GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 01:15
I am very upset with this question.

I live in a country where if you have high land value, you might as well just build a normal house instead of a multistory building. It is not a rule. So how am I supposed to know that in the US or whatever high land = multistory building?

The rest of the answers didn't make sense either but it left me puzzled. I am very upset!
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1381
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 02:46
samia33 wrote:
I am very upset with this question.

I live in a country where if you have high land value, you might as well just build a normal house instead of a multistory building. It is not a rule. So how am I supposed to know that in the US or whatever high land = multistory building?

The rest of the answers didn't make sense either but it left me puzzled. I am very upset!


You can't take that as a true fact in GMAT questions. You can only use the information that each question provides.
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 01:48
I selected option E as clearing the bamboo from a bamboo growing area, makes it less available, hence, negating the situation.

Why would this logic not work?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3624
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 02:08
1
sahilsbakshi wrote:
I selected option E as clearing the bamboo from a bamboo growing area, makes it less available, hence, negating the situation.

Why would this logic not work?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi sahilsbakshi ,

The argument has clearly mentioned that Bamboo is readily available. Now, if I consider your point true, It means I am trying to break the premise. This is strictly not allowed.

The argument is actually all about constructing economically cheap homes in one area while not the same in another.

We need to find out the reason for that. Your point is no where telling us the point we are looking for.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 382
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 03:22
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Paradox - Building with bamboo makes economic sense EXCEPT where the land values are high.


(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
This doesn't explain why the author suggests NOT to use Bamboo in high land value areas. OUT

(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
Yes, this makes sense. If Bamboos are not suitable for multi-story buildings, and that's what people would want to build in highly coveted areas, then it tells us why the paradox exists. KEEP.

(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
It could still end up cheaper than concrete. OUT.

(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
This is irrelevant information. OUT.

(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.

Bamboo plants are cleared for construction. Does this mean we cannot use bamboo's to make houses, etc.? Moreover, I'm concerned about solving the paradox presented in the argument, and not about setting the land up for construction, so this is going beyond the argument. OUT.

B is the answer.
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 05:04
abhimahna wrote:
sahilsbakshi wrote:
I selected option E as clearing the bamboo from a bamboo growing area, makes it less available, hence, negating the situation.

Why would this logic not work?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi sahilsbakshi ,

The argument has clearly mentioned that Bamboo is readily available. Now, if I consider your point true, It means I am trying to break the premise. This is strictly not allowed.

The argument is actually all about constructing economically cheap homes in one area while not the same in another.

We need to find out the reason for that. Your point is no where telling us the point we are looking for.

Does that make sense?


Yes, it does. Thanks a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 04:28
I have no problems with option B but why not Option E, option E will not be economically sensible
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2043
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 20:05
1
monidip1010 wrote:
I have no problems with option B but why not Option E, option E will not be economically sensible

The last few posts by abhishekdadarwal2009, abhimahna, and akshayk address option (E) specifically, so please review those replies before posting further questions.

We are trying to explain why BUILDING with bamboo does NOT make better economic sense where land values are high. The source of the bamboo is irrelevant in explaining this exception.

If we want to build in a tropical area, using bamboo usually makes more economic sense REGARDLESS of where that bamboo comes from. In other words, even if we are building in an area where land values are low, the bamboo still might come from places where land values are increasing. The sources might be the same regardless of where we are building. So why is building with bamboo economically viable in most tropical areas but not in areas where land values are high? Only choice (B) explains this exception.

I hope this helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 13:18
As other people already noticed : B would be true only if we assume that there is a link between multistory buildings and lands with a high value.
Not only there is no reason to make this assumption in the context of this GMAT question, but actually it is a wrong assumption in real life.

Rich houses with a rich neighborhood are constructed on lands with a high value.
A lot of multistory buildings are constructed to accommodate families that have a low income. These buildings are surrounded by a poor neighborhood where the land value is very low.

Let's present things with a differently perspective:
If I am an executive in some company, and I discover that in a certain region there are a lot of multistory buildings, then I conclude that it is a region with a high land value.
From there, I use this information to build my company strategy...
How wise would that be?

Of course, in the GMAT we need to pick the best answer, but still, the best answer should not rely on a wrong assumption.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 125
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 10:14
Dear experts,

Could you please explain why B is correct. In order B to explain the except situation above we should make assumption which, I think ,requires far more assumption than required in any GMAT CR question. Also, it is not everyone's common sense that highly valued land is used primarily for multistorey buildings. One, for example, could argue that highly valued lands is occupied by wealthy people who constructed mansions or there's not any city-like (not sure there's such a word :)) objects (skyscrapers, industrial plants etc) and thus the atmosphere is fresh, so land prices are high.

On the other hand, answer choice C says that bamboo bears some additional cost. That's why total cost of construction in lower priced lands makes better economics sense. However, if we want to construct something from bamboo in high valued land there will be higher land cost+ additional bamboo costs which makes construction less efficient from economic standpoint than that of tropical areas where land prices are lower.

What I am missing here?
_________________

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2043
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 21:40
Mehemmed wrote:
Dear experts,

Could you please explain why B is correct. In order B to explain the except situation above we should make assumption which, I think ,requires far more assumption than required in any GMAT CR question. Also, it is not everyone's common sense that highly valued land is used primarily for multistorey buildings. One, for example, could argue that highly valued lands is occupied by wealthy people who constructed mansions or there's not any city-like (not sure there's such a word :)) objects (skyscrapers, industrial plants etc) and thus the atmosphere is fresh, so land prices are high.

On the other hand, answer choice C says that bamboo bears some additional cost. That's why total cost of construction in lower priced lands makes better economics sense. However, if we want to construct something from bamboo in high valued land there will be higher land cost+ additional bamboo costs which makes construction less efficient from economic standpoint than that of tropical areas where land prices are lower.

What I am missing here?

Mehemmed, yes, just because land values are high does NOT necessarily mean that it will be used for multi-story buildings. But we are not looking for a 100% air-tight explanation. We are looking for something that "most helps to explain the exception noted above."

Quote:
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.

We are told that "in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available." (C) tells us that there is some additional cost involved in using bamboo. But if bamboo is MUCH less expensive, who cares if there is SOME additional cost?

It's like saying that prices at Grocery Store A are MUCH cheaper than prices at Grocery Store B (assume all other factors are equal). But Store A charges a small fee for every plastic or paper bag used to bag your groceries whereas Store B does not. Would that small fee prevent you from shopping at Store A? Of course not.

More importantly, we are looking for something that explains why bamboo makes better economic sense in tropical areas EXCEPT when land values are high. Choice (C) describes a factor that would affect price REGARDLESS of whether land values are high. Thus, (C) cannot explain the exception and must be eliminated.

This post explains why (B) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 03:11
GMATNinja wrote:
monidip1010 wrote:
I have no problems with option B but why not Option E, option E will not be economically sensible

The last few posts by abhishekdadarwal2009, abhimahna, and akshayk address option (E) specifically, so please review those replies before posting further questions.

We are trying to explain why BUILDING with bamboo does NOT make better economic sense where land values are high. The source of the bamboo is irrelevant in explaining this exception.

If we want to build in a tropical area, using bamboo usually makes more economic sense REGARDLESS of where that bamboo comes from. In other words, even if we are building in an area where land values are low, the bamboo still might come from places where land values are increasing. The sources might be the same regardless of where we are building. So why is building with bamboo economically viable in most tropical areas but not in areas where land values are high? Only choice (B) explains this exception.

I hope this helps!



Although I got this question Correct , your explanation makes my world more clearer. Thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 76
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 05:55
1
I was stuck between B & E, but ultimately chose E because it was mentioned in stimulus that "As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete." and thought this could be the reason to eliminate B. I mean if Bamboo is as strong as steel and concrete then it should be suitable for even multi-storied buildings.. Can anyone help to explain why my reasoning could be wrong? I chose E because availability of a resource is counted as one of the economical factors..
_________________

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jun 2018, 05:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.