GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 03:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (00:52) correct 45% (01:12) wrong based on 186 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quarter of the year will probably not depend on the amount of available federal funding for financial organizations but is more than likely determined by the impact of the recent oil crisis on the global market.

(A) is more than likely

(B) more than likely to be

(C) more than likely will be

(D) it is more than likely

(E) it is more than likely that it be

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 08:58
As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quarter of the year will probably not depend on the amount of available federal funding for financial organizations but is more than likely determined by the impact of the recent oil crisis on the global market.

(A) is more than likely

(B) more than likely to be

(C) more than likely will be

(D) it is more than likely

(E) it is more than likely that it be

Split #1: Using it would introduce a second noun, which isn't required here. It's clear that that "economy's stability" is the subject and that we don't require another pronoun in the form of "it". Therefore, we can preclude D) and E).

Decision #2: This choice is mainly about tenses. In the first part of the sentence we find "will not depend on [...], but". Our construction should be parallel to this clause. Answer C) does exactly that as "more than likely will be" maintains parallelism to the first construction. Thus, C) the correct choice. A) is incorrect because of the present tense and B) is incorrect because of the lack of a verb ("to be" is an infinitive and not a verb).

Hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 07:08
OE by egmat

Meaning Analysis

This sentence tells us the analysts have made a prediction about the economy’s stability in the third quarter of the year. As per this prediction, we get to know two things about this stability:
1) It will probably not depend on the amount of the federal funding that is available for financial organizations.
2) And it is more than likely that this stability will be decided by the impact of the recent oil crisis on the global market.

Error Analysis

The simple present tense “is determined” is incorrect to make a future prediction.
Quote:
A) is more than likely

Incorrect:
This choice has the error found in the error analysis.
Quote:
B) more than likely to be

Incorrect:
The verb “will not depend” is not parallel to the phrase “more than likely to be”. Since “but” presents two contrasting items, these should be stated using parallel entities.
Quote:
C) more than likely will be

Correct:
This choice uses the correct verb tense i.e. the simple future tense to present a prediction for the future.
Quote:
D) it is more than likely

Incorrect:
1) This choice joins two independent clauses using just a connector “but”. This is incorrect since we need either “comma + FANBOYS” or a semicolon to join two ICs.
2) It has the same verb tense error as in choice A

Note that there is no error in the use of the pronoun “it”. It correctly refers to “the economy’s stability,” the subject of the previous clause.
Quote:
E) it is more than likely that it be

Incorrect:
1) This choice has the same sentence structure error as in choice D.

There are two uses of the pronoun “it” in this choice. Note that unlike Choice D, this choice uses the first “it” as a placeholder pronoun and the second “it” to refer to the noun “the economy’s stability.” There is no error in pronoun usage. However, the dependent clause “that it be determined” incorrectly uses the subjunctive verb form. There is no word in the sentence that requires the use of the subjunctive form. As noted above, the verb “determined” should be written in the simple future tense to correctly represent the intended meaning of the sentence.

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 07:08

As analysts have predicted, the economy’s stability in the third quart

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap