GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 83
Location: India
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 00:51
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:45) correct 40% (01:53) wrong based on 285 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the seaside town of Absuir, Egypt is home to the burial of the queen Cleopatra VII and her lover Mark Antony in the year 30 B.C. They base their judgment on the site's proximity to Alexandria and on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony, which, as is customary with burials of Egyptian rulers, would have been included with or near the mummified body at the time of the burial. Furthermore, _______________.

A) miraculously, additional fragments of mask that were found scores of miles away in Cairo fit perfectly with the partial mask excavated at Abusir, together constituting a nearly perfect facial likeness of Mark Antony

B) Mark Antony is the only ruler in Egypt to have had the shape of cleft chin expressed on the partial mask, which always capture the facial features of the buried ruler accurately

C) a statue of two lovers in embrace, presumably the two rulers, was found near the partial mask and dated to the year 40 A.D.

D) it has been established beyond a doubt that Cleopatra and Mark Antony were not buried to the south of the country in the Valley of the Kings, which is by far the best-known set of tombs in Egypt

E) valuable coins inscribed with a faded woman's likeness that might be Cleopatra's were also discovered blanketing the partial mask
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 88
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 06:41
1
rs47 wrote:
Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the seaside town of Absuir, Egypt is home to the burial of the queen Cleopatra VII and her lover Mark Antony in the year 30 B.C. They base their judgment on the site's proximity to Alexandria and on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony, which, as is customary with burials of Egyptian rulers, would have been included with or near the mummified body at the time of the burial. Furthermore, _______________.

A) miraculously, additional fragments of mask that were found scores of miles away in Cairo fit perfectly with the partial mask excavated at Abusir, together constituting a nearly perfect facial likeness of Mark Antony

B) Mark Antony is the only ruler in Egypt to have had the shape of cleft chin expressed on the partial mask, which always capture the facial features of the buried ruler accurately

C) a statue of two lovers in embrace, presumably the two rulers, was found near the partial mask and dated to the year 40 A.D.

D) it has been established beyond a doubt that Cleopatra and Mark Antony were not buried to the south of the country in the Valley of the Kings, which is by far the best-known set of tombs in Egypt

E) valuable coins inscribed with a faded woman's likeness that might be Cleopatra's were also discovered blanketing the partial mask



I chose option B because it clearly relates to the sentence before the blank as it states "Mark Antony is the ONLY ruler in Egypt...."
_________________

Remember, if it is a GMAT question, it can be simplified elegantly.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: Active
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 294
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 09:52
hotshot02 wrote:
rs47 wrote:
Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the seaside town of Absuir, Egypt is home to the burial of the queen Cleopatra VII and her lover Mark Antony in the year 30 B.C. They base their judgment on the site's proximity to Alexandria and on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony, which, as is customary with burials of Egyptian rulers, would have been included with or near the mummified body at the time of the burial. Furthermore, _______________.

A) miraculously, additional fragments of mask that were found scores of miles away in Cairo fit perfectly with the partial mask excavated at Abusir, together constituting a nearly perfect facial likeness of Mark Antony

B) Mark Antony is the only ruler in Egypt to have had the shape of cleft chin expressed on the partial mask, which always capture the facial features of the buried ruler accurately

C) a statue of two lovers in embrace, presumably the two rulers, was found near the partial mask and dated to the year 40 A.D.

D) it has been established beyond a doubt that Cleopatra and Mark Antony were not buried to the south of the country in the Valley of the Kings, which is by far the best-known set of tombs in Egypt

E) valuable coins inscribed with a faded woman's likeness that might be Cleopatra's were also discovered blanketing the partial mask



I chose option B because it clearly relates to the sentence before the blank as it states "Mark Antony is the ONLY ruler in Egypt...."



Hi,
But it is already mentioned in the passage ' on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony'
_________________

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 513
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 16:26
Well i chose B but i doubt we get to see such question on the test since the question lacks the action or the task the reader should perform and does not imply any meaning.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6785
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 19:54
2
Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the seaside town of Absuir, Egypt is home to the burial of the queen Cleopatra VII and her lover Mark Antony in the year 30 B.C. They base their judgment on the site's proximity to Alexandria and on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony, which, as is customary with burials of Egyptian rulers, would have been included with or near the mummified body at the time of the burial. Furthermore, _______________.

The passage has to complete with either a confirmation of the previous point of cleft chin or something else to substantiate the claim of tombs being that of two rulers in question.

A) miraculously, additional fragments of mask that were found scores of miles away in Cairo fit perfectly with the partial mask excavated at Abusir, together constituting a nearly perfect facial likeness of Mark Antony
this would weaken the claim rather than substantiating it..

B) Mark Antony is the only ruler in Egypt to have had the shape of cleft chin expressed on the partial mask, which always capture the facial features of the buried ruler accurately
ONLY strengthens the claim as the mask being of someone else is ruled out as only mark had one. So CORRECT

C) a statue of two lovers in embrace, presumably the two rulers, was found near the partial mask and dated to the year 40 A.D.
dates are different. 30BC and 40AD. So it would rather weaken the claim,as it can be ascertained that the tombs were built near 40AD.

D) it has been established beyond a doubt that Cleopatra and Mark Antony were not buried to the south of the country in the Valley of the Kings, which is by far the best-known set of tombs in Egypt
Out of scope..

E) valuable coins inscribed with a faded woman's likeness that might be Cleopatra's were also discovered blanketing the partial mask
Coin could be any time later too. So does not fit in.

B
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 8
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.9
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 05:22
" They base their judgment on the site's proximity to Alexandria and on the discovery of a partial mask showing a cleft chin reminiscent of Mark Antony, which, as is customary with burials of Egyptian rulers". The OA answer says," only Mark Antony had a cleft chin whereas the passage states that cleft chin was customary for Egyptian ruler burials.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 00:06
I choose Option D, because it gives further evidence that the their tombs are not in another place..
Please explain
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 88
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 16:24
gvrk_77 wrote:
I choose Option D, because it gives further evidence that the their tombs are not in another place..
Please explain


Option D - We have just one more place mentioned.

For simplicity - Say, we have 3 boxes A,B and C and one of them has a ring in it. By saying that C doesn't have the ring in it, we can't infer that Bax A has the ring.
_________________

*****************************************************************
Kudos are always welcome.

Re: Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 16:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Archaeologists believe a group of ancient tombs near the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.