Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella [#permalink]
Though my answer is correct, I couldn't figure out what exactly is wrong with A and B.
B is quite convincing.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
Though my answer is correct, I couldn't figure out what exactly is wrong with A and B.
B is quite convincing.

Hello rekhabishop,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

Let's begin with understanding the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence presents some information about Stella Adler. She was an actress and an acting teacher. As a teacher, she was one of the most significant artists in the American theater. She trained many generations of actors. Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are some of the actors from those generations.

Now let's talk about the errors in Choice A.

i. Logical error: The way the sentence is worded, it seems to suggest that the generations of actors include Brando and De Niro. This meaning is not correct. Actors cannot be generations.
If we consider that including associates with actors, then also the meaning conveyed by the sentence will not be appropriate because then the sentence will suggest that Adler trained Brando and De Niro.

ii. Grammatical error: The noun modifier who seems to refer to the preceding noun entity the American theater. The far-away noun modification of one of the most influential artists is not possible because the phrase in the American theater actually modifies the verb was. Hence, who cannot jump over this phrase.

Following are the errors in Choice B:

i. Same logic error as in Choice A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
egmat wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
B is quite convincing.

Hello rekhabishop,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

Let's begin with understanding the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence presents some information about Stella Adler. She was an actress and an acting teacher. As a teacher, she was one of the most significant artists in the American theater. She trained many generations of actors. Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are some of the actors from those generations.

Now let's talk about the errors in Choice A.

i. Logical error: The way the sentence is worded, it seems to suggest that the generations of actors include Brando and De Niro. This meaning is not correct. Actors cannot be generations.
If we consider that including associates with actors, then also the meaning conveyed by the sentence will not be appropriate because then the sentence will suggest that Adler trained Brando and De Niro.

ii. Grammatical error: The noun modifier who seems to refer to the preceding noun entity the American theater. The far-away noun modification of one of the most influential artists is not possible because the phrase in the American theater actually modifies the verb was. Hence, who cannot jump over this phrase.

Following are the errors in Choice B:

i. Same logic error as in Choice A.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi shraddha..

Just one more clarification needed.

In this sentence "in the theater" modifying was. Is it because it mentions a where part of adverbial modifier. Can we safely assume that whenever "in X" comes we can never jump the phrase for getting next possible noun.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
KanakGarg wrote:

Hi shraddha..

Just one more clarification needed.

In this sentence "in the theater" modifying was. Is it because it mentions a where part of adverbial modifier. Can we safely assume that whenever "in X" comes we can never jump the phrase for getting next possible noun.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Hello KanakGarg,

Thank you for your query. :-)

Yes, it is true that in the American theater answers the question where was Stella Adler influential. So this phrase is an action modifier and hence stops who from modifying a slightly far-away noun one of the most influential artists.

However, we cannot say that the prepositional phrase in X will always hinder such far-away noun modification. If this phrase modifies the same noun entity that the relative pronoun or the any other noun modifier, placed a little far away, is meant to modify, then the noun modifier can jump over the preceding noun to refer to the slightly far-away noun. For example:

The beehives in the region that store high-quality honey are protected by the villagers.

Needless to say that in the above-mentioned example sentence, the relative pronoun modifier that jumps over the preceding prepositional phrase in the region and modifies the slightly far-away noun The beehives because the preceding prepositional phrase in the region also modifies The beehives.

For more details, explanations, and examples, please review out one of the most famous articles named Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Not convinced with the answer. Can you please explain why A is incorrect?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
MagooshExpert wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun ,GMATNinja , ChiranjeevSingh, mikemcgarry ,egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal ,DmitryFarber , other experts - please enlighten

The National Fitness Test consists mostly of body-weight exercises, including sit-ups, push-ups, and chin-ups.
Comma+Including is used -
* It modifies the preceding noun
* It should give a list of some, but not all of that noun.

1.Is there a difference between the usage of comma+ including and including(without a preceding comma)? -- normally for Verb-ing modifiers the presence of comma leads to modification of the preceding action whereas, without the comma, the verb-ing modifies the preceding noun.

2. How do we decide whether verb-ing ( including ) modifies actors or the phrase several generations of actors ? I think it will depend on the context (what follows including )
In option A including follows Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro(examples of actors) . So doesn't it make sense?

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including ---
Who illogically refers to American theater, but can't who refer to the phrase "one of the most influential artists in the American theater" since who can only modify people and American theater isn't a person.

In the official example stated in below link, we use context(Susan Huntington Dickinson can't be written) and grammar (SV disagreement and which can't refer to people) to allow which to refer to Noun + Prep phrase

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/emily-dickin ... 10142.html

Hi Skywalker18!

Happy to help :-)

The usage of "including" without a preceding comma is typically ambiguous, and therefore usually grammatically incorrect (as in the case here). Since "including" (when it is acting as a modifier) is a non-restrictive modifier, it should always be preceded by a comma. You can read more about that here: That vs. Which on the GMAT

In option A, without context it would be ambiguous as to what exactly "including" is modifying. Since "of actors" is really modifying "generations", we could interpret this as "generations" with two modifiers ("of actors", "including..."), or we could interpret the "including..." as modifying "actors" only. Grammatical rules don't strictly tell us which one it is. However, you're definitely right that from the context here, "Marlon Brando" and "Robert De Niro" tell us that "including..." is modifying "actors", not "generations". If everything else about the sentence were correct, choice (A) could be considered correct (although maybe not as clear as we'd like). However, as I mentioned before, it is incorrect to see "including" here without a comma before it. So that, plus the issue with "who" following "American theater", leads us to eliminate (A).

I hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Hi MagooshExpert Carolyn ,
Thanks for your help :-)

Who illogically refers to American theater, but can't who refer to the phrase "one of the most influential artists in the American theater" since who can only modify people and American theater isn't a person ?

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including ---

In the official example stated in below link, we use context(Susan Huntington Dickinson can't be written) and grammar (SV disagreement and which can't refer to people) to allow which to refer to Noun + Prep phrase

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Hi MagooshExpert Carolyn ,
Thanks for your help :-)

Who illogically refers to American theater, but can't who refer to the phrase "one of the most influential artists in the American theater" since who can only modify people and American theater isn't a person ?

Hi Skywalker18,

This is a bit less clear, because the "who" here could be referring to "influential artists in the American theater". This would be a more logical interpretation, from the structure of the sentence, than assuming that "who" is referring to "Stella Adler". It's definitely theoretically possible that those "influential artists" are the ones who "trained several generations of artists". And "trained" is a correct verb tense for either "Stella" or "artists". So here, the "who" is in fact ambiguous, even considering the context. You are correct that we can make certain inferences from the context, but when there are multiple logical references for a pronoun, there is still ambiguity.

I hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh egmat AjiteshArun DmitryFarber MagooshExpert

In option C what actually generations of actors whose ranks included mean ?
In option if include was in past tense as:
generations of actors who included . Will it be correct ? If not what's wrong in the modifier please brief
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MagooshExpert DmitryFarber
"comma+verbing" modify preceding action or present the result
for eg : I went to my school,riding my bicycle >> doer = I. action = went . modifier modifying action by telling us how I went.

How is "training" modifying "was influential" ??
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't see a reason for "who trained" to skip over the modifier "in the American theater" to modify "artists," but since neither choice makes sense, we can cross this out without worrying about it. Now if we had something like "It was Stella Adler of the New York Theater Company who trained a generation . . . " we might be able to make that work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

While you all got to the write answer here, there are a lot of mistakes made in the explanations that I'd like to correct.

49. As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro.

The category of this question is MODIFIERS, which are responsible for almost every error. We can recognize this simply by reading the original sentence. First, it starts with a prepositional modifier (as an actress...), and then we'd notice the "who trained", which is a modifier opened with a relative pronoun. The most important rule to remember for modifiers is that noun modifiers need to touch the thing they're modifying.

a.Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
PROBLEM: The first modifier is correct ("As an actress..." is touching "Stella Adler"). Unfortunately, the second modifier is incorrect. "Who trained several..." should be touching Stella Adler as well. Instead it's modifying "American theater", which doesn't make any sense.

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
PROBLEM: The problem here is two-fold. First of all, our modifier gets odd here. If you take out the middle man "one of the most...", we end up with a sentence saying that "As an actress and a teacher of acting, Stella Adler trained several generations of actors." That doesn't make any sense. She only taught people as a teacher, not as an actress. Also, the "who include" is modifying incorrectly here.

Think about this sample sentence, "I have a lot of friends who include Dave and Jim." It sounds like my friends are including Dave and Jim (when they hang out together), rather than that Dave and Jim are two of my many friends.

c. Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors, whose ranks included
ANSWER: This fixes both problems I discussed in B.

d. One of the most influential artist in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
PROBLEM: First, the opening modifier "As an actress" needs to be modifying Stella Adler, but now it's modifying "one of the most influential artists...". The "including" is also problematic, like "include" in b.

e. One of the most influential artist in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
PROBLEM: Same as above in terms of modifier. Also makes the "trained" mistake that B made. The loss of the comma creates a lack of clarity, but NOT a run-on sentence (that's when you have independent clauses without a period or semicolon to separate them).

Hope that helps!

-tommy

I just don't understand your explanation for b and e regarding the modifier. If a person cannot train generations of actors as an actress, then how can a person be an artist as a teacher of acting? If we interpret it as a mismatch of meaning between the modifier at the start and the main clause, then either way the sentence is screwed.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
viptest There is a difference. In her capacity as an actress, she didn't train anyone. However, her influence as an artist was through both her work and her teaching.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including

The first issue is that the phrase beginning with "who" is right next to "the American theater", and that doesn't really make sense. "The American theater" isn't a person, and it didn't train generations of actors. Sure, you could maybe argue that "who trained several generations of actors..." reaches back to modify the entire phrase "one of the most influential artists in the American theater", but that's far messier than just modifying "Stella Adler", who is actually the one who trained the actors. We can argue about whether this is definitively WRONG, but at the very least, we can do better than this.

The second issue is that "including" seems to modify "several generations of actors", and that doesn't really make sense: Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are examples of actors, not "generations of actors." It's subtle -- and probably not the worst error we've ever seen on a GMAT SC question -- but it makes (A) worse than at least one of the alternatives below.

So we can get rid of (A).

Quote:
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include

There's still a minor problem with the very last part of the underlined portion: "several generations of actors who include Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro" sounds OK, because those two fellows are examples of actors, but then why are we saying "generations of actors"? Brando and De Niro are examples of actors, not "generations of actors." And there's another problem: "include" is present tense, and it's hard to justify the use of present tense here when the other action related to the actors occurred in the past tense ("trained").

And if you aren't completely sold by that last paragraph, there's something else at the beginning of the sentence: "as an actress... Stella Adler... trained several generations of actors." No, she only "trained generations of actors" as a "teacher of acting" -- not "as an actress." Subtle and nasty. But (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included

That opening modifier makes sense now: "as an actress and... as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists..." Cool, that's great. The modifier "training several generations of actors..." also makes sense: it modifies the previous clause, telling us more about Stella Adler and her life as "one of the most influential artists in the American theater.

Superficially, that last part of the underlined portion looks wordy: "several generations of actors whose ranks included..." But adding the phrase "whose ranks included" actually makes the phrase clearer than in (A) or (B): Brando and De Niro were among the ranks of those generations of actors. Fair enough.

So we can keep (C).

Quote:
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including

The underlined portion is preceded by "as an actress and... as a teacher of acting", a phrase that really needs to modify "Stella Adler." It's ridiculously indirect for that phrase to modify "one of the most influential artists in the American theater." So (D) is much less clear than (C) in that part of the sentence.

Plus, we have the same minor issue with the phrase "generations of actors including..." as we did in (A). See above for more on that issue.

So (D) is gone.

Quote:
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

(E) has the same problem as (D): the beginning of the sentence needs to modify "Stella Adler." More broadly, "Stella Adler" really needs to be the subject of the sentence, since she's the one that trained the generations of actors -- and it's an indirect mess to use "one of the most influential artists..." as the subject of the sentence.

So (E) is out, and (C) is the best option.

As "who" is the subject of the second clause, can it refer back to the subject of the previous clause?? i.e. 'Stella Adler'
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
venkivety wrote:
As "who" is the subject of the second clause, can it refer back to the subject of the previous clause?? i.e. 'Stella Adler'

I assume you're asking about choice (A):

Quote:
(A) As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

If we wanted to modify Stella Adler with "who trained...", then we'd have to put the "who" clause much closer to "Stella Adler". For example: "... Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors...".

The placement of the "who" clause in choice (A) leads us to believe that it modifies "American theater" or maybe "one of the most influential artists". The "who" clause would have to jump over both of those options in order to modify "Stella", and that would make the meaning pretty darned unclear.

Choice (C) avoids this problem entirely, so it's a much better option.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
venkivety wrote:

Quote:
(A) As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

If we wanted to modify Stella Adler with "who trained...", then we'd have to put the "who" clause much closer to "Stella Adler". For example: "... Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors...".

The placement of the "who" clause in choice (A) leads us to believe that it modifies "American theater" or maybe "one of the most influential artists". The "who" clause would have to jump over both of those options in order to modify "Stella", and that would make the meaning pretty darned unclear.

I hope that helps!

thanq for ur reply and yes, i'm referring to Choice A.

But in one of your video classes, you taught that the subject in the second clause refers back to the subject in the first clause.
(While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for home owners, whose equity..... first is the dependent clause and another is the independent clause)
that's the idea of asking the question..
thanq

Originally posted by venkivety on 22 Jan 2020, 21:46.
Last edited by venkivety on 26 Jan 2020, 01:28, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
venkivety wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
venkivety wrote:

Quote:

I hope that helps!

thanq for ur reply..
yes, i'm referring to Choice A..

But in one your video classes, you taught that the subject in the second clause refers back to the subject in the first clause.
that's the idea..
thanq

The distinction here is between using a modifier, such as "who," as the subject of a clause, and using a traditional pronoun, such as "he." A modifier needs to be reasonably close to what it describes, but we have more flexibility when dealing with a pronoun.

For example:

Tim, who has not attended medical school but has watched many YouTube videos describing the details of the procedure, should not be permitted to perform appendectomies on small children.

Here, "who" is describing "Tim" and so should be reasonably close to what it modifies. If we moved the "who" modifier to the end of the sentence, after "small children," it would give us the following:

Tim should not be permitted to perform appendectomies on small children, who has not attended medical school but has watched many YouTube videos describing the details of the procedure.

Now it seems as though the "who" modifier is being used to describe the children, but contains a subject-verb agreement error. (Children... has?!) At the very least, it's confusing. Not good.

Contrast this example with one in which we use a pronoun, rather than a modifier as the subject of the second clause.

Tim should not be allowed to perform appendectomies on small children because he has not been to medical school.

Now, "he" is a pronoun serving as the subject of the second clause, and the most logical place to look for the referent would be the subject of the previous clause, "Tim." This makes sense - Tim is performing both actions. So this is fine.

Takeaway: the convention - not rule - of a subject pronoun referring to the subject of the previous clause applies only to traditional pronouns, but not to modifiers, such as a phrase beginning with "who."

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included

That opening modifier makes sense now: "as an actress and... as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists..." Cool, that's great. The modifier "training several generations of actors..." also makes sense: it modifies the previous clause, telling us more about Stella Adler and her life as "one of the most influential artists in the American theater.

Superficially, that last part of the underlined portion looks wordy: "several generations of actors whose ranks included..." But adding the phrase "whose ranks included" actually makes the phrase clearer than in (A) or (B): Brando and De Niro were among the ranks of those generations of actors. Fair enough.

So we can keep (C).

GMATNinja I was wondering if C is ok in terms of meaning? Because one can read it "Stella .. was ... an influential artist..., training several people ..."

And this feels like being an influential artist CAUSED her to train people.

as in "Joe played football carelessly, injuring his foot"

I admit the other options are weaker choices and C is still the best, but does it have the error I noticed or not?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts