GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 14:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 00:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:06) correct 54% (01:05) wrong based on 197 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball team, Jack Monroe can easily find great recommendation from any college professor.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

A- College baseball team members can easily get recommendations from professors.

B- During his final year, Jack Monroe was voted the most popular student on campus.

C- For students to receive a great recommendation from a college professor, the student is expected to have performed in academics as well as sports.

D- Most other baseball team members also maintain stellar academic performance.

E- Academic record and involvement in sports are the only qualifications to receive a great recommendation from a college professor.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 09:58
Can anyone explain the difference between C & E? It may be subtle perhaps?

I guess in the case of C:
C- For students to receive a great recommendation from a college professor, the student is expected to have performed in academics as well as sports.

The expectation is that they merely perform in said things

In E however:
E- Academic record and involvement in sports are the only qualifications to receive a great recommendation from a college professor.

It's having an academic record too. So someone has to be above average, and Jack is said to be the "topper" so he tops his classes, not just participates in them
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 17:27
aanjumz92 wrote:

The expectation is that they merely perform in said thingss

In E however:

It's having an academic record too. So someone has to be above average, and Jack is said to be the "topper" so he tops his classes, not just participates in them

I too selected C, but after re-reading many times, E makes sense. Because Jack was a popular member of basket ball sports team and there is no mention of of his performance in sports but in academics he is a topper.

So, according to C, based on my understanding, student should perform equally well on both sports and academics but according to argument, Jack was good in academics and a popular member in sport, not necessarily a good one. Therefore E.

I guess this explain might help you!!

If I am wrong please correct me
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 11:43
I think the key to this question lies in the boldfaced part below:
Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

Quote:
As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball team, Jack Monroe can easily find great recommendation from any college professor.

This gives a prerequisite for getting a great reco. Strengthens. KEEP.

This says the candidate CERTAINLY qualifies for the reco since he already meets the only two criteria required for a great reco. STRENGTHENS much more than C.

E wins over C.

Answer: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 07:10
aanjumz92 wrote:

The expectation is that they merely perform in said things

In E however:

i guess the difference between C and E is wording...you need a statement that is sufficient to fill the gap. let say there is a 3rd thing require for recommendations from professors. But E rule out this option, it says that these two things (academic record and sports) are the only things required.
On the other hand, C says that it is expected to have performed--->performance isnt sufficient, the student should be topper and baseball player

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 07:10

As the college topper and a popular member of the college baseball

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap