It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 11:04
Top Contributor
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

This is supposed to be choice A, the OA.

Let me now rephrase it for easy understanding by flipping the subject and verb.

1. As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves are not only able to divert cash from company bank accounts,
2. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

The question is about the structure of this sentence. Isn't part 1 a complex sentence with a dependent clause and an independent clause?
2. For all that, part 2 seems to be an IC. Therefore, the whole scheme is that this is a complex- compound sentence with two ICs. Eventually when there are two ICs, then there should a valid conjunction or punctuation such as semi colon or period to conjugate both the ICs. If a comma alone conjugates both, then it will turn out to be a comma splice.

Is my reasoning missing something n error or does this sentence belong to some other type of sentence structure that I haven't known.

P.S:It has been pointed out that GMAC spends anywhere from $1500 to $3000 on each of these questions. Therefore, I feel strongly that I must be wrong.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1622 [1], given: 404

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Daagh, you're bringing this to a whole new level of grammar intensity! Always fun. (And yes, apparently I'm a grammar nerd or something. I guess it says that in my job title...?)

Disclaimer: unless you really love grammar, just stop reading right now. This isn't an important rant for most test-takers -- there are dozens (hundreds?) of far more important things to worry about on the GMAT.

OK, so answer choice (A) has three components:

Quote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated

So component #1 is clearly a dependent clause. On to #2:

Quote:
not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts

Ah, here it is: this can't stand alone as a sentence, either. Sure, it doesn't have a standard "marker" that "turns" an independent clause into a dependent clause (although, but, and, because, etc.), but it's still a dependent clause: it has a subject and a verb, but can't stand alone -- at least not the way it's written in (A).

So we have two dependent clauses so far. On to part #3:

Quote:
they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

And there's our independent clause. So we don't have a comma splice here, and GMAC didn't actually make a mistake in this case -- it's just that the middle clause is super-sneaky.

I hope this helps! And seriously: if you're not daagh and you didn't follow this explanation, please don't worry about it. Again, parallelism and other issues are way more important here.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1622 [1], given: 404

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 02:22
can I take a lesion as the following:

if we use full form "not only... but also", the parallelism is required.

if we use only "not only" and cut off "but, also" or both, the parallelism is not required

is that right?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
GMATNinja,
Hi
Welcome and best wishes. Thanks for the response
Yes true! In GMAT, I agree we should not too bother about such flexible things as sentence structure, correlatives etc as much as we would do with the broader things such as list parallelism, verb parallelism or modifications etc to name a few. It also seems to be a trick that the entire attention has been diverted to the use of a popular idiom, while the real errors have been obscured though not deliberately in the incorrect choices. Test takers must be wary of this not so uncommon ploy.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7934 [1], given: 364

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 05:15
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 232

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 13:16
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to
divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business
development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to
competitors.

Notice the construction “Not Only + Subject (thieves)….” So the other part of the sentence shall also have a Subject + Verb to make both the parts parallel…

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product
specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
Correct as it is…

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product
specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
Last part of the sentence “, and selling” this gives and impression that “thieves can pilfer …..and selling” as apparent even these two things are part of the parallel items of the list, pilfer and selling are NOT parallel at all …

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product
specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
Subject is missing. As explained above , the construction is “Not Only + Subject (thieves)….” So the other part of the sentence shall also have a Subject + Verb to make both the parts parallel

Had the “thieves” been outside of the “not only” structure …this would have been better…

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product
specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
Same issue as C

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product
specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling
Same issue as C

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 329

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 09:36
look at the problem simply

not only... but also require paralelism

not only .. also dose not require paralelism

these are two patterns quite different . that is all . simple.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 329

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 10:38
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, Thieves are able to not only divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.

Is this modified sentence correct ?

Experts pls help.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 02:14
rishabhdxt wrote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, Thieves are able to not only divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.

Is this modified sentence correct ?

Experts pls help.

Hello rishabhdxt,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The modified version of the sentence is grammatically correct. However, it does not present the same meaning as the original sentence does.

The original sentence says that the thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts. But the sentence presents just possibility of other actions mentioned as they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and (can) sell the data to competitors.

Use of can in the original sentence presents possibility of an action while the modified sentence presented by you presents actions that take place for sure. This change does lead to change in the meaning of the original sentence.

I understand that our first instinct is to look for but also Y whenever we see not only X, especially when it appears in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.

But the structure of the not only X portion in this official sentence is such that writing the remaining information in but also Y manner will be difficult.

So here we get to learn a new usage from this official sentence. In certain cases, not only X can be used just by itself if the structure of the sentence demands so.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 201

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 08:54
GMATNinja egmat

What is wrong in (D) that we selected (A) ?

With due respect to chetan2u I think we can assume subject as (they) in D to link with verb - pilfer.

Let me know your views.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 201

Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 08:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap