they weren't all that great and I didn't write about them in my essays (I made sure that my recommenders knew about these, however :-) )

I have heard that adcoms do realize that many of the 'new economy' software companies have very flat structures, and therefore, not being a formal manager after a few years of experience is ok. However, I showed progression at work -- I got a promotion last year, and when I changed jobs some years ago, I had a significant increase in responsibilities. In fact, at both interviews, I was asked exactly why I was promoted. I would advise you to wait for a year or two before applying so that you can show a promotion. This is just my opinion -- perhaps other people here think differently. If you can't wait, then at least show a steady addition/progression in your duties. If applicable, perhaps a recommender can write that you are going to get promoted soon? Have you mentored any colleagues at work?

I believe that one's application really depends on how one positions and markets oneself. Fortunately, I have good experience (> 10 years) as a leader/organizer in hiking and environmental clubs, and wrote about leadership in those roles. I think this is fine -- it also shows adcoms that one has a life outside of work, and goes beyond the casual 'member of XYZ club' extracurricular activities mentioned by many. Think about all the experiences you had since college -- I'm sure that you can come up with a few activities that can be presented as examples of leadership potential. But explore these experiences in detail and don't make them superficial or glib. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
How does age factor in? [#permalink]
I am sure many non-residents on this forum must have grappled with this issue so I am hoping to benefit from their experience.

I am planning to apply for Fall 08; my green card application has been pending for almost 4 years now and though there is no certainty in the entire process, I am sure that I should have it in less than 2 years. I would prefer to start my B school after I get my green card so that I don't have to deal with the issues of getting onto the student visa and then try to get the work visa after graduation. But my concern is age. I'd be 33 in Fall 08 and I feel that I am already late by a couple of years and if I delay until Fall 09 to wait for my green card, that would be even worse.

What do folks think about it? Should I wait until to start until 09? Or will it be too late by then? I know that it is my decision to make but I am sure your advice will be very helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
drucker_fan wrote:
..................progression, and strong extracurriculars". This can be different for you: for example, my friend aimed for a one-line summary of 'quant god with clear MBA goals' -- but then again, he has a BS + MS from MIT (both with full scholarships), more than a dozen patents in his field, many publications, and a GMAT of 780 (he applied to H/S/W/MIT and was accepted at all). The aim is to create an overall impression of you that makes you a unique candidate and beyond a statistic. This impression has to be bolstered by all the individual parts of your application.
............!

Respect to drucker_fan for this awesome post.....but I am curious as to where your super achiever friend joined?? As in if I were in his shoes (hey that can be my U-Chic essay 2 - who's shoes do I wanna be in)........then I would personally pick MIT........

And congrats to you too for Berk. Applying to only 2 schools must have taken guts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Respect to drucker_fan for this awesome post.....but I am curious as to where your super achiever friend joined?? As in if I were in his shoes (hey that can be my U-Chic essay 2 - who's shoes do I wanna be in)........then I would personally pick MIT........

And congrats to you too for Berk. Applying to only 2 schools must have taken guts

Thanks! No guts required, just a mixture of foolishness + pig-headedness in the right ratio :-) Good luck to you at Chicago.

My friend went to Wharton, where he received a substantial scholarship.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks drucker_fan! i'm applying to UCLA and Haas, and many people have said that it's crazy to not have a backup school (also applying to Stanford, but that doesn't help my situation at all). I have similar backgrounds as you (except I'm Chinese American) in terms of work experience, extracurricular leadership, and a well-roundedness of my personality. I'll definitely follow your advice and really be aggressive with all three schools I'm applying to, visiting, getting to know students and adcom, and portraying myself as a good person to have around. Your post is invaluable to me! Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
School Name : Applied to Columbia ED and HBS, Stanford, Wharton, and Kellogg R1, Admits: Columbia (attending), Wharton (after W/L), DWIs: HBS, Stanford, Withdrew: Kellogg

What do you think worked for you in the application?

Being well rounded, I had only been working two years at the time I applied so I didn't manage a team or anything but was able to show leadership through my many activities.

What was the X-factor in this application which wasn't present in your unsuccessful ones?

Honestly I'm proud of all of my applications. I think I represented myself well, but the schools that dinged me are the hardest ones to crack. I think given my goals and interests I had the best fit with Columbia.

How did you show that you fit with your admit school? Did you visit the school?

Yes, I visited the school. Interestingly enough Wharton and Columbia were the only schools that I visited out of the ones I applied to and that's where I got in. Coincidence? Maybe not. I'm going into media and the program at Columbia is great plus being in either NYC or LA is a huge advantage, so I was able to convince them that they're my #1 choice. The key is to link the school's advantages to things that'll help you get ahead when it comes to your career goals. Also, I mentioned a lot of specific classes and programs at each of the schools and how they would help me get where I'm going. Show that you've truly researched the program and that you know how you're going to take advantage of the resources once you are there.

Was your GMAT ever mentioned as a specific plus point during the admissions process,by ad-com or interviewer?

No, I got right around the class average so while my co-workers were impressed I doubt it was anything special to the adcom

If you got a positive note from your interviewer or ad-com, what was it?

I got positive feedback at the end of my Columbia interview. That interview went really really well. If you do an alumni interview don't just pick someone randomly. Do your due diligence. When given a list of potential interviewers I Googled each one and used that info to determine who will be most sympathetic to your candidacy. My interviewer ended up being a perfect match but only because I had done my homework. Also, it's important to have a game plan for someone who may not be your ideal match. For Wharton I had to e-mail nine people before one responsed and agreed to interview me. This person was not at the top of my list otherwise.

Did you take care to emphasize certain aspects of your profile?If yes, what were they? Why did you choose to emphasize them?

Yes, my extracurriculars are what really help me stand out in a good way. I have lots, some that are related to my career goals, so it helped me develop my path more clearly.

Did you deliberately choose to omit certain aspects of your profile, specific to your admit school? What were they and why did you omit? Did you include these data points in other applications?

Yes, I avoided talking about my undergrad wherever possible. I really did not have a great experience there so I just didn't bring up the subject. Also, my grades while not terrible really do not reflect my potential, so while I reported them I didn't bring them anywhere else so as not to draw too much attention to my spotty transcript.

Application DO's:

Start early. Get together a list of stories that you can write about. What helps is going through your life and pulling out all of the interesting things that happened to you or that you did and describe the experience, describe the action you took, describe the effect on others, and describe what you learned from it. Have a good career goal story planned out. If you don't know what you wanna do be good at faking it, IB or consulting always works because they're so broad and the ultra-elites and elites know you can get a job doing that if you want one coming out of their school and you need an MBA to get into those fields at the associate level. I used consulting in a media & entertainment group as my goal because although I know I want to go into media & entertainment, I don't know what I specifically want to do functionally speaking. An industry on its own does not a career goal make. Schools want to admit people who will be able to reach their career goals, so be realistic. Your career goal should also be something that you need an MBA for. This means you have to know your target industry, don't say you want an MBA so you can switch careers and be a movie director, that's what an MFA is for, but if you want to be a producer and then open a production company then an MBA may very well be for you. I think reflection and self-awareness is very important in the application process. Research, research, research the programs that you apply to. Make each school know that it's your #1. Apply only to schools that you would be excited to attend, the investment of time and money is too great for you to fall in the "woulda been a contender" mind trap. Also apply to a school or two that you think might be a stretch.

Applicant DONT's:

If you decide to do Columbia ED apply as early as possible so that you get your result before December (they guarantee a 10 week turn around so plan accordingly) and apply to other schools in R2. I could've saved myself a lot of time and money! Also, don't open a browser for each school's application page every morning after you've applied and keep hitting F5 :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2