GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 22:13
Could you please explain as to why D is the correct answer. It brings in a compulsion factor in the assumption question contrary to what we generally tend to avoid for an assumption question.
Can you please tell the best way to tackle this question.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 03:39
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art

Source: Powerscore CR Bible

I got this question wrong myself. I had chosen "B". I was confused between B and D. But if we apply negation technique D will stand as the clear winner.

B's Negation - Stravinsky and Manet DID NOT receive public funding for their art --Even if they didn't receive funding, public funds can still be used to support art. Conclusion stands

D's Negation - Public fund should NOT support art --If this is true then the conclusion falls apart.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 16:50
ucb2k7 The "compulsion" you mention is also in the conclusion, which says that we "should not hesitate" to fund shocking art. If the conclusion were about simple fact: what is/isn't funded, what is/isn't considered art by most people, then we wouldn't want "should." But the argument is making a recommendation, so we need guidance for that recommendation. In simple terms, we need a "should" to prove another "should."

If we negate D--public funds should NOT support art--then we certainly couldn't draw the conclusion, which says that we shouldn't hesitate to fund even art that shocks people.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 02:52
AC

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 08:49
Allow me to explain.
Premise: Public funds are pooled. Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented.
Conclusion: Public funds should be used to support art anyways.
Assumption:Should bridge the gap, sufficiently from the context of the information provided.
Quote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
Bridges the gap between the conclusion and premise.
5. Anything that shocks is an art
pudipeddi wrote:
AC

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 08:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap