Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

A. whose access to water was less limited
B. where there was access to water that was less limited
C. where they had less limited water access
D. with less limitations on water access
E. having less limitations to water access

Before attempting this question, let’s interpret the meaning. As rainfall started decreasing and water availability turned less and less, the Anasazi decided to join other clans who were accustomed to more water access or availability. Here the double negative - less limited -means more available in terms of quantity. This is what text and choice A imply.

B also says the same essentially in an unacceptably wordy paraphrase. In addition, look at the relative pronoun, ‘where’ which is absurdly standing for the clans, as if clans are places. We should dump choice C also for the same reason and for not defining precisely whether the pronoun ‘they’ stands for the subject Anasazi or the proximate clans.

By referring to water access as a countable commodity and using the plural limitations, choices D and E foul the usage of the quantum comparative ‘less’, a term normally reserved for non- countable nouns. We may appreciate how smugly choice A uses ‘less limited’ to modify the singular noun ‘access’.

When we get something like 'limitation(S), then we should consider it as plural, and we have to use plural sign. But, in D and E, they used singular sign LESS, which is used in wrong way, isn't it?
Thanks...
N.B.: I got the answer of my previous question.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

OG16 SC108

So, what is the problem in C. C provides the same meaning like A to me. :)
Thanks Expert...

"Clans" is not a place - "where" is a wrong relative pronoun to refer to "clans".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38826 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Top Contributor
tejal777 wrote:

OG16 SC108

A. whose access to water was less limited ------>CORRECT
B. where there was access to water that was less limited ------->; here "where is not referring to an actual place
C. where they had less limited water access ------>; here "where is not referring to an actual place
D. with less limitations on water access -------->distorted the intended meaning;here seems "water access" may be imposed by another authority ,other than blessed by natural good effect(intended meaning)
E. having less limitations to water access -------->distorted the intended meaning;here seems "water access" may be imposed by another authority ,other than blessed by natural good effect(intended meaning)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
I do not see any problem with "having". A present participle modifier such as this one is alright and is used as an adjective (in this case for the noun "clan"). The problem with D and E is the awkward usage "water access". "Water access" may mean "access BY water" ( e.g. land access, water access etc.) and may not mean "access TO water".

Hi sayantanc2k
I like your explanation for having
i read one thread that "having" is incorrect ,
I broke this idea after your explanation.
but i am a little confused, please confirm
as long as "having" works as a participle and as an adjective, it is correct,
except this condition, "having" is incorrect, right?
did i miss something ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
I do not see any problem with "having". A present participle modifier such as this one is alright and is used as an adjective (in this case for the noun "clan"). The problem with D and E is the awkward usage "water access". "Water access" may mean "access BY water" ( e.g. land access, water access etc.) and may not mean "access TO water".

Hi sayantanc2k
I like your explanation for having
i read one thread that "having" is incorrect ,
I broke this idea after your explanation.
but i am a little confused, please confirm
as long as "having" works as a participle and as an adjective, it is correct,
except this condition, "having" is incorrect, right?
did i miss something ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Like all other verbs, "having" may also be used in the following forms:

Verb (progressive tense):
I am going to school.
I am having a pizza.

Gerund (noun):
Going to school is no fun.
Having a pizza is great fun.

All the above sentences are correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM

- "whose" correctly joins "other clans" to "access to water"

- "where" can only be used if there is a physical place that is being referenced -- not the case here

- same issue as "B"

- "limitations on" is unidiomatic as well as passive

- "having less" incorrectly modifies the entire phrase before. Also passive construction.

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM

Access to water is correct ; Whose correctly modifies 'clans'
Where modifies place ; here it changes the meaning : Incorrect
water access is wrong
Same as C
Same as C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A it is.

It's a good question.

Limitations - countable noun and hence usage of "less" is incorrect, correct usage is "few"

Where - is used to modify actual physical locations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
Send PM
In D, is the usage of with correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Let us first dissect the sentence
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, - This is the dependent clause
most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.
Their refers to the MVA.
Whose refers to the clans.
SV pair MVA abandoned.

(A) whose access to water was less limited
This is the correct choice.

(B) where there was access to water that was less limited
Clans where there was - is incorrect acess to water that was less limited is indirect.

(C) where they had less limited water access
Clans where – here where refers to the clans. They had – is incorrect usage of had.

(D) with less limitations on water access
This is indirect and hence incorrect

(E) having less limitations to water access
The use of having a present continuous tense is incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
isn't "less limited" redundant? The access to water was limited. We certainly do not say "access to water was more limited" So how does "less limited" make sense?

Here "limited" modifies "access" and makes it clear that there was a lack of access to water
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
isn't "less limited" redundant? The access to water was limited. We certainly do not say "access to water was more limited" So how does "less limited" make sense?

Here "limited" modifies "access" and makes it clear that there was a lack of access to water

Hello, Hoozan. In the context of the sentence, less limited is not redundant. There is a comparison drawn between two different Native American groups, the Monument Valley Anasazi and other clans (whether those were Anasazi clans or part of some other larger tribe). Less limited conveys that between these two groups, one had better access to water than the other, although both groups may have had to endure limited access to the resource. You could reinterpret the main clause in the following manner:

most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited than their own

Note that if you remove less, you destroy the comparison and fundamentally alter the meaning of the sentence:

most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was limited

This second sentence begs the question, Then why did the Monument Valley Anasazi join these other clans? That is, we understand from the part of the sentence I omitted that the Monument Valley Anasazi faced difficulties concerning water, but there is no compelling reason for them to have joined other clans who also had limited access to water. But if these clans had less limited access, then presumably they had enough water to share with the displaced Monument Valley Anasazi. There are other instances in which comparatives are used in front of similar words to make a point—less restricted, for example, which would suggest that rules are still in place, but perhaps not as strictly observed as before—but the only ones you can immediately disqualify, something that I have never seen on the GMAT™, are those with absolute words whose pairing creates a logical mismatch. An example I have seen from the GRE® is less invulnerable. There are no degrees of invulnerability: something is either invulnerable or not, in which case it is vulnerable.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1305
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I am still struggling with how limitations is a countable noun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GPA: 3.39
WE:Business Development (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
A) - Hold on to this choice as we can't find any error.
B) and C) - where is modifying clan (group). where is used to modify location.
D) and E) - less limitations (limitations is countable, so few can be used e.g few limitations)

So, we are left with A).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
deep31993 wrote:
I am still struggling with how limitations is a countable noun

Hey deep31993, it always helps to count and test although I agree that some rules and constructions may be difficult to digest. I always try to compare it with some sure shot uncountable nouns and see if they can be used interchangeably.

Eg -
A - There are several limitations on this contract.
B - How many?
A - About 1000.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 101
Page: 690

(A) whose access to water was less limited

(B) where there was access to water that was less limited

(C) where they had less limited water access

(D) with less limitations on water access

(E) having less limitations to water access

Hello Experts,
avigutman AnthonyRitz MartyTargetTestPrep

In Option C - usage of past perfect tense is correct ?

Event 1- Clans had less limited water access
Event 2 - Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans

In Option D - the usage of preposition with is correct ?

with modifies ?
a- clans with less limitations on water access
or
b-most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes with less limitations on water access

In Option E - usage of having is correct ? having is modifying clans ?

Thanks.
PS: I know there are other major errors in Options C ,D ,and E. I just want to understand the specific doubts mentioned above
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
PriyamRathor wrote:
In Option C - usage of past perfect tense is correct ?

What makes you think it’s past perfect, PriyamRathor?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts