Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Applying Early [#permalink]
River, I believe, means smaller pool of applicants in R1 v. R2.

Thus, perhaps a higher acceptance rate.

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
That seems backwards to think R2 is easier than R1. Last year I would say people on here were much more successful during R1, even with the more difficult schools. Sure some of the more well prepared and qualified folks apply during R1 but the bar is based off last year, maybe a little higher. If there is a HUGE increase in apps like last year then it becomes tougher but I would still say R1 would be the easiest. Plus if you get on the dreaded waitlist, they do admit they give preference to the earlier round people when admitting WL folks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to sign a statement that if you get accepted, you will cancel all other applications and accept the offer? If that is the case, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
johncoctostan wrote:
Is it frowned upon/ considered unethical to apply Early Decision to two schools? I understand that you will be required to make a large deposit when accepted to a school, but if two schools have similar ED deadlines and decision release dates, can you apply to two and then just make the deposit at one if you are accepted to both?

Also, how much of a difference does it make if you apply Early Decision? I have heard that the applicant pool is smaller than R1 and R2 (which makes sense), but does it actually increase the chances of admission?

I just had to say great screen name! Do you own rubber gloves?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I do concider it unethical, since you may come to a point where you might have to break your promise. However I think one thing you can do is, whoever accepts you first, you withdrawl your application from the second as stated in the ED agreement (at least that is how Columbia ED states it).

I am curious which two schools are you applying ED, the only big time school I know is columbia that is a strict ED, you have others that are EA only.
Current Student
Send PM
I just had to say great screen name! Do you own rubber gloves?[/quote]

Ha, well, thank you. I figured that "Dr. Rosenrosen" might have been too obscure. Fletch is a hilarious and very "quotable" film.

So, it sounds like there is no real consensus on whether or not it is OK to apply to two schools ED. I wouldn't want to hurt my chances at either school under any circumstances, so I guess I will pick between the two (my reach school and my #1 target school) and apply ED to only one. If anyone knows of a member who has dealt with this situation before, please let me know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sam & River, thanx for your explanations!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Columbia and Duke are the only schools offering binding Early Decision (and maybe McCombs?). They explicitly ask admitted students to withdraw applications to other schools upon an offer of admission. So unless you're applying to both, you aren't going to face this conundrum.

The other schools all offer Early Action (Tuck, Darden etc.) and you can continue to pursue your applications at other schools until the deposit deadline.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Columbia and Duke are the only schools offering binding Early Decision (and maybe McCombs?). They explicitly ask admitted students to withdraw applications to other schools upon an offer of admission. So unless you're applying to both, you aren't going to face this conundrum.

The other schools all offer Early Action (Tuck, Darden etc.) and you can continue to pursue your applications at other schools until the deposit deadline.

McCombs does not offer an early decision or early action option. McCombs has a rolling admissions review period which begins on November 1.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Ah ok, thanks for correcting me. I knew they did something a little differently down in Austin!

icon wrote:
McCombs does not offer an early decision or early action option. McCombs has a rolling admissions review period which begins on November 1.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

Kenan-Flagler is another school to add to the list. They do not explicitly say that you must withdraw other applications, but their Early Action is definitely binding and requires applicants to make a deposit a few weeks after they are accepted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
I think it's considered unethical because it is definitely against the spirit of ED. It is meant for students who view that school to be their top choice so adcom will accept students knowing that if accepted the student will attend that school only.

It's generally not a good way to live your life and if you believe in karma...not good.

RVD.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
RVD wrote:
I think it's considered unethical because it is definitely against the spirit of ED. It is meant for students who view that school to be their top choice so adcom will accept students knowing that if accepted the student will attend that school only.

It's generally not a good way to live your life and if you believe in karma...not good.

RVD.

Is your name Earl? :lol:
GMAT Club Bot