Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [32]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM
Re: As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
MartyMurray great question.. I nailed it .But could you please post the OE ? I want to check my reasoning

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of cocoa solids, the darker, more flavorful parts of the cocoa mass.

(A) As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of

This choices illogical compares how "ordinary chocolate is with that white chocolate contains.

(B) Like the way in which “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is made, the way in which white chocolate is made is similar to it, except in that there is no use of

This choice illogically states that both the way in which "ordinary" chocolate is made and the way in which white chocolate is made are similar to some unknown "it". The pronoun 'it" could refer to '"ordinary" chocolate,' but then the sentence would illogically compare the way in which white chocolate is made with "ordinary" chocolate. Also, this version says that there is no use of cocoa solids without quite making clear in what there is no use of cocoa solids.

(C) Just as they are in “ordinary chocolate,” which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, the ingredients used in making white chocolate are mostly the same, the difference being the

This choice seems to be meant to say that the ingredients in one kind of chocolate are the same for the most part as the ingredients in the other, but actually, it conveys the illogical meaning that the ingredients in both "ordinary" chocolate and white chocolate are "mostly the same" as something, without indicating what they are the same as. Given that meaning, the part that says "the difference being the cocoa solids" just adds more nonsense to an already nonsensical sentence.

(D) Used in the making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, but not included among the ingredients of white chocolate are

This choice sounds funny at first, but when we combine it with the non-underlined portion, we get a sentence that clearly conveys the logical meaning that the cocoa solids are used in the making of "ordinary" chocolate but are not included among the ingredients of white chocolate.

Notice, this choice is correct but written to look incorrect, as is typical of many correct answers in SC questions.

(E) The making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is like white chocolate, and contains most of the same ingredients, containing also

This choice illogically compares the making of "ordinary chocolate with white chocolate itself. Also, this version conveys the illogical meaning that the making of ordinary chocolate contains cocoa solids.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
A compares ‘ordinary chocolate’ with the fact that white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients.
In B ‘it’ is very ambiguous.
C is very hard to catch. C seems like its trying to say that the ingredients in both the types of chocolates are mostly the same but what it actually ends up saying is that both are mostly same to some implied, unknown, third set. Not the right meaning and not the right option.
E compares the process of making the chocolate to the chocolate itself.

D sounds very weird but is ultimately the most fitting choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Edited A and B to address possible issues.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Thanks for the question :-)

What's the subject in the correct choice?
IMHO,Used... but not included... are modifier
the main verb is "are"
Send PM
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:

the main verb is "are"

I believe that by looking in the non underlined portion of the sentence you will find the subject of the correct version of the sentence.
Send PM
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
sleepynut wrote:

the main verb is "are"

I believe that by looking in the non underlined portion of the sentence you will find the subject of the correct version of the sentence.

Ohhh.. sorry I'm not used to the inverted construction. :( :|
It should be cocoa solids

Thanks

That inverted construction is an example of how the GMAT can throw you a curve ball. GMAT SC can be like a pitcher, throwing you various types of pitches, keeping you off balance. Just when you think that you have the sentence figured out, the construction of the OA turns out to be different from what you expected to see.

So you have to be very diligent in finding errors in order to eliminated the flawed choices while remaining open minded about how the right answer will look. If you don't get what's going on in a question, keep looking for something logical.

Of course, had I actually left the subject out of the OA, you would have just driven yourself crazy, as I sometimes do to myself when presented with a flawed question, going into beast mode, looking and looking for logic where there is none. :shock:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MartyMurray great question.. I nailed it .But could you please post the OE ? I want to check my reasoning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:

As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of cocoa solids, the darker, more flavorful parts of the cocoa mass.

(A) As is “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, white chocolate contains most of the same ingredients, with the exception of

This choices illogical compares how "ordinary chocolate is with that white chocolate contains.

(B) Like the way in which “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is made, the way in which white chocolate is made is similar to it, except in that there is no use of

This choice illogically states that both the way in which "ordinary" chocolate is made and the way in which white chocolate is made are similar to some unknown "it". The pronoun 'it" could refer to '"ordinary" chocolate,' but then the sentence would illogically compare the way in which white chocolate is made with "ordinary" chocolate. Also, this version says that there is no use of cocoa solids without quite making clear in what there is no use of cocoa solids.

(C) Just as they are in “ordinary chocolate,” which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, the ingredients used in making white chocolate are mostly the same, the difference being the

This choice seems to be meant to say that the ingredients in one kind of chocolate are the same for the most part as the ingredients in the other, but actually, it conveys the illogical meaning that the ingredients in both "ordinary" chocolate and white chocolate are "mostly the same" as something, without indicating what they are the same as. Given that meaning, the part that says "the difference being the cocoa solids" just adds more nonsense to an already nonsensical sentence.

(D) Used in the making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, but not included among the ingredients of white chocolate are

This choice sounds funny at first, but when we combine it with the non-underlined portion, we get a sentence that clearly conveys the logical meaning that the cocoa solids are used in the making of "ordinary" chocolate but are not included among the ingredients of white chocolate.

Notice, this choice is correct but written to look incorrect, as is typical of many correct answers in SC questions.

(E) The making of “ordinary” chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or dark and bitter, is like white chocolate, and contains most of the same ingredients, containing also

This choice illogically compares the making of "ordinary chocolate with white chocolate itself. Also, this version conveys the illogical meaning that the making of ordinary chocolate contains cocoa solids.

Marty, would A have been acceptable if they used "does" instead of "is"? From what I understand do/does can stand in place for any verb when looking at parallelism.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Is the source of the question OG ? Thank

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: As is ordinary chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As is ordinary chocolate, which can be soft and sweet or [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts