Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [66]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [44]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [21]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Expert,

Please clarify to me.

Although I correctly marked E, I have doubt whether we can go too far by stating that the disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve.....

Just because the passage made analogy that " fire department would find water more effectively - that is disinformation campaigns are less effective, can we say that disinformation campaigns are "not" effective.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo [#permalink]
Kudos
Could you please walk through the reasoning? Any additional advice when tackling ???conclusion??? Qs...?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo [#permalink]
Kudos
vinayakvaish wrote:
The argument revolves around the effectiveness of an adopted strategy.

A- This may be true in the real world but has nowhere been mentioned- rule this out
B- Again no mention of morality in the argument- Out
C- The author does does not acknowledge any short term gain- Out
D- Not mentioned- Out
E- Precisely what we are looking for. Disinformation campaigns are not an effective way- Correct

Hit Kudos if this helped you!

Thanks for your explanation. Don't you think the author is more on a judgemental tone here about one of the strategies used by USA. Nothing has been mentioned about effectively using this or any other strategy and hence A has a slight edge over E .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo [#permalink]
In the stimulus,the apologists consider lying is necessary to counter disinformation campaign. The author points out that water is more effective than fire to deal with fire.That means, lying is not effective to counter disinformation campaign!

option E repeats the same thing!So,E is the answer!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
Send PM
singhkniraj wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:

A- This may be true in the real world but has nowhere been mentioned- rule this out
D- Not mentioned- Out
E- Precisely what we are looking for. Disinformation campaigns are not an effective way- Correct

Thanks for your explanation. Don't you think the author is more on a judgemental tone here about one of the strategies used by USA. Nothing has been mentioned about effectively using this or any other strategy and hence A has a slight edge over E .

singhkniraj
Option A states "although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds". Here we are asked to summarize. The passage does not mention if the US disinformation campaign's outcome in terms of effectiveness. Also the author only argues about the correctness of the approach not ethical grounds. For these reasons E is a better option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 702
Send PM
vinayakvaish wrote:

D- Not mentioned- Out

I think that author is more interested in suggesting alternate ways like water instead of fire. Also the author is distressed on using the approach of disinformation campaigns. So IMO E is not inferred like the effectiveness of serving the political purposes. Option A could be correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of “disinformation” campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America’s political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

The author’s main point is that

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds ( Ethical grounds is linked with the campaigns, however the author is only distressed by the way these journalists function)
(B) America’s moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth (not mentioned )
(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses (long term losses is not mentioned )
(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage America’s standing in Europe ( out of scope)
(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States (mentioned in the last sentence , fire with fire is less effective than fire with water, according to the author)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
singhkniraj wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:

D- Not mentioned- Out

A states that the disinformation campaign although effective is not ethically correct, but in the premise there is no point being made by the author that disinformation campaign is effective. Therefore A shouldn’t be the answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Hope you are doing well.

I would request you to explain this one to me as I fall for A on the basis of the line "As one who has always believed that truth our nation???s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes.

I would also request you to tell me if there is any specific strategy to answer these types of questions.

Many Thanks in advance.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapo [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jigar16496 wrote:
explanation please

Hello, jigar16496. As the first order of business, I would suggest not practicing upper-level material until you are answering Medium-level questions (by official designation) with at least 75-80 percent accuracy. Otherwise, you will more likely create a number of rules that seem inconsistent across different CR questions, and you may be missing some of the nuances that make certain answers correct in one case and incorrect in another. That said, I will offer a full breakdown below, since I see that no other Expert has chimed in so far.

Sentence one reveals that the author believes that truth is our nation's surest weapon in the propaganda war, and that this author finds certain American "disinformation" campaigns distressing.

Sentence two explains the purpose of such campaigns: to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own [interests]. Notice that I have added the implied interests to the end there. We will circle back to this point later.

Sentence three presents the position of those who defend [the practice of engaging in disinformation campaigns]. These proponents wish to prevent damage to America's political interests.

Sentence four drifts into idiomatic usage—fight fire with fire—an expression that means, roughly, to respond in the same manner. Proponents are also now called apologists, an advanced term that refers to those who defend a controversial position.

Sentence five is a witty remark that is meant as a counter to the views of the apologists. The author does not believe in fighting fire with fire when it comes to using disinformation campaigns.

Because of the last two sentences in particular, I would be surprised if this passage ever appeared on the GMAT™. But we are interested in following the thread of ideas, and now that we understand the passage map, we can consider the question and take on the answer choices.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 07.03.07.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 07.03.07.png [ 132.49 KiB | Viewed 5464 times ]

As you can see, I spent nearly 3 minutes breaking down the question before committing to an answer, and I did select (E). My timing had more to do with wanting to grasp the passage on a first read rather than looking to lean on the answer choices for guidance (a dangerous strategy in general).

Answer choice (A) fails because the author never describes an ethical compass by which to judge anything, not to mention that the passage never tells us anything about how effective disinformation campaigns may be. We know that some people use them, and we know what they are intended to do, but no related outcomes are discussed.

Answer choice (B) fails because the author is not concerned with America's moral standing, but with the propaganda war against [America's] foes and the manner in which the nation engages in such a war, either by telling the truth, as the author advocates, or by launching a disinformation campaign.

Answer choice (C) fails for the same reason we discussed above in our analysis of answer choice (A): the passage does not discuss actual political gains or losses, just intended outcomes. As such, we have no idea about the duration of any potential gains or losses.

Answer choice (D) fails because the author is not primarily concerned with Soviet disinformation campaigns, but with those that American intelligence agents have launched, presumably against the Soviets. Also, the passage does not discuss America's standing in Europe. We do not know how America stands in the eyes of European societies or governments.

Answer choice (E) is correct because it is clear that the author does not endorse the use of "disinformation" campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe, and the interests referred to in the passage in lines two and three can best be understood as one and the same: political interests (line three). Notice, too, the comparative more effective at the end of the passage. The reader seems to be meant to understand that water is analogous to the truth from the beginning of the passage, and the message is that truth, not disinformation campaigns, can more effectively sway the propaganda war in favor of America.

Perhaps the question makes more sense now. I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions anyone may have. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapo [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
jigar16496 wrote:
explanation please

Hello, jigar16496. As the first order of business, I would suggest not practicing upper-level material until you are answering Medium-level questions (by official designation) with at least 75-80 percent accuracy. Otherwise, you will more likely create a number of rules that seem inconsistent across different CR questions, and you may be missing some of the nuances that make certain answers correct in one case and incorrect in another. That said, I will offer a full breakdown below, since I see that no other Expert has chimed in so far.

Sentence one reveals that the author believes that truth is our nation's surest weapon in the propaganda war, and that this author finds certain American "disinformation" campaigns distressing.

Sentence two explains the purpose of such campaigns: to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own [interests]. Notice that I have added the implied interests to the end there. We will circle back to this point later.

Sentence three presents the position of those who defend [the practice of engaging in disinformation campaigns]. These proponents wish to prevent damage to America's political interests.

Sentence four drifts into idiomatic usage—fight fire with fire—an expression that means, roughly, to respond in the same manner. Proponents are also now called apologists, an advanced term that refers to those who defend a controversial position.

Sentence five is a witty remark that is meant as a counter to the views of the apologists. The author does not believe in fighting fire with fire when it comes to using disinformation campaigns.

Because of the last two sentences in particular, I would be surprised if this passage ever appeared on the GMAT™. But we are interested in following the thread of ideas, and now that we understand the passage map, we can consider the question and take on the answer choices.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 07.03.07.png

As you can see, I spent nearly 3 minutes breaking down the question before committing to an answer, and I did select (E). My timing had more to do with wanting to grasp the passage on a first read rather than looking to lean on the answer choices for guidance (a dangerous strategy in general).

Answer choice (A) fails because the author never describes an ethical compass by which to judge anything, not to mention that the passage never tells us anything about how effective disinformation campaigns may be. We know that some people use them, and we know what they are intended to do, but no related outcomes are discussed.

Answer choice (B) fails because the author is not concerned with America's moral standing, but with the propaganda war against [America's] foes and the manner in which the nation engages in such a war, either by telling the truth, as the author advocates, or by launching a disinformation campaign.

Answer choice (C) fails for the same reason we discussed above in our analysis of answer choice (A): the passage does not discuss actual political gains or losses, just intended outcomes. As such, we have no idea about the duration of any potential gains or losses.

Answer choice (D) fails because the author is not primarily concerned with Soviet disinformation campaigns, but with those that American intelligence agents have launched, presumably against the Soviets. Also, the passage does not discuss America's standing in Europe. We do not know how America stands in the eyes of European societies or governments.

Answer choice (E) is correct because it is clear that the author does not endorse the use of "disinformation" campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe, and the interests referred to in the passage in lines two and three can best be understood as one and the same: political interests (line three). Notice, too, the comparative more effective at the end of the passage. The reader seems to be meant to understand that water is analogous to the truth from the beginning of the passage, and the message is that truth, not disinformation campaigns, can more effectively sway the propaganda war in favor of America.

Perhaps the question makes more sense now. I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions anyone may have. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thank you Andrew for the detailed response on this.
I struggled really hard with this question and found all the answers to be equally wrong. My take on Option E was(and I could be very well wrong here) a little different. The argument says - "....finds water more effective.". this is not equal to "not effective". it could very well be that both are effective but the author's take is relatively better.

Although if I had to pick an answer from the lot, I would have chosen E, but for the reasons mentioned above, I feel it is not a truly intelligent selection on my part
Am I correct in my approach? Please help. thank you
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts