Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Applying while pursuing MBA at a different college? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Some schools allow you to apply when you already have an MBA degree, provided you have good reasoning for getting a second MBA. However, I am unaware of schools that let you transfer into their MBA program.

The way I see it, you can either complete the program you're in now and apply to a US program in a few years (if you still think you need it) or leave your current program and use your past coursework as an alternative transcript for your upcoming applications.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
First of all, this is not such a strange question. We frequently get calls from candidates who started an MBA program at one school and decide that it is not right for them and they want to change course. However, since MBA programs do not accept transfers, it means starting over again.

Your case has a lot of unique circumstances surrounding it and at the time pursuing an MBA at this school in India seemed like the right path to take. My biggest concern for you when applying to international programs, especially those in the United States, would be providing a convincing argument that it would be best for you to stop your current program and then re-start at a new school. To sell this, you would have to come up with compelling reasons like lack of diversity in your class, no elective course offerings in your targeted post-MBA industry, a life situation that has you needing to live in the city where the school is located, etc. The case has to be compelling and clear and cannot speak of simply defaulting into your current program due to not wanting to have a large gap on your resume.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@aerien: i was planning to pursue the 2nd option. Can you please elaborate more on what alternative transcript means?

@ManhattanReview: thanks, got it. So the argument needs to be compelling enough! In terms of essays, One of the colleges has a question, why start MBA now? How do i weave in my story here, or do I leave it out of this question? Also, where in the application do I mention my current academics? Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, where do I mention this scenario, in NUS application as im starting off with that.

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most people use an alternative transcript to show Adcoms they have the academic/quantitative abilities to make it in bschool (aka making up for a low undergrad GPA). Others use it to show their interest in business, especially when people are coming from non-traditional backgrounds and/or have little past experience in business.

You can use the courses you're taking now as a way to show your academic ability (hopefully you've done well!) and in your interest in getting an MBA. Perhaps one of your courses inspired your career trajectory or an extracurricular activity -- this could turn into an essay topic or at the very least, something to speak to in an interview.

Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think the best direction to take is the head-on one. You are already in an MBA program, you will need to inform the new program about that and why, and you might as well "come clean" with them. I don't think you need to mention anything regarding your grades, after all you want to leave your program, so aren't you invalidating their worth anyhow? But like mentioned above, the most important thing is to have a very very good story about why you want to leave and why their school is so much better for you and you for it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
if anybody know plz tell me which college is best for MBA???
GMAT Club Bot