Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US [#permalink]
Kudos
Let me try to explain this one.

The main passage implies that internal passports should be issued in order to restricts illegal immigrants. i.e. to make some sort of standardization for every immigrant. Now, lets try to correlate answer options.
A) Standardize the entrance examination for entrance exams.
B) Here as well standardization but does NOT make other hospitals to follow that stringently(as per the statement). This sentence has got some ambiguity.
C) Standardization of resale value for cars. But, it is not mandated also, there is no problem which they are trying to resolve.
D) Talks about standardization of lines. But, here there is no problem which they are trying to resolve.
E) Talks about standardizing for only one organization. There is nothing general here.

Hence, I picked A. Hope my reasoning is fair enough to get to the proper answer. Please comment if you have anything else to add to this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US [#permalink]
As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US government should institute a system of internal passports similar to those in European nations. Drivers’ licenses currently serve a kind of internal-passport function, but this system is severely limited because all states do not require the same documentation before issuing photo ID. Illegal workers can get a driver’s license in one state with lax regulations and use it as identification in another state with stricter regulations but better-paying jobs. Internal passports will keep illegal workers from slipping through the cracks by standardizing forms of photo ID.

Which of the following is most similar to the passage above in logical structure?

A National standardized college entrance exams replace exams written independently by test administration services affiliated with groups of universities.

Passage says that illegal immigrants are able to obtain DL in U.S. with lax regulation in certain states and these workers take better paying jobs elsewhere. Hence, an internal "passport" only for Americans will keep the illegal immigrants from moving and taking jobs.

Choice A says test created by groups of universities is not fair--less qualified students can take the spots of more qualified students ( US government says its not fair immigrants can take better paying jobs of Americans). Hence, standardized test will keep the less "qualified" students out and level the playing field for everyone. (Hence, internal passport will keep immigrants from moving to better paying jobs)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi,

Why not "D"??
We want to avoid a problem of manufacturing at local level and need to standardize the rails at National level.

Any flaw in the reasoning?

Please help me decipher it.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
honneeey wrote:
Hi,

Why not "D"??
We want to avoid a problem of manufacturing at local level and need to standardize the rails at National level.

Any flaw in the reasoning?

Please help me decipher it.

The logical equivalence between the passage and option A are as follows:
workers = examinees
illegal workers = examinees with lower aptitude
authorities issuing ID = universities
authorities issuing ID on lax regulations = universities giving degree on easy exam papers
illegal workers getting photo id from states with lax regulation = examinees with low aptitude getting degree from universities that set easy questions
illegal workers with photo IDs from states with lax regulations are considered at par in states with stricter regulations = examinees with low aptitude are considered at par with students who got degrees from universities which set difficult exam papers.

Now I would suggest that you try to set up such an equivalence between the passage and option D - you would realize why A is more similar to the passage than D is.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts