GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Jan 2020, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 15:40
Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for the CBS MBA, starting 2020, and recently took my first GMAT test. Unfortunately, I was sick on test day and had been in bed in the days leading up to the test. The verbal section was a bit of a blur but managed to get away with a 680 score (V35, Q47).

Given that Columbia works with a rolling admission schedule, I am not sure whether to apply now with my 680-score, or wait 1-2 months and apply when my next GMAT score is ready (I feel confident that I can improve my score when not sick).
Any thoughts on strategy? Does anyone know how quickly spots usually fill out through the fall?

Thanks!

/Karl
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.75
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 16:11
Wait to apply with a better score. You’re better off competing for one of, say, 375 seats with a good score than competing for one of 500 seats with a mediocre (by CBS’s standards) score.

Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2502
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 06:21
This depends upon how under or overrepresented you are. Your GMAT is not competitive if you are overrepresented or average, however the quant is good so so no major red flags. If you are from Somalia or whatever you might go for it. You do want to apply as early as possible, but if you are confident you have a much better score inside you maybe wait 4 weeks. Really best to apply by end of the year; do not neglect the application. Apply when your application is stellar. CV, essays, recs, application short answers. If you do not need an internship, go for J term.

[
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.16
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 08:27
I have been to many CBS admissions events and they always recommend submitting a good application over an early application. I'm sorry you were sick on test day and I'm sure you'll do much better with this experience under your belt and a healthier body/mind. You can retake the test after 16 days, which doesn't really push you back too far. Also let me know if you're looking for a tutor - I really loved mine.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2502
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 09:00
Hi Rose, can you please post or PM me the details for your tutor? I am looking for a good resource for my clients in this area.

[
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
VP
VP
avatar
V
Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Posts: 1233
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 09:46
[

Hi,

It’s better to wait for a better score. But if you have great extra curriculars, you can apply with 680 too.

All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.16
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 13:03
Hi all,

Not sure what the rules are, but at the request of MBAPrepCoach, I'm happy to pass along the information of my GMAT tutor, Ben Resnick. His website is https://www.gmatcoach.com/ and you can find my and other reviews here: https://g.page/GMATCoach (hopefully that link works). MBAPrepCoach, I know you asked for someone local and he's virtual (out of Seattle). I though virtual tutoring would be cumbersome and inconvenient, but Ben was really great and I attribute my giant leap in score to him!

Best of luck and happy to provide advice/insight.

Rose
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18866
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 17:30
1
You are about 50 points below average for the CBS.... your profile will need to compensate for the score defficiency. I think if you are from a unique background with a strong application, then absolutely. Otherwise, since you mostly missed the wave of R1 or early applications, I think it may be worth getting the best package put together... that's assuming you can pull off the GMAT
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Mar 2019
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Schools: CBS '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 18:00
1
Current Student. I can tell you that there ARE students at CBS with GMATs like that. But, that said, when we go through resume workshops they won't even let anyone under 740 put their GMAT score on their resumes. To me, that speaks for how the school views GMAT scores, and (almost more importantly) how future employers will too. CBS is a non-grade disclosure school, so most employers will ask for your GMAT, which will be lower than the standard here. I think it's worth getting at least 700+ if you have the ability (which it sounds like you think you do).

As to when to apply: yes, rolling admissions are different, but I applied on January 4th and was admitted with money. YMMV.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18866
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 11:06
Thank you @classof20210mba! That's helpful feedback!

I have looked up on the decision tracker the number of people who have been admitted to CBS with sub-700 GMAT over the last 3 years and it is very few: https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tra ... program=15

5 to be exact for the FT program.... so unless you are truly amazing, I would get up there in terms of the score. Sorry, I know it is annoying to have to deal with the GMAT again.... but many courses offer GMAT score guarantee of 40-50 points. I would look into one of those. If you can pull off 50 points then it is worth it; otherwise, you get your money back and the only investment is your time. Here is the list of courses: https://gmatclub.com/marketplace/courses and here is an overview of score guarantees: https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... 69396.html (just search for the word guarantee on the page and make sure to read it on the company's site as things change)
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 14:07
Hi all, thank you so much for the input! Really appreciate it.
I have booked another GMAT test in a few weeks and will prioritize to strengthen my application rather than submit it a bit quicker.

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2019, 14:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Apply now vs wait for higher GMAT score?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jeometricals






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne