GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 23:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (00:39) correct 34% (00:41) wrong based on 221 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election bid, one hostile commentator who decried the President’s controversial war policies exclaimed: "If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also resign immediately." Ironically, this actually emboldened the President’s allies.

A. If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also resign immediately
B. If I were the President, I would be ashamed of myself and resign immediately
C. If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and resign immediately
D. If I were the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also would resign immediately
E. If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and would resign immediately

Comments: (Read only after attempting)
Pretty straight forward if you know the rules. Now I know the rules regarding Was/Were Subjunctive Mood and "Would" can be used with "If" in some cases

Source: Somewhere online
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 19:32
PureReason wrote:
As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election bid, one hostile commentator who decried the President’s controversial war policies exclaimed: "If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also resign immediately." Ironically, this actually emboldened the President’s allies.

A. If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also resign immediately
D. If I were the President, I would be ashamed of myself and also would resign immediately
E. If I was the President, I would be ashamed of myself and would resign immediately

Pretty straight forward if you know the rules. Now I know the rules regarding Was/Were Subjunctive Mood and "Would" can be used with "If" in some cases

Hi...

The usage of IF is in hypothetical situation and therefore subjunctive ....

In subjunctive cases, we use be/were instead of indicative forms is/are/was...

So WERE is correct...
Possible answers B or D..

In D, usage of AND and also is not correct.. you can omit would from second part after AND..

B is correct

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 23:35
The condition is doubtful or not factual then then it is in Subjective mood.

The subjunctive mood of the verb "to be" is "be" in the present tense and "were" in
the past tense, regardless of what the subject is.

This question shoes example of was/were.

Nice examples I found on http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000031.htm to understand use of Was/Were in subjective mood.

Incorrect: If I was you, I would run.
Correct: If I were you, I would run.
(The verb follows if and expresses a non-factual condition.)

Incorrect: I wish he was able to type faster.

Correct: I wish he were able to type faster.
(The second verb is in a clause following a verb expressing a wish. It also suggests a non-factual or doubtful condition.)
VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 01:01
PureReason wrote:

B. If I were the President, I would be ashamed of myself and resign immediately Correct

(B)

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Re: As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 01:01

As tensions rose in the days leading up to the President’s re-election

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap