It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 11:12
On second reading I understood my mistake in B of actors is in prepositional phrase so it can not be noun , so the two actors are definitely not two generations ?
Am i correct in my reasoning ?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 06:23
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

D & E out as we need "Stella Adler" because the previous clause describes her
A out because "who" reference is unclear
B out because "who include" is incorrect
C best choice

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 06:22
Though my answer is correct, I couldn't figure out what exactly is wrong with A and B.
B is quite convincing.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 11:20
"C" is the correct choice - In the sentence, substituting 'training' for 'who trained' and 'whose ranks included' for 'including' eliminates the modification errors.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 405

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 02:13
kimmyg wrote:
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 49
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

choice a suffer a terrible problem
A means "the most infuluential artists trained many generations of artists including Marlon and Robert.

this meaning make no sense. the most influential artist dose not trained Marlon and Robert.

choice C means.
Stellar was one of the most influent artist because Stellar trained many genartion of artists including Marlon and Robert. This is logic

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 405

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9421 [0], given: 347

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 03:06
rekhabishop wrote:
Though my answer is correct, I couldn't figure out what exactly is wrong with A and B.
B is quite convincing.

Hello rekhabishop,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

Let's begin with understanding the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence presents some information about Stella Adler. She was an actress and an acting teacher. As a teacher, she was one of the most significant artists in the American theater. She trained many generations of actors. Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are some of the actors from those generations.

Now let's talk about the errors in Choice A.

i. Logical error: The way the sentence is worded, it seems to suggest that the generations of actors include Brando and De Niro. This meaning is not correct. Actors cannot be generations.
If we consider that including associates with actors, then also the meaning conveyed by the sentence will not be appropriate because then the sentence will suggest that Adler trained Brando and De Niro.

ii. Grammatical error: The noun modifier who seems to refer to the preceding noun entity the American theater. The far-away noun modification of one of the most influential artists is not possible because the phrase in the American theater actually modifies the verb was. Hence, who cannot jump over this phrase.

Following are the errors in Choice B:

i. Same logic error as in Choice A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 07:10
egmat wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
B is quite convincing.

Hello rekhabishop,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

Let's begin with understanding the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence presents some information about Stella Adler. She was an actress and an acting teacher. As a teacher, she was one of the most significant artists in the American theater. She trained many generations of actors. Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are some of the actors from those generations.

Now let's talk about the errors in Choice A.

i. Logical error: The way the sentence is worded, it seems to suggest that the generations of actors include Brando and De Niro. This meaning is not correct. Actors cannot be generations.
If we consider that including associates with actors, then also the meaning conveyed by the sentence will not be appropriate because then the sentence will suggest that Adler trained Brando and De Niro.

ii. Grammatical error: The noun modifier who seems to refer to the preceding noun entity the American theater. The far-away noun modification of one of the most influential artists is not possible because the phrase in the American theater actually modifies the verb was. Hence, who cannot jump over this phrase.

Following are the errors in Choice B:

i. Same logic error as in Choice A.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi shraddha..

Just one more clarification needed.

In this sentence "in the theater" modifying was. Is it because it mentions a where part of adverbial modifier. Can we safely assume that whenever "in X" comes we can never jump the phrase for getting next possible noun.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

VP
VP
G

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 09:53
kimmyg wrote:

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 49
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

The answer is C

Original sentence has multiple error

Relative pronoun who is used wrongly also use of including is not good , it seems to suggest there were many people and including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro changes meaning .
B has tense problem as it uses who include which is wrong the tense should be in past
C is correct
D modifier error the starting clause should modify Stella Adler
E same as D

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 02:08
KanakGarg wrote:

Hi shraddha..

Just one more clarification needed.

In this sentence "in the theater" modifying was. Is it because it mentions a where part of adverbial modifier. Can we safely assume that whenever "in X" comes we can never jump the phrase for getting next possible noun.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Hello KanakGarg,

Thank you for your query. :-)

Yes, it is true that in the American theater answers the question where was Stella Adler influential. So this phrase is an action modifier and hence stops who from modifying a slightly far-away noun one of the most influential artists.

However, we cannot say that the prepositional phrase in X will always hinder such far-away noun modification. If this phrase modifies the same noun entity that the relative pronoun or the any other noun modifier, placed a little far away, is meant to modify, then the noun modifier can jump over the preceding noun to refer to the slightly far-away noun. For example:

The beehives in the region that store high-quality honey are protected by the villagers.

Needless to say that in the above-mentioned example sentence, the relative pronoun modifier that jumps over the preceding prepositional phrase in the region and modifies the slightly far-away noun The beehives because the preceding prepositional phrase in the region also modifies The beehives.

For more details, explanations, and examples, please review out one of the most famous articles named Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 02:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 89 posts ] 

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap