Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [70]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [17]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1820 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Archaeology as a profession faces two major problems. First, it is the [#permalink]
Kudos
I tried too
It Was easy(atleast I got one such type in Real exam)
5 mins to read the passage and 4 mins for the 7 Qs

BBEC ACB
will post the OAs in few Hours
Might post RC no 2 soon :)
thanks guys for all the Kind words and support
nitya34 wrote:
=======================7 Qs..lets take 13 mins=======================================
Passage 11 (11/63)
Archaeology as a profession faces two major problems. First, it is the poorest of the poor. Only paltry sums are available for excavating and even less is available for publishing the results and preserving the sites once excavated. Yet archaeologists deal with priceless objects every day. Second, there is the problem of illegal excavation, resulting in museum-quality pieces being sold to the highest bidder.
I would like to make an outrageous suggestion that would at one stroke provide funds for archaeology and reduce the amount of illegal digging. I would propose that scientific archeological expeditions and governmental authorities sell excavated artifacts on the open market. Such sales would provide substantial funds for the excavation and preservation of archaeological sites and the publication of results. At the same time, they would break the illegal excavator’s grip on the market, thereby decreasing the inducement to engage in illegal activities.
You might object that professionals excavate to acquire knowledge, not money. Moreover, ancient artifacts are part of our global cultural heritage, which should be available for all to appreciate, not sold to the highest bidder. I agree. Sell nothing that has unique artistic merit or scientific value. But, you might reply everything that comes out of the ground has scientific value. Here we part company. Theoretically, you may be correct in claiming that every artifact has potential scientific value. Practically, you are wrong.
I refer to the thousands of pottery vessels and ancient lamps that are essentially duplicates of one another. In one small excavation in Cyprus, archaeologists recently uncovered 2,000 virtually indistinguishable small jugs in a single courtyard, Even precious royal seal impressions known as l’melekh handles have been found in abundance—more than 4,000 examples so far.
The basements of museums are simply not large enough to store the artifacts that are likely to be discovered in the future. There is not enough money even to catalogue the finds; as a result, they cannot be found again and become as inaccessible as if they had never been discovered. Indeed, with the help of a computer, sold artifacts could be more accessible than are the pieces stored in bulging museum basements. Prior to sale, each could be photographed and the list of the purchasers could be maintained on the computer. A purchaser could even be required to agree to return the piece if it should become needed for scientific purposes.
It would be unrealistic to suggest that illegal digging would stop if artifacts were sold on the open market. But the demand for the clandestine product would be substantially reduced. Who would want an unmarked pot when another was available whose provenance was known, and that was dated stratigraphically by the professional archaeologist who excavated it?
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to propose
(A) an alternative to museum display of artifacts
(B) a way to curb illegal digging while benefiting the archaeological profession
(C) a way to distinguish artifacts with scientific value from those that have no such value
(D) the governmental regulation of archaeological sites
(E) a new system for cataloguing duplicate artifacts
2. The author implies that all of the following statements about duplicate artifacts are true EXCEPT:
(A) A market for such artifacts already exists.
(B) Such artifacts seldom have scientific value.
(C) There is likely to be a continuing supply of such artifacts.
(D) Museums are well supplied with examples of such artifacts.
(E) Such artifacts frequently exceed in quality those already catalogued in museum collections.
3. Which of the following is mentioned in the passage as a disadvantage of storing artifacts in museum basements?
(A) Museum officials rarely allow scholars access to such artifacts.
(B) Space that could be better used for display is taken up for storage.
(C) Artifacts discovered in one excavation often become separated from each other.
(D) Such artifacts are often damaged by variations in temperature and humidity.
(E) Such artifacts’ often remain uncatalogued and thus cannot be located once they are put in storage.
4. The author mentions the excavation in Cyprus (lines 31-34) to emphasize which of the following points?
(A) Ancient lamps and pottery vessels are less valuable, although more rare, than royal seal impressions.
(B) Artifacts that are very similar to each other present cataloguing difficulties to archaeologists.
(C) Artifacts that are not uniquely valuable, and therefore could be sold, are available in large quantities.
(D) Cyprus is the most important location for unearthing large quantities of salable artifacts.
(E) Illegal sales of duplicate artifacts are wide-spread, particularly on the island of Cyprus.
5. The author’s argument concerning the effect of the official sale of duplicate artifacts on illegal excavation is based on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Prospective purchasers would prefer to buy authenticated artifacts.
(B) The price of illegally excavated artifacts would rise.
(C) Computers could be used to trace sold artifacts.
(D) Illegal excavators would be forced to sell only duplicate artifacts.
(E) Money gained from selling authenticated artifacts could be used to investigate and prosecute illegal excavators.
6. The author anticipates which of the following initial objections to the adoption of his proposal?
(A) Museum officials will become unwilling to store artifacts.
(B) An oversupply of salable artifacts will result and the demand for them will fall.
(C) Artifacts that would have been displayed in public places will be sold to private collectors.
(D) Illegal excavators will have an even larger supply of artifacts for resale.
(E) Counterfeiting of artifacts will become more commonplace.
7. The author implies that which of the following would occur if duplicate artifacts were sold on the open market?
I. Illegal excavation would eventually cease completely.
II. Cyprus would become the primary source of marketable duplicate artifacts.
III. Archaeologists would be able to publish the results of their excavations more frequently than they currently do.
(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III
=============================
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Archaeology as a profession faces two major problems. First, it is the [#permalink]
Discussed in detail at the below mentioned link
archaeology-as-a-profession-faces-two-major-problems-first-76231.html#p573931

Archaeology as a profession faces two major problems.
First, it is the poorest of the poor. Only paltry
sums are available for excavating and even less is available
for publishing the results and preserving the sites
once excavated. Yet archaeologists deal with priceless
objects every day. Second, there is the problem of illegal
excavation, resulting in museum-quality pieces being
sold to the highest bidder.

I would like to make an outrageous suggestion that
would at one stroke provide funds for archaeology and
reduce the amount of illegal digging. I would propose
that scientific archaeological expeditions and governmental
authorities sell excavated artifacts on the open
market. Such sales would provide substantial funds for
the excavation and preservation of archaeological sites
and the publication of results. At the same time, they
would break the illegal excavator's grip on the market,
thereby decreasing the inducement to engage in illegal
activities.

You might object that professionals excavate to
acquire knowledge, not money. Moreover, ancient artifacts
are part of our global cultural heritage, which
should be available for all to appreciate, not sold to the
highest bidder. I agree. Sell nothing that has unique
artistic merit or scientific value. But, you might reply,
everything that comes out of the ground has scientific
value. Here we part company. Theoretically, you may be
correct in claiming that every artifact has potential scientific
value. Practically, you are wrong.

I refer to the thousands of pottery vessels and ancient
lamps that are essentially duplicates of one another. In
one small excavation in Cyprus, archaeologists recently
uncovered 2,000 virtually indistinguishable small jugs in
a single courtyard. Even precious royal seal impressions
known as/melekh handles have been found in abundance --
more than 4,000 examples so far.

The basements of museums are simply not large
enough to store the artifacts that are likely to be discovered
in the future. There is not enough money even to
catalogue the finds; as a result, they cannot be found
again and become as inaccessible as if they had never
been discovered. Indeed, with the help of a computer,
sold artifacts could be more accessible than are the
pieces stored in bulging museum basements. Prior to
sale, each could be photographed and the list of the
purchasers could be maintained on the computer. A
purchaser could even be required to agree to return the
piece if it should become needed for scientific purposes.
It would be unrealistic to suggest that illegal digging
would stop if artifacts were sold on the open market.
But the demand for the clandestine product would be
substantially reduced. Who would want an unmarked
pot when another was available whose provenance was
known, and that was dated stratigraphically by the
professional archaeologist who excavated it?

Hi,
I'm reading this passage and having issues identifying the correct answer choice for the following questions. If you could help me guide through the answer choices, that be great.
Many thanks!

The author implies that all of the following statements about duplicate artifacts are true EXCEPT:

A) A market for such artifacts already exists.

B) Such artifacts seldom have scientific value.

C) There is likely to be a continuing supply of such artifacts.

D) Museums are well supplied with examples of such artifacts.

E) Such artifacts frequently exceed in quality those already catalogued in museum collections.

---------------------------------

The author's argument concerning the effect of the official sale of duplicate artifacts on illegal excavation is based on which of the following assumptions?

A) Prospective purchasers would prefer to buy authenticated artifacts.

B) The price of illegally excavated artifacts would rise.

C) Computers could be used to trace sold artifacts.

D) Illegal excavators would be forced to sell only duplicate artifacts.

E) Money gained from selling authenticated artifacts could be used to investigate and prosecute illegal excavators.

----------------------------------

The author mentions the excavation in Cyprus (lines 31-34) to emphasize which of the following points?

A) Ancient lamps and pottery vessels are less valuable, although more rare, than royal seal impressions.

B) Artifacts that are very similar to each other present cataloguing difficulties to archaeologists.

C) Artifacts that are not uniquely valuable, and therefore could be sold, are available in large quantities.

D) Cyprus is the most important location for unearthing large quantities of salable artifacts.

E) Illegal sales of duplicate artifacts are wide-spread, particularly on the island of Cyprus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
Archaeology is the study of past in the presence of physical evidences. In fact it explains the past. It is different from history subject because Archaeology helps us the built pages of history where as history depends on pages. Where history fails to provide the answers of our question, it helps us to find out our answers. I am also of the view that Archaeology profession is facing problems. It is time consuming and demands more money. Archaeologists spend most of their time in surveying and in surface collection. As you said Archaeologists deal with priceless objects every day and it can save sites from grave hunters too.You suggestion of providing funds for excavations is 100 % awesome and it can stopped illegal digging and John Marshal made good progress In this field. He provided Grid-Box pattern to make scientific excavations. If you know about the Marshal’s work in Archaeology then please share it with me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
suryanshg wrote:
1 .B
2. A
3. E
??
Am I correct? OA Pls

Questions 1 and 3 are right -- as for question 2:

(A) A market for such artifacts already exists
- this is implied most strongly at the end of the passage:
"The demand.. would be.. reduced. Who would want an unmarked pot when another was available..?"

(B) Such artifacts seldom have scientific value
- Paragraphs 3 and 4:
"Theoretically, you may be correct in claiming that every artifact has scientific value. Practically, you are wrong."
"... thousands of pottery vessels... essentially duplicates of one another"

(C) There is likely to be a continuing supply
- Paragraph 5:
"museums... not large enough to store the artifacts.. discovered in the future"

(D) Museums are well supplied with examples of such artifacts
- Paragraph 4:
"pottery vessels and ancient lamps... 2,000... small jugs... I'melekh handles... 4,000 examples..."

(E) is correct, as nothing is stated about quality.

:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATNinja

Question 1 -- how to differentiate between A and B ...

I selected A :( but the OA is B ..

OA says A is wrong because "While explaining in paragraph 5 that museums often store countless artifacts unseen in their basement , the author proposes no alternative for museum display of these artifacts"

But isn't the author proposing -- that

a) excavators sell privately
b) (implying : less artifacts will be available for the museum to display once this practice is underway)
c) (implying: this activity will be in a way an alternative to museum display as there will be less artifacts to display for the museum)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
GMATNinja

Question 1 -- how to differentiate between A and B ...

I selected A :( but the OA is B ..

OA says A is wrong because "While explaining in paragraph 5 that museums often store countless artifacts unseen in their basement , the author proposes no alternative for museum display of these artifacts"

But isn't the author proposing -- that

a) excavators sell privately
b) (implying : less artifacts will be available for the museum to display once this practice is underway)
c) (implying: this activity will be in a way an alternative to museum display as there will be less artifacts to display for the museum)

The question asks what the primary purpose of the passage is, so the correct answer must tell us the overall purpose of the entire passage, not the purpose of a single paragraph.

Quote:
(A) an alternative to museum display of artifacts

Sure, we could say that (A) is wrong because it focuses on an alternative to the museum display of artifacts, while paragraph 5 focuses on an alternative to storing artifacts in museum basements (which is quite different from putting artifacts on display). But a much simpler reason to eliminate (A) is that it's too narrow to represent the primary purpose of the passage.

The question asks us why the author wrote this passage. Choice (A) tells us why the author wrote paragraph 5, and gets a key detail wrong as well. That's why we eliminate it.

Quote:
(B) a way to curb illegal digging while benefiting the archaeological profession

Choice (B), on the other hand, is a succinct expression of the passage's purpose. The author is verbose, but ultimately wrote this whole thing to offer a way to fund archaeologists' work while reducing the negative effects of illegal excavation. The author identifies these two problems right up front, then spends the rest of the passage explaining how the act of selling excavated artifacts can solve both.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
5. The author’s argument concerning the effect of the official sale of duplicate artifacts on illegal excavation is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Prospective purchasers would prefer to buy authenticated artifacts.
(B) The price of illegally excavated artifacts would rise.
(C) Computers could be used to trace sold artifacts.
(D) Illegal excavators would be forced to sell only duplicate artifacts.
(E) Money gained from selling authenticated artifacts could be used to investigate and prosecute illegal excavators.

Hi
I have a question regarding Q5. It asks the assumption but option (A) is clearly mentioned in the last paragraph of the passage , how can it be assumption. Assumption is something that is unstated. because of this reason I did not mark this option. Yes I agree that other options are cannot be correct but option A has confused me a bit. Can someone explain where am I going wrong . Or am I just over-analyzing
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos