It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: strengthen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 04:40
thanks tuanquang269,

can u explain me whats wrong with b?
B is also strengthening that Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 263

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2012, 08:51
Nice pissing contest--nothing like a Kaplan-Manhattan showdown :D
_________________

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 14:33
At the end of the turf war, obviously, who was the loser. "I've heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the LOSER, and I think this is another example."

GMAT 800?

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2012, 15:45
I’m completely surprised that some of so-called GMAT “experts” confused “assumption” question with “strengthen” one and “strengthen” with “strengthen_except” one. Much more desponded is what the attitudes they had towards the confusion.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 388

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 82

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2012, 01:20
nice debate..!!.. i must say thats realy good for all who prep for gmat ..

but i agree ..this question is weird.. B and E.. confused me too.. but i wil go with B..could understand how can E b rite??
_________________

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 82

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10145

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 12:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 74

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 11

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2014, 14:59
I find option (e) very ambiguous. Though it tells how the chairperson be and what are the qualities desired for this post, in no way the option tells the person is Grayson. The crux of the question asked is to prove the point how Grayson is the requisite choice and not what are the qualities required from a person of this post. Also, passage never says that Grayson has an understanding of the needs and problems of labor. He may not have these qualities (a reasonable assumption), then how can this option strengthen the point that Grayson is a requisite choice.
But option (b) says that Grayson developed good relations with business leaders. We actually require a chairperson of the new council on business-labor relations i.e. we want someone to have good relations with business people. This is what (b) is doing. So, I guess option (b) is a perfect answer for this question.
Please if any expert can correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance!!!

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 11

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 899

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 21:57
Sukant2010 wrote:
I find option (e) very ambiguous. Though it tells how the chairperson be and what are the qualities desired for this post, in no way the option tells the person is Grayson. The crux of the question asked is to prove the point how Grayson is the requisite choice and not what are the qualities required from a person of this post. Also, passage never says that Grayson has an understanding of the needs and problems of labor. He may not have these qualities (a reasonable assumption), then how can this option strengthen the point that Grayson is a requisite choice.
But option (b) says that Grayson developed good relations with business leaders. We actually require a chairperson of the new council on business-labor relations i.e. we want someone to have good relations with business people. This is what (b) is doing. So, I guess option (b) is a perfect answer for this question.
Please if any expert can correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance!!!


(B).During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.

May be his tenure was of 20 years of which he worked as a labor leader for only 2 years and for 18 years he worked as a labor organizer in which he didn't have good business relations.

On the other hand

(E).An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Grayson is an excellent labor organizer.

What can you infer by the term labor organizer? One who can organize labor when a decision has to be taken or some other reasons. And when the labor will listen you

(1).When you lead them
(2). and they will continue to listen you as a leader when you understand their needs and problems.

Hence (E) is best answer among the options !
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2014
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Schools: NTU '17, AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 01:58
TGC wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
I find option (e) very ambiguous. Though it tells how the chairperson be and what are the qualities desired for this post, in no way the option tells the person is Grayson. The crux of the question asked is to prove the point how Grayson is the requisite choice and not what are the qualities required from a person of this post. Also, passage never says that Grayson has an understanding of the needs and problems of labor. He may not have these qualities (a reasonable assumption), then how can this option strengthen the point that Grayson is a requisite choice.
But option (b) says that Grayson developed good relations with business leaders. We actually require a chairperson of the new council on business-labor relations i.e. we want someone to have good relations with business people. This is what (b) is doing. So, I guess option (b) is a perfect answer for this question.
Please if any expert can correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance!!!


(B).During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.

May be his tenure was of 20 years of which he worked as a labor leader for only 2 years and for 18 years he worked as a labor organizer in which he didn't have good business relations.

On the other hand

(E).An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Grayson is an excellent labor organizer.

What can you infer by the term labor organizer? One who can organize labor when a decision has to be taken or some other reasons. And when the labor will listen you

(1).When you lead them
(2). and they will continue to listen you as a leader when you understand their needs and problems.

Hence (E) is best answer among the options !


But why Grayson then ? anyone can take his place. But B is balancing the scales. On one hand his prowess with handling labor relations is emphasized in the Premise. But if we were to buttress it then his good relations with business leaders makes him an apt choice to act as the bridge in between Business leaders and labors. Correct me if i am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 899

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 06:42
mayank760 wrote:

But why Grayson then ? anyone can take his place. But B is balancing the scales. On one hand his prowess with handling labor relations is emphasized in the Premise. But if we were to buttress it then his good relations with business leaders makes him an apt choice to act as the bridge in between Business leaders and labors. Correct me if i am wrong.


Anyone is out of scope.

The method of answering a strengthen question is that you pack the stimulus with the answer options and see if the answer option strengthens it.

So when you put (E). as an additional premise , you would see it as a strengthener for the stated reasons in my previous post.

Rgds,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10145

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 21:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 05:05
Hi All
Need help with this one. All the answer keys indicate E as an answer. Can someone pl explain...

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3097

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 327

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 12:33
saumyatripathi68 wrote:
Hi All
Need help with this one. All the answer keys indicate E as an answer. Can someone pl explain...

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.


saumyatripathi68 ,

Welcome to GMATCLUB, please find detailed discussion on this question here : as-an-experienced-labor-organizer-and-the-former-head-of-one-69478.html#p512428

Abhishek
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 327

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10145

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 00:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 807

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 09:23
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 09:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 75 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.