GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 21:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jan 2018, 20:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:35) correct 36% (01:49) wrong based on 721 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the Toltec, twelfth-century inhabitants of what is now Veracruz. Although there is no archaeological evidence that the Toltec used wheels for anything but toys, some anthropologists hypothesize that wheeled utility vehicles were used to carry materials needed for the monumental structures the Toltec produced.

Which of the following, if true, would most help the anthropologists explain the lack of evidence noted above?

(A) The Toltec sometimes incorporated into their toys representations of utensils or other devices that served some practical purpose.

(B) Any wheeled utility vehicles used by the Toltec could have been made entirely of wood, and unlike ceramic, wood decays rapidly in the humid climate of Veracruz.

(C) Carvings in monument walls suggest that the Toltec's wheeled ceramic toys sometimes had ritual uses in addition to being used by both children and adults as decorations and playthings.

(D) Wheeled utility vehicles were used during the twelfth century in many areas of the world, but during this time wheeled toys were not very common in areas outside Veracruz.

(E) Some of the wheeled ceramic toys were found near the remains of monumental structures.

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Originally posted by mbamantra on 15 Apr 2004, 08:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jan 2018, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
SVP
SVP
Re: Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2004, 19:42
If those people had used wooden wheels long long time ago then they would have decayed by now and archeologists will not be able to find those wheels. This explains why the evidence is lacking.
I still stick with B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2004, 19:56
Well said Anandnk. I know for a fact I would have picked B as first choice but it just seemed too obvious to me. Weird, the more you overanalyze a CR, the more you question your first choice over a contender and end up falling for the contender. I do agree with Version2 though that B is shaky in the sense that it simply says that the wheel evidence don't exist anymore because they were built of wood hence the lack of evidence. We could have said that argument about just anything.

Ok, I think B is stronger now because the question is asking about "the lack of evidence". In other words, why the evidence is gone? That is because the wheels are made of woods. On the other hand, A should be the answer to another question: Despite the lack of evidence, did the Toltec use the wheel? Yes, because as A says, if it was found on toys and toys themselves represent devices that are practical in Toltec's lives, then the wheel was used by Toltec. Since the question is asking about how to explain the lack of evidence, then B is clearly best. What brain buster!

Best Regards,

Paul

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2015, 23:38
Quote:
The question you're supposed to answer is...
Which of the following, if true, would most help the anthropologists explain the lack of evidence noted above?

In other words, you are NOT asked to explain why the toys exist.
You're asked to explain why no one has found actual utility carts"”i.e., NOT toys, but, rather, real carts used for real work.

With this question in mind, it should be clear why B is the answer you want.

The only thing choice A helps to explain is why the toys might exist. A has nothing to do with why real carts have NOT been found.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 01:01
I chose 'B' by using POE but now after having spent some more time on 'B' I understand why no other option comes even remotely close to it.

The argument says that archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the Toltec and they probably could not find any evidence of the fact that the wheels were used for any other purpose except for the toys, anthropologists on the other hand believe that the Toltec used wheeled utility vehicles to carry materials used for the construction of the monuments they produced. We need to find an answer choice that lends some credence to the fact that wheeled utility vehicles were indeed used by the Toltec in the time period specified.
Option 'B' is the correct answer as it says that wheeled utility vehicles were indeed used in those times but the fact that any wheeled vehicle was made from wood and wood decays in the humid climate of that city is the reason why anthropologists are right in their hypothesis and archaeologists could not find any evidence of wheeled utility vehicles as any wheeled vehicles (made of wood) probably produced in the 12th century would have decayed by the time archaeologists surveyed that region in the 21st century.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the &nbs [#permalink] 01 Sep 2018, 01:01

Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap