Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [82]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [9]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [8]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: Archeologists have discovered three sites showing conclusive evidence [#permalink]
Can someone explain why E is wrong and A is right ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Archeologists have discovered three sites showing conclusive evidence [#permalink]
Kudos
According to the official solution, B and E are strengtheners.

experts, Pls help me, what is the conclusion of the argument? It is because there is no key transition word.
"These sites clearly were founded by Homo erectus," -> how can A be the assumption if the information in A has been mentioned?
Furthermore, I am not sure how Homo erectus is related to the conclusion that "no reason to attribute mastery of fire to Homo ergaster". How?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [6]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is the OE from Magoosh.

Remains of prehistoric fire were found in Tanzania. The author says that Homo erectus made these fires, and that there’s no reason to assume Homo ergaster did. What is a necessary assumption?

The credited answer is choice (A). Homo erectus had to be as far south as Tanzania — if they were not, there would be no way they could have made those fires there, which would seem to indicate that Homo ergaster made them after all. Negating this statement devastates the argument, which is a confirmation that we have an assumption.

Whatever might have caused Homo erectus to master fire doesn’t clarify who made those fires in Tanzania: Homo erectus or Homo ergaster? Choice (B) is not correct.

Suppose Homo ergaster would have derived as much benefit from the master of fire as did the Homo erectus, or even more benefit. That fact, by itself, would imply nothing about which one of these species created those fires in Tanzania. Denying this doesn’t change the validity of the argument. Choice (C) is not correct.

Choice (D) is intriguing, because it may be true. Both Homo erectus and Homo ergaster evolved from Homo habilis, so it’s quite likely that the Homo habilis was the sole source of cultural knowledge for either of these species. BUT, we know that Homo erectus, presumably without the benefit of cultural knowledge about fire, was able to master fire. If Homo erectus did that, why couldn’t Homo ergaster? In other words, the limits of the cultural knowledge inherited does not necessarily set limits on what these human species could achieve. Therefore, we can draw no conclusion with respect to this argument. Choice (D) is not correct.

If Choice (E) were true, it would support the argument, but a supporting statement is not necessarily an assumption. We have to use the Negation Test. Suppose Homo ergaster was all over in Tanzania, before & during & after the time that those fires were created. Would that prove Homo ergaster started those fires? Not necessarily. It could still be true that both Homo ergaster and Homo erectus occupied that region, that only the latter had mastered fire, and therefore, that the later had to start those fires in Tanzania. Thus, we can deny choice and it doesn’t necessarily contradict the argument. Therefore, it is not an assumption. Choice (E) is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
chesstitans wrote:
According to the official solution, B and E are strengtheners.

experts, Pls help me, what is the conclusion of the argument? It is because there is no key transition word.
"These sites clearly were founded by Homo erectus," -> how can A be the assumption if the information in A has been mentioned?
Furthermore, I am not sure how Homo erectus is related to the conclusion that "no reason to attribute mastery of fire to Homo ergaster". How?

I agree. I didn't mark A as this was specified in argument that these sites were founded by Homo Erectus. If they were founded then they must have been occupied before migration of HE.

I understand that the point is if they were masters of fire or not at the time they founded the sites or before migration to asia. (The word immediately before migration) would still have made A correct. In its current state A looks essentially the same as info mentioned in argument.

generis I would appreciate your expert comment.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V34
Send PM
The answer A says, Homo erectus occupied territory as far south as Tanzania. But is it not a fact given in the question. Further to it the argument states Homo erectus moved towards north out of africa and into asia. Is this not evidence enough to prove homo erectus stayed in south as well. In fact A) has completely destroyed the crux of the passage itself. But argument says it needs a reason to show Homo ergaster could not be attributed to this. Now there is a reason from E) to believe homo ergaster attribution to fire.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
When homo ergaster occupied the sites is irrelevant.We have to look a little closely to put this option under out of scope.

Neverthless a great question from an unofficial source..

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
rkkrengarajan wrote:
The answer A says, Homo erectus occupied territory as far south as Tanzania. But is it not a fact given in the question.

The passage does not clearly differentiate between facts and subconclusions. So, it does seem to present as fact that Homo erectus occupied the sites mentioned, and at the same time could be interpreted as indicating that they did only as a subconclusion.

Quote:
Further to it the argument states Homo erectus moved towards north out of africa and into asia. Is this not evidence enough to prove homo erectus stayed in south as well. In fact A) has completely destroyed the crux of the passage itself. But argument says it needs a reason to show Homo ergaster could not be attributed to this. Now there is a reason from E) to believe homo ergaster attribution to fire.
Your reasoning makes complete sense. The funny thing is that if you take as fact that Homo erectus occupied the sites, then maybe (E) is not an assumption upon which the argument depends, but of course, then (A) is not either.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos