GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 07:56
IMO ans is (E). Firstly, the should be used to indicate 50,000 to 100,000 represents all the genes. Secondly, in a mere should be used as it is an adj. Merely should be followed by a verb or another adverb which is not here.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 14:24
123. As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many scientists now believe that all of the information encoded in 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely three percent of the cell’s DNA.
(A) 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely
(B) 50,000 to 100,000 of the human cell’s different genes are contained in a mere
(C) the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in human cells are contained in merely
(D) 50,000 to 100,000 of human cell’s different genes is contained in merely
(E) the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in a human cell is contained in a mere

A, B, C are out because "information" does not go with "are" .. "information" goes with "is" of option D and E
Between D & E, "mere" sounds correct and "merely" sounds incorrect (without getting too technical about it).. There E is CORRECT
Also "human cell´s different genes" vs "different genes found in a human cell" - the latter sounds correct but can anyone point out why (technically speaking)

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 22:51
NooName wrote:
123. As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many scientists now believe that all of the information encoded in 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely three percent of the cell’s DNA.
(A) 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely
(B) 50,000 to 100,000 of the human cell’s different genes are contained in a mere
(C) the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in human cells are contained in merely
(E) the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in a human cell is contained in a mere

A, B, C are out because "information" does not go with "are" .. "information" goes with "is" of option D and E
Between D & E, "mere" sounds correct and "merely" sounds incorrect (without getting too technical about it).. There E is CORRECT
Also "human cell´s different genes" vs "different genes found in a human cell" - the latter sounds correct but can anyone point out why (technically speaking)

Main breaker between option D & E is use of MERE..
Additionally
On GMAT use of PLURAL POSSESSIVE NOUN (PPN) is not preferred when PPN is being modified. Thus use of "different genes found in a human cell" is preferred

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 08:13
goalsnr wrote:
helpmeongmat wrote:

E
"Information"is singular and hence "is" is required ->A,B,C are out.
"merely" in D is incoorect

I think 'is' is required because of 'all'. 'All of the information' is a prepositional phrase and the subject is 'all' not 'information'.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 08:18
sayantanc2k wrote:
The OA has been added and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button and post your queries – closing this request.

Please let me know what is the subject here. Isn't it 'All' rather than 'information' 'All of the information' is prepositional phrase.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 08:32
E? I think "is" is required instead of "are" and -ly in merely in D sounds nonsensical. Am I right?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 07:08
As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many scientists now believe that all of the information encoded in 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely three percent of the cell’s DNA.

This question requires understanding of multiples concepts such as..
1. Subject Verb Agreement(Singular Subject--> Singular Verb and Plural Subject--> Plural Verb)
2. Adverb vs Adjective ( Adverb modifies verb, adjective but not noun whereas Adjective modifies Noun)

Wrong: Violation of rule 1 as well as Rule 2 ( Subject- information so can't use are )

Wrong: Same as A

Wrong: Same as A

Wrong:It is good w.r.t Rule 1 but violates Rule 2 because here we need to modify noun i.e 3 percent so requires mere(adjective).

Correct: Subject Verb Agreement--correct
modifies noun using adjective.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jul 2018, 07:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap