Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [2]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Send PM
Re: As opera becomes more popular in America the scarcity of theatres and [#permalink]

3) Look to the fourth paragraph for this information. The author argues that the term ―opera‖ in English does not connote the full experience of the theatrical work (as it does in Italian); choice (B) mirrors this.

(A): Faulty Use of Detail. This could possibly be inferred from the passage, but the author is not trying to make this point.

(B): The correct answer

(C): Faulty Use of Detail/Distortion. The author never goes so far as to limit the scope of the discussion to only two languages.

(D): Distortion. The author does not imply this, he is only saying that the way we think of opera is different.

(E): Extreme language
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V36
GPA: 3.22
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: As opera becomes more popular in America the scarcity of theatres and [#permalink]
What about Q2, did not catch the point of the answer
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [1]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Kudos
badly777 wrote:
What about Q2, did not catch the point of the answer

For these questions you need to have a good understanding of the passage. Here you are trying to eliminate 4 choices, and in this question type - have been mentioned in the passage in one form or the other. Let me point you to the right direction but paraphrasing parts of the passage..

A. Staging and acting are an integral part of the operatic work.
In a true opera the particular charm and power of the music does not come through without staging and acting, for gesture is an expression of feeling, and the decor and costumes summarize the external aspects, providing a vision of the whole action.

B. Some acting in a concert is better than no acting at all.

C. An opera is a much more involved production than is a concert.
Different aesthetic laws of governance apply to concert music and theatrical music, for they are incongruous worlds calling for an entirely different sort of imagination from both performers and audience. Opera is theatre, the most involved, elaborate, and exciting form of theatre.

D. Understanding the characters is essential to an appreciation of operatic music.
In a true opera the particular charm and power of the music does not come through without staging and acting, for gesture is an expression of feeling, and the decor and costumes summarize the external aspects, providing a vision of the whole action. Both are to a considerable degree determined by the music, but they also complement it.

E. Italy and Germany have small municipal theatres
It is not realized that the rich operatic culture of Italy and Germany is mainly due to their many small municipal theatres which alternate repertory theatre with opera.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Q2: Can't we infer option B from the last paragraph?

"Some may say that the end justifies the means. I can see merit in the concert performance of an opera which otherwise could not hope to be heard, or of one deficient in true theatrical qualities yet of genuine musical value."

Or is it the scope of the question i.e. the option is talking about acting as a whole and not restricted to opera?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Pilan619 wrote:
Q2: Can't we infer option B from the last paragraph?

"Some may say that the end justifies the means. I can see merit in the concert performance of an opera which otherwise could not hope to be heard, or of one deficient in true theatrical qualities yet of genuine musical value."

Or is it the scope of the question i.e. the option is talking about acting as a whole and not restricted to opera?

Hi Pilan619,

Sentence "Some may say that the end justifies the means. I can see merit in the concert performance of an opera which otherwise could not hope to be heard, or of one deficient in true theatrical qualities yet of genuine musical value." is incomplete on its own. We need to read the following sentences to understand the complete context:
"But neither Strauss, nor Bellini, nor Donizetti qualifies for such a role. Even if we forget the vital function of staging, it is practically impossible, for purely musical reasons, to present such a work on the concert platform."

Implying that author does not agree with Some acting in a concert is better than no acting at all, that is Option B.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
In question 3, why is option D incorrect? The 4th para states "...The Italian term “opera” is far more inclusive than its English interpretation, for it embraces not only the musical score but the whole theatre, “the work.” "
This implies Opera in English only considers musical store. But Italian considers it as musicial + whole theatre.

Option B: the term “opera” in English refers to only some part of the theatrical work.
I feel theatrical work is not considered in English. It is factually incorrect.

Now, option D states there is fundamental difference between English and Italian Opera. Which became the choice for me since its more accurate than B.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32909 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshayshukla1991 wrote:
In question 3, why is option D incorrect? The 4th para states "...The Italian term “opera” is far more inclusive than its English interpretation, for it embraces not only the musical score but the whole theatre, “the work.” "
This implies Opera in English only considers musical store. But Italian considers it as musicial + whole theatre.

Option B: the term “opera” in English refers to only some part of the theatrical work.
I feel theatrical work is not considered in English. It is factually incorrect.

Now, option D states there is fundamental difference between English and Italian Opera. Which became the choice for me since its more accurate than B.

Look to the fourth paragraph for this information. The author argues that the term ―opera in English does not connote the full experience of the theatrical work (as it does in Italian); choice (B) mirrors this.

While (D) is a distortion. The author does not imply this, he is only saying that the way we think of opera is different.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Q3 why i s D wrong since there are diff between American and Italian opera and also American opera has been considered to implement only music

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32909 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explained here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-opera-bec ... l#p2130213

MacT750 wrote:
Q3 why i s D wrong since there are diff between American and Italian opera and also American opera has been considered to implement only music

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13959 posts