Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

What was your course?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've always had the sense that classes were good for people scoring in an average range that needed help moving up to an above average range. Say, 550-600 hoping to move up 50-100 points. I think classes have limited usefulness for people scoring 700+ because they just aren't really geared for those scoring at that level (I'm talking about the standard classes).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took classes and got 710 (1st try).

- I think classes are good to keep you motivated to dedicate time (you are paying for it and need to stick to a schedule).
- To discuss problems not only with teachers but also with classmates.
- To help you navigate the inevitable GMAT learning curve faster.
- To help you gauge when you are ready.

The program I took was not any of the brand name ones. It's a local program developed specifically for the local market (i.e.: non native speakers, class sizes upto a maximum of 6 people, etc.).

I think that had I not taken the classes, I would have had to invest about 6 - 12 months instead of 3.5 and probably retake once or twice. Yet I agree with johnnyx, it's different for each person.

L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I thought about taking a class for a while and probably would have if I could have worked it into my schedule. I think the class would be more valuable if it was a one shot deal. But since you can take it multiple times, I would suggest at least trying to take the exam once before investing in a class. I guess another interesting option I could have added was the number of attempts, although I do not think the poll would allow that many choices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't take a class because I hate to give up my hard earned $$. I studied for the GMAT for about 2 months and scored 660. Then, studies two additional months and got 700.

In retrospect, I think taking class could have halved the time it took me to get the 700 score.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
The fact that Kaplan and Princeton have survived for so long tells me that there is an insanely lucrative market out there for GMAT instruction.

Edited: Kaplan makes most of their money from the SAT. Not that its a surprise.

Most GMAT classroom instruction tends to be basic, catering to the lowest common denominator. This makes business sense for the companies who understand that a majority of test takers lie below the 650 mark. Several companies do offer advanced courses. MGMAT is a great example of such a company.

Classroom instruction also works great for test takers who have difficulty sticking to a schedule. Its not the best way to blow $1000 away, but it helps a lot of test takers.

My personal favorite is online learning; such courses offered by GMAX Online and MGMAT.

Finally, it is naive to think that a Kaplan or a GMAX or a MGMAT is all you need to do well on the GMAT. The question of "How valuable is a test prep company for your GMAT Success?" remains a mystery. Obviously, there is more opinion than evidence out there. The solution looks like a fun multiple regression model though.

Originally posted by Praetorian on 25 Apr 2007, 12:57.
Last edited by Praetorian on 25 Apr 2007, 13:48, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I honestly don't think I could have gotten 730 without Manhattan. I learn by watching people run through examples - and Manhattan did that again and again.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took classes on weekends: 7 hours in a row (3.5 verbal + 3.5 math) for 6 + 4 weeks. While I do not underestimate the importance of homework and self-preparation I can say that the classes helped me a lot in understanding the "GMAT-English" rules and approach to solving math problems.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unless you're lucky and get a dedicated instructor, I'd have to say that Kaplan is a waste of money. Manhattan does a good job of keeping their instructors motivated by paying them descent hourly wages ($100+ p/hr).

One of my favorite acronyms: Kaplan = Kan't Always Pick Little Abstract Numbers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
I studied like a dawg for two months and got 730 at the first attempt. I honestly see no need in going to GMAT prep school, unless you need 'the atmosphere' and external motivation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took Manhattan GMAT lessons and was really happy about them. However, I was the only one in the class who scored above 700 (760, actually).

I guess it helped me to know the basics of GMAT and to meet people with the same worries and problems, which was important. The instructor was also great and I learnt a lot from him. Somehow, he taught me everything I needed to score around 650 (got a 660 in my first attempt). However, I had to work on my own to achieve my final score in my second attempt.

If money is not a big problem, you are not too advanced in your GMAT preparation and can attend a Manhattan GMAT course, then I definitely would recommend it.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]