GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Application Eligibility

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Application Eligibility  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2020, 07:03
Hi! My name is Nikhil. I am a 23 year old Indian.
I am an Bcom(Honours) graduate with specialization in Accountancy & Finance.
My acads are:
X(2012)-83.5%
XII(2014)-91.2%
Graduation(2014-2019)-61%
However I have a two year break during my graduation since I was suffering from anxiety and depression. I have relevant medical records to justify the same.
I have zero work experience. However, I manage my family business which deals in Textile.

What are the chances of getting my application for Stanford GSB program accepted?

I haven't appeared for GMAT becuase first, before making an investment, I want to know whether I am an eligible for the Stanford GSB MBA Program.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: Application Eligibility  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2020, 09:44
Hello, Nikhil, and welcome to the community. To address the heading of your post, you are currently ineligible to apply to the Stanford MBA program. It has nothing to do with your background, which could provide for an interesting essay or supplement, but you have simply not taken a required test for your application to be considered. You must take either the GMAT™ or the GRE® to complete the application package. If you manage your family business, then that is work experience, even if you do not receive a wage. (You could call it volunteer work.) Besides, you can see in the Class Profile for 2021 that at least one successful applicant entered the MBA program with 0 years of work experience. If you worked on GMAT™ prep and earned a competitive score, I see no reason why you would not be considered for a spot alongside any other candidate.

I am sorry to hear about your crippling anxiety. I have worked with some clients who have suffered from similar medical conditions, and some people very close to me have also suffered from anxiety. I empathize with you, and I commend you for wanting to take the next step to bettering your future. My best advice? If you want to pursue this dream, then go all out and put in the work to make it happen. You will never have any guarantee that you will get into a program, especially one as competitive as the MBA program at Stanford. I would bet my bottom dollar that some applicants with 750+ scores on the GMAT™ felt slighted when they were turned down, just to see that at least one candidate with a 600 got in. Keep in mind, you present an application package. If admissions were based solely on numbers, then there would be no guesswork to the process.

I wish you all the best in your pursuits.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2020, 23:07
Some advisors have said to me that my profile is not competitive and that even if I get a healthy GMAT score my application won't be considered. This is what bothering me. Is it true?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 05:27
nikhilg18 wrote:
Some advisors have said to me that my profile is not competitive and that even if I get a healthy GMAT score my application won't be considered. This is what bothering me. Is it true?

What an awful thing to say. I would ditch these so-called advisors and focus on the task at hand. As I said before, yes, Stanford is a tall order. It is for anybody. But some people have to get in, and I am sure there are wing-and-a-prayer applicants each cycle who end up getting an offer because their holistic application is one that has caught the right eye. Keep working toward your goal. Something will happen because of it, even if an unforeseen circumstance changes your plan. (Welcome to life, right?) Trust me, there is a whole community here that would like to see you succeed, that will help out when you have questions, and that will grow, in turn, through your own contributions.

Start studying. Ignore the nay-sayers. Full steam ahead.

- Andrew
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Application Eligibility  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 09:19
Based on the information provided I would agree with that assessment. Your nationality is very over-represented, you have no outside work experience.

I'm not seeing any proof of innovation or entrepreneurial mindset. I'm not seeing a pattern of leadership or community contribution. Or positive impact.

Managing the family business is something, but it's definitely not unique for Indians. There could be a story there, good for other schools, but I really don't think that would be enough to overwhelm everything else.

Not trying to a dreamcrusher here but I do feel it's important to be straight with people so that they don't invest a lot of time and money in something that will inevitably not work out.

Acceptance rate is less than 6% for all populations, that goes down by more than half just by you being Indian because they are so inundated with Indian applications. So then the Indians who do get in have simply amazing stories and backgrounds they've done amazing shi*.

I had a candidate who created blockchain technology to track drugs in India because there's such a problem with fake drugs. Because blockchain is tamper-proof this solved that problem. That is the situation we're dealing with.

They also have great GMAT scores and usually, excellent academic pedigree.

nikhilg18 wrote:

Application Eligibility   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2020, 09:19

Application Eligibility

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: erlandgas