It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

application question - please tell me what you think

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 381
application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 19:23
so have you noticed that some schools ask what other programs are you applying to. Do you think they use this info. to manage their yields? THat would be really disappointing but then agan why would they bother asking?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 95
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 19:48
isn't that an optional question on the app? i wouldn't answer it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 21:12
List two similarly ranked schools.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1728
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 21:17
EconGirl wrote:
so have you noticed that some schools ask what other programs are you applying to. Do you think they use this info. to manage their yields? THat would be really disappointing but then agan why would they bother asking?


Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 33
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 22:57
I heard the admissions director from chicago say that she understood why people would also apply to wharton, but questioned those that also applied to harvard. So I think it has a great deal to do with showing what you want in a business school.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 137
Location: Sunnyvale, California
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2006, 23:06
I'd rather not disclose this information if possible.

Otherwise, just tell them that you are applying to similar schools (possibly ranked within 2-3 spots of your target school in your intended specialization).

This is one place where honesty will not pay.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 229
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2006, 08:33
jaynayak wrote:
Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents


i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1018
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2006, 10:47
lhotseface wrote:
Bang on target ! That's what I did for Duke. Don't leave the question blank..an admissions comm. member told me that looks really stupid. They know that people are mature enough to not put all eggs in one basket and apply to multiple places.

luminos24 wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents


i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 62
Location: Washington, DC
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2006, 14:37
I know plenty of people who apply just to one school.

Ranking isn't everything, so make sure that your schools offer a similar package. I hear a lot of people wondering how someone can apply to both Harvard and Stanford since they're both so different (I did, so whatever).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 121
Location: Florida, Argentina, UK
:( [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2006, 22:57
Don't universities have access to the 5 schools that u chose to send your GMAT scores to?
:(   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2006, 22:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Dare I? .... 22 . You tell me NasTheKing 6 10 Jun 2014, 15:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan? AndreNowzick 2 11 Jul 2013, 06:16
1 Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools akashhongal 2 04 Jul 2011, 08:50
1 what do you think? hemantS 5 26 Mar 2008, 19:39
1 Tell me about a leader you admire... mba2010 34 09 Jan 2014, 16:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

application question - please tell me what you think

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.