GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 08:49

R1 Admission Decisions:

Stanford Chat (Calls Started)  |  Wharton Chat  (Calls Expected Soon)  |  Fuqua Chat (Calls Expected Soon)


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 230
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 08:17
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:16) correct 56% (01:08) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Arguing that America has always been the land of immigrants, the Senator contended that anti-immigration policies mar the spirit of America, which he compared to cutting off a branch one is sitting on.

A) which he compared to cutting off a branch one is sitting on

B) which he compared to a branch one is sitting on which is being cut

C) comparing the process to the act of cutting off a branch one is sitting on

D) comparing them to cutting off a branch one is sitting on

E) comparing them to a branch one is sitting on which is being cut out

_________________

Regards
SandySilva


____________
Please appreciate the efforts by pressing +1 KUDOS (:


Originally posted by sandysilva on 31 Mar 2018, 08:57.
Last edited by sandysilva on 01 Apr 2018, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 230
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 09:02
1
Hi experts.
Im confused about the usage of comparing here. What is comma+comparing modifying?
If the usage here intended to modify the clause, then the clause preceding "comparing" is anti-immigration policies mar the spirit of America.
While the intended meaning of the author is to modify the clause senator contended. Can comparing jump a clause and modify the 1st clause here?
_________________

Regards
SandySilva


____________
Please appreciate the efforts by pressing +1 KUDOS (:

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 524
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 10:02
sandysilva wrote:
Arguing that America has always been the land of immigrants, the Senator contended that anti-immigration policies mar the spirit of America, which he compared to cutting off a branch one is sitting on.

A) which he compared to cutting off a branch one is sitting on

B) which he compared to a branch one is sitting on which is being cut

C) comparing the process to the act of cutting off a branch one is sitting on

D) comparing them to cutting off a branch one is sitting on

E) comparing them to a branch one is sitting on which is being cut out


According to the OA, the policies are compared to the situation of cutting off a branch....... The comparison is faulty here. Imo C is the best in the lot.
Experts, request you to address the issue.
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1356
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 10:12
2
D is definitely the best of the bunch. A & B don't work because they seem to modify "the spirit of America," and the senator isn't comparing the spirit of America to cutting a branch. E is impossible because we don't want to compare the policies to a branch. C seems better, but there is no "process" to refer to. Policies are not a kind of process. We also don't need "the act" to have parallelism. "Cutting" can already serve as a noun. D clearly compares the policies to cutting off a branch.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 230
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 08:21
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is definitely the best of the bunch. A & B don't work because they seem to modify "the spirit of America," and the senator isn't comparing the spirit of America to cutting a branch. E is impossible because we don't want to compare the policies to a branch. C seems better, but there is no "process" to refer to. Policies are not a kind of process. We also don't need "the act" to have parallelism. "Cutting" can already serve as a noun. D clearly compares the policies to cutting off a branch.


Hi Dmitry. Thanks for making it more clear. However, my query still remains. What is the logic behind the usage of Comma+comparing in the sentence. If it is a clause modifier how can it jump the clause preceding it?
I'll be thankful if you can help.
_________________

Regards
SandySilva


____________
Please appreciate the efforts by pressing +1 KUDOS (:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 377
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 20:04
sandysilva wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is definitely the best of the bunch. A & B don't work because they seem to modify "the spirit of America," and the senator isn't comparing the spirit of America to cutting a branch. E is impossible because we don't want to compare the policies to a branch. C seems better, but there is no "process" to refer to. Policies are not a kind of process. We also don't need "the act" to have parallelism. "Cutting" can already serve as a noun. D clearly compares the policies to cutting off a branch.


Hi Dmitry. Thanks for making it more clear. However, my query still remains. What is the logic behind the usage of Comma+comparing in the sentence. If it is a clause modifier how can it jump the clause preceding it?
I'll be thankful if you can help.


Comma + comparing is "verb-ing" modifier. It is modifying "How" aspect of previous clause.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 20:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Arguing that america has always been the land of immigrants

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.