It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 01:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1813 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 05:03
To understand the logic, why B > C ?,refer MGMAT SC Chapter 13, Page 255, Infinitives.

A. Chalice was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders. --- Same error as in C.
B. Chalice was probably buried to keep it from being stolen by invaders. --- here pronoun it makes building (subject) object of infinitive "to keep"; such construction is fine.
C. Chalice was probably buried to avoid being stolen by invaders. -- Chalice is the subject of "to avoid ..." but Chalice can not intentionally do anything to avoid. Thus it is illogical.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 23:41
To understand the logic, why B > C ?,refer MGMAT SC Chapter 13, Page 255, Infinitives.

A. Chalice was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders. --- Same error as in C.
B. Chalice was probably buried to keep it from being stolen by invaders. --- here pronoun it makes building (subject) object of infinitive "to keep"; such construction is fine.
C. Chalice was probably buried to avoid being stolen by invaders. -- Chalice is the subject of "to avoid ..." but Chalice can not intentionally do anything to avoid. Thus it is illogical.

Hello Piyush,

The infinitive part highlights the intention of burying the chalice. The intention is to keep "chalice" from being stolen and not keep "ABC" from being stolen. If "it" is removed from the sentence then the intended meaning of the sentence is not clear. I have used this reasoning to eliminate other choices and choose B as the answer. Do you find any flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks Anuj!

Preparing for the next shot!!!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1813 [1], given: 229

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 01:30
This post received
KUDOS
anujag24 wrote:
Hello Piyush,

The infinitive part highlights the intention of burying the chalice. The intention is to keep "chalice" from being stolen and not keep "ABC" from being stolen. If "it" is removed from the sentence then the intended meaning of the sentence is not clear. I have used this reasoning to eliminate other choices and choose B as the answer. Do you find any flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks Anuj!

Pronoun it reflects the intention of those who buried the chalice not the chalice's desire to get buried with such intention.
In choice A and C chalice is the subject of the sentence thus purpose of action expressed by infinitive appears to be intention of chalice, but that is not the case.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1813 [1], given: 229

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 01:59
PiyushK wrote:
anujag24 wrote:
Hello Piyush,

Thanks Anuj!

Pronoun it reflects the intention of those who buried the chalice not the chalice's desire to get buried with such intention.
In choice A and C chalice is the subject of the sentence thus purpose of action expressed by infinitive appears to be intention of chalice, but that is not the case.

That's exactly my point. When I mentioned intention, I referred to the intention of the people who buried chalice and not the chalice itself. My earlier post might be abstruse.

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 06:55
PiyushK wrote:

Hi Piyush, I don't have MGMAT handy, but I am curious how C reflects that Chalice intentionally buried itself. Since the sentence says: Chalice was buried, this seems to correctly suggest that someone else buried the Chalice (and Chalice did not intentionally bury itself).

Would be interesting if you can summarize what in MGMAT suggests the way you are interpreting it.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 07:40
EducationAisle wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

Hi Piyush, I don't have MGMAT handy, but I am curious how C reflects that Chalice intentionally buried itself. Since the sentence says: Chalice was buried, this seems to correctly suggest that someone else buried the Chalice (and Chalice did not intentionally bury itself).

Would be interesting if you can summarize what in MGMAT suggests the way you are interpreting it.

Following is the snippet from mgmat guide: I interpreted following description in my comment above.

Wrong-->> The building was demolished TO AVOID falling down accidentally.

The subject of the clause is the noun building, which is also 'the implied
subject of the infinitive to avoid. However, a building cannot avoid something intentionally.
The sentence above is nonsensical.

Right--->> The building was demolished TO KEEP IT from falling down accidentally,

The subject building would normally be the implied subject of the infinitive to keep.
However, it refers to building. Since building is the object of the infinitive, the version above
is fine as written.

Piyush K
-----------------------

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 08:29
PiyushK wrote:
Following is the snippet from mgmat guide: I interpreted following description in my comment above.

Wrong-->> The building was demolished TO AVOID falling down accidentally.

The subject of the clause is the noun building, which is also 'the implied
subject of the infinitive to avoid. However, a building cannot avoid something intentionally.
The sentence above is nonsensical.

Thanks for reproducing the snippet Piyush. I find this interpretation of MGMAT odd, to say the least.

Let's take a simpler example:

Jack was given driving lessons to avoid accidents.

This does not explicitly indicate that it was Jack's intent to avoid accidents. On the other hand, if we have the following sentence:

Jack took driving lessons to avoid accidents.

This does clearly indicate that it was Jack's intent to avoid accidents.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 11:34
EducationAisle wrote:
Thanks for reproducing the snippet Piyush. I find this interpretation of MGMAT odd, to say the least.

Let's take a simpler example:

Jack was given driving lessons to avoid accidents.

This does not explicitly indicate that it was Jack's intent to avoid accidents. On the other hand, if we have the following sentence:

Jack took driving lessons to avoid accidents.

This does clearly indicate that it was Jack's intent to avoid accidents.

I interpret your sentence in tandem with what MGMAT described in following manner: I think Jack is in the capacity of avoiding accident and Jack can avoid accident, whereas building is not in capacity to avoid collapse.

Though this concept just slipped over my head, I tried to inherit it the way author described it. Really I found it difficult to relate/understand it with my knowledge.

Piyush K
-----------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 182

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 10:30
(C) to avoid
(D) in order that it would avoid

OA explanations for D and C are the same and GMAC reasons "This (option C and opt. D) suggests that the chalice acts to prevent its own theft.". I don't understand OA explanation. Please help to clarify!

Many thanks + kudos!

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 182

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2015, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Beat720 wrote:
(C) to avoid

OA explanations for D and C are the same and GMAC reasons "This (option C and opt. D) suggests that the chalice acts to prevent its own theft.". I don't understand OA explanation. Please help to clarify!

Many thanks + kudos!

Let me take a swing at this one, as I'll try to keep this one as simple as possible :)

The problem with Choices C and D is that the way the sentences are structured, it sounds as if the chalice did all the work in digging itself.
Both choices, once they're respectively replaced into the original sentence, are followed by verbs. This makes it sound as if the chalice dug itself into hiding.

Choice C:

[The Chalice] was probably buried to avoid being stolen by invaders. --- There's nothing there to suggest that someone did the actual burying.
If it were said, "to avoid it from" --- We need the pronoun and the preposition to suggest that the burying was done by something other than the actual relic.

Choice D:

[The Chalice] was probably buried in order that it would avoid being stolen by invaders. --- "...it would avoid being stolen" suggests that the chalice is trying to nonsensically avoid from being stolen. That's just illogical, and probably spooky! :) We need to clearly show that the chalice was buried so that it would avoid from being stolen by some thief.

Hope that helped!

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 57

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 15:52

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16270 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 16:03
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ask yourself who buried the chalice and why. They buried it "to keep it from being stolen", not "to keep from being stolen". The second example sounds like they buried the chalice because they didn't want themselves to be stolen..

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16270 [0], given: 1953

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Babson '19

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 21:37
"being stolen" is a verb in a passive voice. All the verbs in the sentence have subjects, except the "being stolen" verb. Thus answer choice B is correct, which provides the verb with a subject in a concise way.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 12:21

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3096 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 23:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The OA is correct.

Option A: From the phrase to keep from being stolen, it cannot be understood what might be stolen.
Option B: Introducing the pronoun "it" (referring to "chalice") resolves the above issue.

Hence B is better than A.

Kudos [?]: 3096 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 13:48
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, which dates from the eighth century, was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.

Issue: Idiom

(A) to keep from
- Ambiguous

(B) to keep it from

(C) to avoid
- missing "it"
- also this options suggest that chalice can avoid it's own theft -> illogical'

- also this options suggest that chalice can avoid it's own theft -> illogical'

(E) in order to keep from
- Also I think "to keep" implies "in order", so "in order" might be redundant.
- "it" missing -> less clear

Answer: (B)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
I would go for C: to keep it from. it is fine, because the object it refers is chalice

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 16:54
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, which dates from the eighth century, was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.

(A) to keep from(what was kept form being stolen? a pronoun should be used here)
(B) to keep it from
(C) to avoid (who or what is avoiding?)
(D) in order that it would avoid(the chalice whould avoid? not chalice itself should be avoided from being stolen)
(E) in order to keep from ( same as A)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 18:02

(A) to keep from (unclear meaning need pronoun )
(B) to keep it from( correct choice)
(C) to avoid (what or who is avoiding needs to be meantioned,currtly it is implying that chalice is used for avoiding)
(D) in order that it would avoid(chalice would not avoid,change in meaning)
(E) in order to keep from (same as A)

Re: Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2017, 18:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 54 posts ]