It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a result of medical advances, many people that might at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: many people that might at one time have died as children [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:59
This post received
KUDOS
Might have died one time is not the same as might have died once. Here the one time belong to the category of arithmetical count one-time, two times etc. After all, of us die only one time. Therefore, that is not the intention of the sentence.

Might have died once - means -might have died once upon a time - ;
Hence let us drop all the one –time might have died options, retaining only B and C. between B and C, that cannot be used for human beings; Hence, C is gone. This leaves B as the option.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:50
(B) who might once have died in childhood

This option sounds as if,
How many time one can die?
once in childhood?and later in old age?

Please clarify.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 18:09
A and C are out as "that" cannot modify people.
Out of B,D and E
D means as if people die multiple times.
E is awkward.
B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2012, 05:16
18 seconds,,, :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

Aiming to nail it this time :wink:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2012, 06:21
The key difference is between (B) and (D), and is one of meaning.

(D) suggests that people may have actually died at one time. This is nonsensical. One can only die once.

(B) avoids this error with 'might once have died...'.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
As a result of medical advances, many people that might at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2012, 08:18
As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.

(A) that might at one time have died as children
(C) that as children might once have died
(D) who in childhood might have at one time died
(E) who, when they were children, might at one time have died

I am not convienced with the OA provided for this question, please assist. How can it be childhood of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: As a result of medical advances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2012, 08:22
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 02:42
The intent : many people might have died in childhood BUT Many people now live well ( WHY? ) = As a result of medical advances

So to form this into a logical construction :

vertical scan : THAT doesn't make any sense = Eliminate choices having THAT ie A n C = gone

WHO is more appropriate here : So we can zone in on B / D / E

E : is wrong as usual = when they were children ( not to fret too much over this ) = Eliminated

B n D : Remove all the fluff and reread :

B : People who might have died in childhood......... now......... live into old age (Parallel )

D : People who in childhood might have died........ now......... live into old age ( does it sound better than B ?) = Eliminated

leading to B = my take
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2012, 03:31
D makes it sound as if the children were all about to die at the same time, so it is B.
Manager
Manager
Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:37
(A) wrong: Use of that is wrong
(B) correct: concise and conveys the intended meaning
(C) wrong: same as A
(D) wrong: modifier problem - incorrect placement of "childhood" which is supposed to modify "died"
(E) wrong: Too wordy
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 03:28
However I feel, to use "Once" with death is like .. you die many times ... once,twice...
Hence don't agree with B and C

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Intern
Intern
As a result of medical advances, many people that might at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 18:33
ChrisLele
ChrisLele wrote:
The key difference is between (B) and (D), and is one of meaning.

(D) suggests that people may have actually died at one time. This is nonsensical. One can only die once.

(B) avoids this error with 'might once have died...'.

If it were died one time , then your explanation of option (D) would have been correct.
BUT, died AT one time , technically means same as died once upon a time.
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 23:51
gmat dose not accept "that" refering to person in relative clause. but this point is not tested on question in recent og books. this question is from very old og book, which , it seems, is og 10

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 01:25
sidbidus wrote:
121. As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.

(A) that might at one time have died as children
(C) that as children might once have died
(D) who in childhood might have at one time died
(E) who, when they were children, might at one time have died

Between B and D, there is structural difference. Usually, a sentence goes like this -> subject verb prepositional phrase.. In D , prepositional phrase is placed randomly between subject and verb ,and between have and died. This makes the sentence awkward. Also, at one time can be written as once.
Senior SC Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 14:36
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain why (D) is incorrect here?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hazelnut wrote:

Hello hazelnut,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Choice D is incorrect for the usage of the phrase one time in childhood. This expression seems to suggest that the many people night have died one time in the childhood as if they could actually die many times.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior SC Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 15:01
egmat wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Hello hazelnut,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Choice D is incorrect for the usage of the phrase one time in childhood. This expression seems to suggest that the many people night have died one time in the childhood as if they could actually die many times.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat, Thank you for replying. However, upon looking up at Cambridge Dictionary, "at one time" = in the past.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 70.75 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think egmat was correct in this case, hazelnut, but the issue is more with the placement of the phrase "at one time", and not really with the difference between "once" and "at one time."

I'm not sure if this little exercise will help, but let's see what happens if we swap "once" and "at one time", but keep the placement the same as before. So which of these two would you prefer?

(B)...many people who might at one time have died as children... now live well into old age.
    (D) ... many people who in childhood might have at one time died... now live well into old age.

And what about now?

(B)...many people who might once have died as children... now live well into old age.
    (D) ... many people who in childhood might have once died... now live well into old age.

And here's the actual answer choices again:

(B)...many people who might once have died as children... now live well into old age.
    (D) ... many people who in childhood might have at one time died... now live well into old age.

The problem is that in (D), "at one time" seems to be modifying "died" -- and as Shraddha pointed out, that doesn't make a lot of sense. If we think about what that's saying strictly and literally, it seems to imply that the people died once in childhood, but then kept living -- or least that's what it seems to be saying. In (B), "once" modifies "might have" -- suggesting that it's possible in the past that they could have died before modern medicine became more awesome.

It's a tricky question to explain! I'm surprised that it's tagged as sub-600 level -- this one is slippery, but I hope that this made some sense.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Great Lakes
GMAT 1: 660 Q37 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 03:05
GMATNinja wrote:
I think egmat was correct in this case, hazelnut, but the issue is more with the placement of the phrase "at one time", and not really with the difference between "once" and "at one time."

I'm not sure if this little exercise will help, but let's see what happens if we swap "once" and "at one time", but keep the placement the same as before. So which of these two would you prefer?

(B)...many people who might at one time have died as children... now live well into old age.

And what about now?

(D) ... many people who in childhood might have once died... now live well into old age.

And here's the actual answer choices again:

The problem is that in (D), "at one time" seems to be modifying "died" -- and as Shraddha pointed out, that doesn't make a lot of sense. If we think about what that's saying strictly and literally, it seems to imply that the people died once in childhood, but then kept living -- or least that's what it seems to be saying. In (B), "once" modifies "might have" -- suggesting that it's possible in the past that they could have died before modern medicine became more awesome.

It's a tricky question to explain! I'm surprised that it's tagged as sub-600 level -- this one is slippery, but I hope that this made some sense.

I have a question ,fellow gmat club members.
Does the presence of 'that' make option A incorrect? can people only be modified by using 'who'?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 18:57
doeadoer wrote:

I have a question ,fellow gmat club members.
Does the presence of 'that' make option A incorrect? can people only be modified by using 'who'?

Really good question. In general, "who" can only modify people, and "that" can modify either people or things. So I definitely wouldn't argue that "that", by itself, makes (A) incorrect.

But I remember answering another question about this somewhere on GMAT Club (massive kudos for anybody who can find that post!), and I think I went through every OG and verbal guide edition I have, and I couldn't find a case in which "that" was actually used to modify a person in a correct answer. I also couldn't find any official GMAT questions in which the choice between "who" and "that" was a meaningful issue.

So I think "that" is probably acceptable to modify people on the GMAT, just like it is in "real world" English. And I don't think that the GMAT cares about the distinction, one way or another.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 18:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

As a result of medical advances, many people that might at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap