Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Around 1900, fishermen in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
payalkhndlwl wrote:
GMATNinja can you pls explain the diff between B&D?

The first decision point is "that" vs "having." When we're using a modifier to specify a noun, or differentiate that noun from a larger group, we'd use "that." For example:

"The dog that ate Dana's homework is kind of a jerk."

In this case, there could be multiple dogs, and I'm differentiating between the dog that ate Dana's homework and other dogs with better etiquette.

I'm not sure there's ever a time when "having" would be mandatory, but if we were to use it as a modifier, we'd do so to add incidental information:

"The dog, having eaten Dana's homework, is no longer hungry."

Notice that in this case, "having eaten Dana's homework" is set off by commas to communicate that this information isn't crucial. There's only one dog, and this dog happened to have eaten Dana's homework. (Notice also that the phrase beginning with "having + verb" describes an action that happened before the other action in the sentence.)

In this question, we're talking specifically about the "milldams sand culverts that blocked shad" as opposed to milldams and culverts, in general. And while comma usage is rarely important, notice also that "having" isn't set off by commas. Therefore we'd prefer "that" to "having." That's one reason to pick (B).

A second decision point is the verb tense, "had reduced" vs. "reduced." Any time we have the construction "By + YEAR IN PAST," and we wish to communicate that the action in question happened before this year, we'd use "had." In this case, the sentence includes the phrase "by 1920," and the reduction seems to have happened before 1920, so "had reduced" is correct, and (B) is again our champion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the nice explanation. +1.
Could you discuss the meaning of the following 3 versions, please? Always expecting wonderful explanation from you :)
    "The dog having eaten Dana's homework is no longer hungry."
    "The dog, which has eaten Dana's homework, is no longer hungry."

--
Also, it is better to explain the usage of 'shad' in choices A and E. Is 'shad' an adjective in A and E?
Thanks__

GMATNinja,
Hello Sir,
I'm going to tag you again thinking that you missed my query!

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 22 May 2020, 18:51.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 17 Sep 2020, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Re: Around 1900, fishermen in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than [#permalink]
Dear GMATGuruNY,

Why can't we use the same reason you posted below to reject choice B. in this question?

Quote:
Generally, the past perfect (had + VERBed) serves to express a past action completed before another past event.
C: Scientists had discovered that there were 17 nearby stars.
Since the usage of the past perfect (had discovered) seems to imply that the discovery of the 17 nearby stars was completed before the 17 nearby stars existed.
This sequence is illogical.
Eliminate C.

According to choice B. in this question, "blocked" were after "had reduced", conveying illogical meaning.

Also choice A. indicates that "overfishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts" still exists in present. Since choice A. has logical meaning, choice B. certainly distorts the intended meaning.
Quote:
If the original sentence conveys a meaning that make sense, this meaning should be considered the intended meaning.

Could you please clarify?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY,

Why can't we use the same reason you posted below to reject choice B. in this question?

Quote:
Generally, the past perfect (had + VERBed) serves to express a past action completed before another past event.
C: Scientists had discovered that there were 17 nearby stars.
Since the usage of the past perfect (had discovered) seems to imply that the discovery of the 17 nearby stars was completed before the 17 nearby stars existed.
This sequence is illogical.
Eliminate C.

According to choice B. in this question, "blocked" were after "had reduced", conveying illogical meaning.

The simple past tense can serve to express a PAST GENERAL TRUTH: something that was true not at a specific moment but was true in general.
Mary found a dirt road that connected the town to the city.
Common sense tells us that the modifier in blue does not refer to a specific moment but to the GENERAL NATURE of the dirt road.
As a general truth, the dirt road CONNECTED the town to the city.

OA: By 1920, milldams that blocked shad from migrating up their spawning streams had reduced landings.
Here, the modifier in green does not refer to a specific moment but to the general nature of the milldams.
Question: What KIND of milldams?
Answer: Milldams THAT BLOCKED SHAD FROM MIGRATING.
The past action here -- blocked -- does not refer to a specific moment but expresses a GENERAL TRUTH about the milldams.
The sentence conveys that -- by 1920 -- this type of milldam HAD REDUCED landings.
The purpose of the past perfect (had reduced) is to convey that the act of reducing was completed before the modifier in blue.

In contrast:
there was/were serves to express something that was true NOT in general but only AT A SPECIFIC MOMENT in the past.
There were ten women in the room.
Conveyed meaning:
As a SPECIFIC MOMENT in the past, ten women were in the room.

Illogical: Scientists had discovered that there were 17 nearby stars.
Here, the portion in red refers to a SPECIFIC MOMENT in the past that happened AFTER the past perfect action in blue.
This sequence is illogical, implying a discovery EARLIER IN THE PAST (had discovered) about a moment that happened LATER IN THE PAST (there were stars).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The simple past tense can serve to express a PAST GENERAL TRUTH: something that was true not at a specific moment but was true in general.
Mary found a dirt road that connected the town to the city.
Common sense tells us that the modifier in blue does not refer to a specific moment but to the GENERAL NATURE of the dirt road.
As a general truth, the dirt road CONNECTED the town to the city.

Thank you for beautiful response sir GMATGuruNY :)

I'm not quite clear why is present perfect tense in choice A. wrong?

Why is it illogical to say that blocking started in the past and remains in effect today?
"Milldams and culverts" are long-lasting infrastructure. So, IMO, it makes sense to say that the blocking is still relevant til now.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Thank you for beautiful response sir GMATGuruNY :)

I'm not quite clear why is present perfect tense in choice A. wrong?.

The present perfect serves to express a PAST ACTiON THAT AFFECTS THE PRESENT.
If there is no time modifier, the implication is that the action was performed in the RECENT PAST.
Biologists at the local university have discovered a bacterium that can withstand extreme heat.
Here, the present perfect verb in blue serves to express a RECENT discovery that affects our PRESENT knowledge of bacteria.

A: Around 1900, fishermen in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than seventeen million pounds of shad in a single year, but by 1920, over-fishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts that have blocked shad migrations up their spawning streams had reduced landings to less than four million pounds.
Here, the intention is to express actions that affected times in the PAST (1900 and 1920).
Thus, there is no justification for the use of present perfect verb in red, which implies an action performed in the RECENT PAST.
A good rule of thumb:
STAY IN ONE TENSE unless a change in tense is required.
Here, the main verbs (landed and had reduced) are past tense verbs.
Since the sentence does not require a change in tense, the verb in red should also be in the past tense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 324
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat VeritasPrepBrian I was able to eliminate all but options B and E. Could you please explain why Option E can be eliminated.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
doeadeer wrote:
GMATNinja egmat VeritasPrepBrian I was able to eliminate all but options B and E. Could you please explain why Option E can be eliminated.

Hi doeadeer,

Although there are other issues in E, a quick way to take E out is to focus on the their.

The correct option uses the word "shad". Option E, however, uses "shad migrations", in which the main word is migrations. This is not particularly good for the their after up, as the their now seems to point to migrations.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo egmat EducationAisle sayantanc2k

Please could I now what does "their" in "their spawning streams" refer to?

The word spawning is generally used to refer to the reproduction of fish, thus "their spawning streams" I guess is used to modify "Shad". But isn't Shad singular"

Usage of "having" in (D) and (E)
E.g Having done his homework, Ron went out to play.

In the above, the "having done his homework" denotes an action that is already taken place and post this action, Ron went out to play.

Keeping the above in mind I wasn't able to understand why "having blocked" in (D) and (E) is incorrect?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
payalkhndlwl wrote:
GMATNinja can you pls explain the diff between B&D?

The first decision point is "that" vs "having." When we're using a modifier to specify a noun, or differentiate that noun from a larger group, we'd use "that." For example:

"The dog that ate Dana's homework is kind of a jerk."

In this case, there could be multiple dogs, and I'm differentiating between the dog that ate Dana's homework and other dogs with better etiquette.

I'm not sure there's ever a time when "having" would be mandatory, but if we were to use it as a modifier, we'd do so to add incidental information:

Notice that in this case, "having eaten Dana's homework" is set off by commas to communicate that this information isn't crucial. There's only one dog, and this dog happened to have eaten Dana's homework. (Notice also that the phrase beginning with "having + verb" describes an action that happened before the other action in the sentence.)

In this question, we're talking specifically about the "milldams sand culverts that blocked shad" as opposed to milldams and culverts, in general. And while comma usage is rarely important, notice also that "having" isn't set off by commas. Therefore we'd prefer "that" to "having." That's one reason to pick (B).

A second decision point is the verb tense, "had reduced" vs. "reduced." Any time we have the construction "By + YEAR IN PAST," and we wish to communicate that the action in question happened before this year, we'd use "had." In this case, the sentence includes the phrase "by 1920," and the reduction seems to have happened before 1920, so "had reduced" is correct, and (B) is again our champion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the nice explanation. +1.
Could you discuss the meaning of the following 3 versions, please? Always expecting wonderful explanation from you :)
    "The dog having eaten Dana's homework is no longer hungry."
    "The dog, which has eaten Dana's homework, is no longer hungry."

--
Also, it is better to explain the usage of 'shad' in choices A and E. Is 'shad' an adjective in A and E?
Thanks__

GMATNinja,
Hello Sir,
I'm going to tag you again thinking that you missed my query!

As discussed above, it makes more sense to use "having" with incidental information set off by commas. So the second example is something that you probably wouldn't ever see.

The third example sets off the "which..." part with commas, implying that there is only one dog and that the "which..." part isn't crucial information. (By the way, you probably want to use "who" instead of "which" if you want to avoid the wrath of dog lovers who like to think that their pets are really people!).

But, as with most things SC, the goal here is NOT to come up with a list of black and white rules that can be blindly applied to other problems (i.e. "'having' set off by commas means X, a noun modifier set off by commas means Y, a noun modifier NOT set off by commas means Z...). The explanation above is meant to show how the choice of "that" vs "having" subtly affects the meaning in this particular example. Is that difference a rock solid reason to eliminate D? Nope. But it's a vote in favor of B over D.

As for (A) and (E): "shad" certainly modifies "migration." But that doesn't quite mean that it's an adjective. It's absolutely fine for nouns to modify other nouns (i.e. "blueberry muffin" or "town hall"). These are called attributive nouns, if you like the jargon.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM