GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 45
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 May 2017, 08:32
5
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:13) correct 50% (01:24) wrong based on 810 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art

Source: Powerscore CR Bible

Originally posted by hitman4683v1 on 01 Oct 2009, 12:07.
Last edited by broall on 23 May 2017, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 282
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 12:19
1
Almost every answer looks wrong to me.
So closest I can say is A.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 811
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 13:10
Source??? No answer choice looks like an assumption
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 477
Schools: Fuqua
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 14:02
1
The source is from PowerScore CR Bible.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 180
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 15:15
D?

Without the assumption that public funds should be used to support art then the whole argument falls apart.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 57
Location: Astoria, NYC
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 18:13
I like A. This keeps it in line and adds to the conclusion. We need to find something that makes it clear that art is often shocking....and the fact that the assumption of Most art is shocking (answer choice A), is the best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 272
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 20:03
I would take A

though A and D are pretty close and usage of most in A looks suspicious
_________________

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 21:29
1
I chose D.

A is wrong simply because is not an assumption as in the argument it is said that "So, since it is clear that art is often shocking".
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Posts: 74
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2009, 23:35
1
anish319 wrote:
I like A. This keeps it in line and adds to the conclusion. We need to find something that makes it clear that art is often shocking....and the fact that the assumption of Most art is shocking (answer choice A), is the best answer.

You are wrong. Conclusion of the stimulus is not "Art is shocking" but it is "Public fund should support art" So the assumption should support the later one. "Most art is socking" can be a premise and not the assumtion since by the definition of assumtion "Assumtions are unstated premise which if can be proven wrong, undermines the conclusion."
I think the answer should be D.
_________________

Consider kudos for good post.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 45
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 00:36
1
OA is D
The source as said earlier is Powerscore CR bible. This is a question from the assumption chapter
The argument structure is:
Premise: Great works of art have often elicited....outrage and derision
Premise: Art is often shocking
Conclusion: We shouldnt hesitate to use public funds for art
Here the public funds is clear disconnect from the earlier premises. So we need to provide an assumption that makes public funds coherent with the rest of the stimuli
A -> author says Art is shocking...what kind or what amount is never specified
B -> <Initially I selected this> This is most popular wrong answer<as the book says> Even if true, this doesnt prove the conclusion
C -> Doesnt even come close
D -> This is the only option that does the required connection
E -> Yeah right....tell me about it.... :o :o
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1803
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 10:19
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?
1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art

OA to follow soon


Chose (D) guys but honestly this is one of the worst questions i've encountered for CR.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 153
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2014, 03:02
jlgdr wrote:
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?
1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art

OA to follow soon


Chose (D) guys but honestly this is one of the worst questions i've encountered for CR.

Cheers



Hello JLGDR,

does "often" in CR refers to always ?or if not,then how should we use it ?

thnx mate...looking forward to ua response :)
_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 590
Schools: Cambridge'16
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2014, 07:31
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?
1. Most art is shocking
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art

OA to follow soon


Argument structure is:


Art is often shocking ------------------------> Not hesitate to fund what is shocking

We get: Not hesitate to fund art. That is the asuumption, anwer is D


Choice A is just repeating premise so cannot be assumption
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 22:54
What I think is that in the first choice 'A' the use of 'Most' is extreme.
So the only choice left would be 'D' .

I think 'D' is the answer.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1148
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 00:23
I agree that choices A,B,C and E can be considered wrong.
But Even choice D makes an extreme statement that public funds should support art.
I feel compulsion shown by introducing should be removed and then it would be a right option.
We can assume D as it is

I request someone to explain the above query.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1789
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 11:14
Normally, B should be the answer.
In this question, even though I understand why D is the answer, but I still feel unconvincing. Would you help me, experts?

My thinking:
2 examples only strengthen "the greatness of the art", nothing more.
Now, we need a statement that "public fund support the art" so that the conclusion holds true.

Is that so?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 664
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 23:28
D is more like an Inference rather than an assumption.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 06:43
IMO OA is D

1. Most art is shocking
-> The passage said 'So,since it is clear that art is often shocking'
: 'Often' do not have similar meaning of 'Most'
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their art
-> nothing
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently is
-> Inversed argumen.
The passage said 'Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented'
It means that in the past, art was shocking. But now art is not shocking.
4. Public fund should support art
-> Keep.
5. Anything that shocks is an art
-> Same as A.
:'Anything' do not have similar meaning of 'Most'.

Only left thing is D, so I chose D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2018
Posts: 57
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 04:19
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited outrage when first presented; in Europe, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring prompted a riot, and Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe elicited outrage and derision. So, since it is clear that art is often shocking, we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

Which of the following is an assumption, that is required for the Art historian to draw his conclusion properly?

1. Most art is shockingExtreme answer. Wrong.
2. Stravinsky and Manet received public funding for their artWehther these two arts received public funding need not be necessarily the assumption.
3. Art used to be more shocking than it currently isWhether art used to be more shocking than it currently is will not affect the conclusion. Hence this choice is not the assumption.
4. Public fund should support art
5. Anything that shocks is an art Again an extreme choice. Wrong.

Source: Powerscore CR Bible


Conclusion: Even if art is shocking, public funds can be used for supporting works of art without any hesitation.

If public fund should not support art, then the funds cannot be used for supporting works of art whether they are shocking or not. Hence conclusion must depend on the assumption that public fund should support art.

KUDOs if you like my explanation. :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 305
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 06:32
D.

Since only D as a option breaks down conclusion when negated. All other options do not hit the conclusion and are not a pre-requisite for the conclusion to hold true. Conclusion is- we should not hesitate to use public funds for supporting works of art that many people find shocking.

A. Exaggerated.
B. Not related with the conclusion.
C. Not related.
D. Keep & negate.
E. Exaggerated and not related for the conclusion to hold true.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited &nbs [#permalink] 12 Feb 2018, 06:32

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Art historian: Great works of art have often elicited

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.