Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 01:45 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 01:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94343
Own Kudos [?]: 640908 [2]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 448
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Current Student
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 125
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Status:GMAT...one last time for good!!
Posts: 44
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Are more than one half of the females at the company married with chil [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Are more than one half of the females at the company married with children?

(1) 51% of the workforce is female and married.
(2) 49% of the workforce is male, married and has children; the rest of the workforce are females and have children.


1) Talks nothing about children-Insuff
2) Talks nothing about marriage-Insuff

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 222
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Are more than one half of the females at the company married with chil [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Are more than one half of the females at the company married with children?

(1) 51% of the workforce is female and married.
(2) 49% of the workforce is male, married and has children; the rest of the workforce are females and have children.

HiBunuel,

However, my English is not great at all.

are more than one-half of the females at the company married with children--

At first glance, the meaning of this line seemed:

half of the females at the company married TO THE children (which is not correct).

Correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 195
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Are more than one half of the females at the company married with chil [#permalink]
Statement 1 is insufficient since we do not know if more than half of the females at the company is married with children
Statement 2 is insufficient once again since we do not know if more than half of the females at the company is married with children

Statement 1 and 2 together, we now know that 51% of the workforce is female, married and have children.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21835
Own Kudos [?]: 11779 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Are more than one half of the females at the company married with chil [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This DS question is more of a 'logic' question than a 'math' question (as you have to do almost no math to get to the correct answer).

We're asked if MORE than one half of the FEMALES are MARRIED with CHILDREN. This is a YES/NO question.

1) 51% of the workforce is FEMALE and MARRIED.

From this Fact, we don't know how much of this 51% also has children.

IF... all of the 51% also have children, then the answer to the question is YES.
IF... none of the 51% also have children, then the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT.

2) 49% of the workforce is MALE, married and has children; the rest of the workforce are females and have children.

This Fact tells us that the remaining 51% of the workforce is FEMALE with CHILDREN, but we don't know how much of this 51% also is married.

IF... all of the 51% are also married, then the answer to the question is YES.
IF... none of the 51% are also married, then the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

Combined, we know...
51% of the workforce is FEMALE and MARRIED.
51% of the workforce is FEMALE with CHILDREN.
49% of the workforce is MALE....

Since 49% of the workforce involves a group that the question is NOT asking about (male), the remaining 51% must ALL be females, who are married and who have children. Thus, the answer to the question is YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Are more than one half of the females at the company married with chil [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94343 posts