Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 28 May 2017, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are screens showing instructions counted in available time?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Labor Omnia Vincit
Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Posts: 75
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:09
While taking a CAT test that came with my Kaplan GMAT Premier book, I noticed that the screens that display the instructions for a particular section (say AWA) weren't counted against the total available time for that particular section. I (purposely) spent about 15 seconds on the screen showing instructions for the AWA section, and when I clicked 'Dismiss', the countdown showed that I hadn't lost any time (out of 60 minutes).

Is this how it works on the actual GMAT?

Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 803
Location: London
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:32
The screens before the quant and verbal sections dont count toward time but you have a 1min time limit to get through them

The screen just before AWA is a tutorial which has a 10min time limit
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT Time...!!!
Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 293
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:52
shrouded1 wrote:
The screens before the quant and verbal sections dont count toward time but you have a 1min time limit to get through them

The screen just before AWA is a tutorial which has a 10min time limit

Thanx..any idea about the AWA issue and arguments??
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 803
Location: London
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:55
sandeep800 wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
The screens before the quant and verbal sections dont count toward time but you have a 1min time limit to get through them

The screen just before AWA is a tutorial which has a 10min time limit

Thanx..any idea about the AWA issue and arguments??


I was a bit shaky after my argument, but as I remember I dont think you need to click any screens in between
As soon as you click "next" on argument, you get to the issue screen strt away

So its 60 mins consecutive
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:49
there is time limit in instructions. i would use it to prep the answer sheet if you do a,b,c,d,e etc. for sc etc.
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Labor Omnia Vincit
Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Posts: 75
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 11:10
shaselai wrote:
there is time limit in instructions. i would use it to prep the answer sheet if you do a,b,c,d,e etc. for sc etc.

Looks like a good idea to utilize the time-limit of the instructions screens to make an answer grid. When this time limit is reached, do you get a notification? Does the screen advance automatically? Or does time allotted to the section automatically (and quietly) start deducting?

Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 16:09
rishabhsingla wrote:
shaselai wrote:
there is time limit in instructions. i would use it to prep the answer sheet if you do a,b,c,d,e etc. for sc etc.

Looks like a good idea to utilize the time-limit of the instructions screens to make an answer grid. When this time limit is reached, do you get a notification? Does the screen advance automatically? Or does time allotted to the section automatically (and quietly) start deducting?


i think it just skips right to next section - be it break or whatnot. When i didnt finish my AWA it just went to the break section...
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:18
so what happens if you take more than 1 minute? Does computer flashes next question on the screen itself?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 22:56
NAKAMONIEL wrote:
so what happens if you take more than 1 minute? Does computer flashes next question on the screen itself?


if your time runs out on intro it goes directly to AWA. if time runs out on AWA/Quant/Verbal it goes directly to break..
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Labor Omnia Vincit
Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Posts: 75
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 01:12
shaselai wrote:
i think it just skips right to next section - be it break or whatnot. When i didnt finish my AWA it just went to the break section...

What happened when you didn't finish the AWA? Was your partially-written essay automatically submitted, or was it discarded (equivalent to blank)?

I hope it wasn't the latter!

Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 803
Location: London
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 01:35
Nothing gets discarded, it submits whatever you have got
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Labor Omnia Vincit
Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Posts: 75
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 04:11
Ok, that's assuring.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2017
Posts: 44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 15:28
In addition to the discussion above about timed screens during the GMAT, the GMAT prep says that the Report/Cancel score frame is also timed - but this time isn't take from my Quant minutes?

Thanks!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 14963
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3961

Kudos [?]: 25206 [0], given: 4765

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 15:57
guenthermat wrote:
In addition to the discussion above about timed screens during the GMAT, the GMAT prep says that the Report/Cancel score frame is also timed - but this time isn't take from my Quant minutes?

Thanks!



Do you mean the report/cancel screen after you take the whole test? Yes, it is timed and you can't sit for a whole day staring at it, but I can't see how it could deduct time from a test you have already taken.... or you talking about a diff one?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

US News Rankings progression - last 10 years in a snapshot - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2017
Posts: 44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 08:03
bb wrote:
Do you mean the report/cancel screen after you take the whole test? Yes, it is timed and you can't sit for a whole day staring at it, but I can't see how it could deduct time from a test you have already taken.... or you talking about a diff one?


Yes, I was referring to the report/cancel screen after the whole test. But I was worried that this screen might be part of the 75 minutes that I do have to finish the Verbal section.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 750
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA , IIMB, ISB
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 103

Premium Member CAT Tests
Are screens showing instructions counted in available time? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 08:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
guenthermat wrote:
bb wrote:
Do you mean the report/cancel screen after you take the whole test? Yes, it is timed and you can't sit for a whole day staring at it, but I can't see how it could deduct time from a test you have already taken.... or you talking about a diff one?


Yes, I was referring to the report/cancel screen after the whole test. But I was worried that this screen might be part of the 75 minutes that I do have to finish the Verbal section.

Thanks!


Only to add a little ... The moment you're done with all the sections, Your score pops up and you get 2 minutes to accept or cancel the score. So you should plan for it in advance whether you'd accept a particular score. Because a 700 flashed on the screen may take away breaths of some amazing them completely :-D but it may make others skip heart beats making them feel worst :( In both the cases a button has to be pressed. Phew!!! :wink:
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Are screens showing instructions counted in available time?   [#permalink] 27 May 2017, 08:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Time untill the online score shows up? meesverkast 4 01 Apr 2017, 21:28
Rescheduled test, but MBA.com still shows old test time/date? sulmona 3 12 Oct 2014, 12:12
1 4 minute for instructions? Im2bz2p345 1 14 Aug 2013, 17:42
Is enough prepare time for a section available? abhicoolmax 5 28 Jul 2011, 05:45
Experts publish their posts in the topic Month and counting.. jcurry 5 06 Aug 2010, 11:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Are screens showing instructions counted in available time?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.