It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 11:06
Chemerical71 wrote:
I got correct choice...But confused with choice C and D..can anyone please explain the choice C.

C changes the meaning of the sentence. Remember on GMAT, we should never change the intended meaning of the sentence unless the original meaning is not clear.

See my explanation for C here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-sources-o ... l#p1814070

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 235

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 18:22
Hi Gmatninja/ Gmatninja2,
Can you further elaborate why option D is incorrect on lines of narenn's solution.
Why is pronoun "it" incorrect in option B?
I think coma+verb-ing does present result of preceding action
What is difference between:
production is almost expected.. and
production is expected almost ..

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 235

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 06:39
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 199

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 13:14
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but
production is almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide enough electricity for
1.3 million households.

A. almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide
Placement of adjective “almost” is leading to a change in the meaning.
Intended meaning to say that the production is expected almost to double.. However, this sentence says that “the expectation is almost”
Also, the modifier clause “which …” illogically modifies “year” whereas the intended meaning is “the doubling of production would provide enough electricity …”

B. almost expected that it will double by the end of the year, thus providing
Same misplaced “almost” error
Also the usage of “that it will” is redundant

C. expected that it will almost double by the end of the year to provide
The usage of “that it will” is redundant

D. expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus to provide
Correct option

E. expected almost to double by the end of the year, which would thus be providing
the modifier clause “which …” illogically modifies “year” whereas the intended meaning is “the doubling of production would provide enough electricity …”

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 199

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1898 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:49
adkikani wrote:
Hi Gmatninja/ Gmatninja2,
Can you further elaborate why option D is incorrect on lines of narenn's solution.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. (D) is the correct answer!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1898 [0], given: 454

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 21:32
Here is my take.
a) Usage of almost is nonsensical. It is incorrectly modifying expected in this case- How can you almost expect something?
b) Same problem as above.
c) Option C reads as Production is expected that production will almost double( After you replace it with it's logical referent production). You'll realize that this sentence is a disaster.
d) No obvious errors.
e) Usage of which is wrong. Which can't refer to a clause. It can only be used as a noun modifier.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 05:30
Hello GMATNinja, daagh and other experts,

In option D, when we are considering parallelism, do we ignore "almost" and "thus" in the list? I eliminated D because I thought parallelism cannot fit here. The two things is the list are

1. Production is expected almost to double by the end of the year
2. Production is expected almost thus to provide enough electricity.....

I repeated "almost" because the first list started after "almost"

the #2 in the list doesn't make any sense at all. But upon reading other replies on this thread I found that others have ignored "almost" and "thus" . So do we need to exclude "adverbs" (I am assuming they are adverbs, i can't think of anything else:-( ) when we check for parallelism?

Please throw some light on this

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 09:46
Option D looks correct to me compare to others.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9296 [1], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, daagh and other experts,

In option D, when we are considering parallelism, do we ignore "almost" and "thus" in the list? I eliminated D because I thought parallelism cannot fit here. The two things is the list are

1. Production is expected almost to double by the end of the year
2. Production is expected almost thus to provide enough electricity.....

I repeated "almost" because the first list started after "almost"

the #2 in the list doesn't make any sense at all. But upon reading other replies on this thread I found that others have ignored "almost" and "thus" . So do we need to exclude "adverbs" (I am assuming they are adverbs, i can't think of anything else:-( ) when we check for parallelism?

Please throw some light on this

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

First of all, it is imperative to identify the correct parallel list.

Following is the sentence with the correct answer choice D:

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is expected
    almost to double by the end of the year and
    thus to provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.

The thing to understand here is that the words almost and thus are adverbs = action modifiers.

Hence, their presence before the core parallel entities to double and to provide does not affect the intended parallelism because the modifiers attached to the core parallel entities have no bearing on parallelism.

Hence, Choice D is perfectly parallel.

We do cover this point about modifiers of core parallel entities not affecting the parallel list in our concept named Parallelism: Helpful Tips.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9296 [1], given: 342

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 06:32
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.

(A) almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide - “almost” modifies “expected in the sentence. Logically, it should modify “double” since generally, expectedness doesn’t exist along a continuum whereas production does exist along a continuum ; “which” seems to modify either “year” or “end of the year”
(B) almost expected that it will double by the end of the year, thus providing - almost illogically modifies expected ;The construction “X is expected that X will do something” is not correct.
(C) expected that it will almost double by the end of the year to provide - The construction “X is expected that X will do something” is not correct.
(D) expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus to provide - Correct
(E) expected almost to double by the end of the year, which would thus be providing - “which” illogically refers to “year” or “end of the year”. Secondly, the use of progressive tense “be providing” is inappropriate here since this “providing” will happen after the production “doubles”.

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 06:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap