It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.67
Re: As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 05:48
abhimahna wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Can someone please clarify which (C) is wrong? To me, both (A) and (C) look perfectly correct - grammatically and meaning wise.

There is a difference in the meaning of A and C.

In A, we are comparing the way two airports are built.

But in C, we are comparing the two airports.

So, We need to make sure meaning of the original sentence is maintained. That's why C is incorrect and A is correct.

don't know how correct I am but the original sentences given in the questions don't always have the intended meaning
So how can we say the author meant to compare the way the airports are built and not meant to compare the airports themselves?
Both sentences are logical and grammatically correct

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3081 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 10:01
nileshsharma2105 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Can someone please clarify which (C) is wrong? To me, both (A) and (C) look perfectly correct - grammatically and meaning wise.

So, We need to make sure meaning of the original sentence is maintained. That's why C is incorrect and A is correct.

don't know how correct I am but the original sentences given in the questions don't always have the intended meaning
So how can we say the author meant to compare the way the airports are built and not meant to compare the airports themselves?

Yes, you are absolutely right. But, when there are two grammatically correct sentences choose the one that maintains the original meaning. In this case though, the meanings of A and C are NOT different - these two sentences are equivalent. Such questions are not expected in GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 3081 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 09:30
sayantanc2k wrote:
nileshsharma2105 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

Yes, you are absolutely right. But, when there are two grammatically correct sentences choose the one that maintains the original meaning. In this case though, the meanings of A and C are NOT different - these two sentences are equivalent. Such questions are not expected in GMAT.

You spoke my mind here. The meaning discrepancy pointed out above does not exist. Both mean the same as the "Like X" modifier acts as an adverb to the act of New York's airport "being built".

That said, I have mixed feelings about the verb tense in option A. I know this is probably just a badly made question, but is the tense usage in option A valid?

As all airports are, NY's airports were built for...

Instinct tells me this is not a valid construction in GMAT-ese. However, logically I can't find any flaws in the meaning. Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

sayantanc2k Would be good to know your thoughts

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 11:19
sanghar wrote:
Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

Hi sanghar, difference in tenses does not amount to parallelism violation. Different parts of the sentence can be in different tenses.

As an aside, the original sentence does not use any perfect tense. First portion uses simple present, while second portion uses simple past.

Having said that, the difference in tenses is an issue in this case, because the context is the same for both parts of the sentence.

C is preferable because it uses like in the most classical manner (Like X, Y...).

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 11:58
EducationAisle wrote:
sanghar wrote:
Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

Hi sanghar, difference in tenses does not amount to parallelism violation. Different parts of the sentence can be in different tenses.

As an aside, the original sentence does not use any perfect tense. First portion uses simple present, while second portion uses simple past.

Having said that, the difference in tenses is an issue in this case, because the context is the same for both parts of the sentence.

C is preferable because it uses like in the most classical manner (Like X, Y...).

I did mean that tenses are incompatible because the context is same. I understand that tenses can definitely be different if required within the sentence.

I would contest the idea that the tense in the first clause is simple present - because without the omitted word "built" after "are", the link is illogical - As other airports are, NY's airports were built... -> This construction somehow implies that the manner in which other airports exist is similar to the manner in which NY's airports were built.
So it is only logical to say - As other airports are built, NY's airports were built...

This makes the 1st clause present perfect and the 2nd past perfect. Also, I would think that this does violate parallelism within the construction "As X, Y".

Director
Director
S

As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 22:39
sanghar wrote:
So it is only logical to say - As other airports are built, NY's airports were built...

Hi sanghar, this would not be logical. The sentence is talking about something in the past (before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway). Hence, are built would not be the correct tense. We need to use past tense here.

Quote:
This makes the 1st clause present perfect and the 2nd past perfect.

No. This is simple present and simple past construct (1st clause and 2nd clause respectively).

By the way, built is past participle (and not past perfect) and so, am wondering whether that might be the reason for confusion.

Actually ( believe it or not) participles don't have a tense at all! They just derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses perfect tenses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 107

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 05:54
i feel that A is wrong because i think "As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are," should be "As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports were,",since we are compare two things in the past. please correct me, thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 107

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: SC - As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 03:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 221

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 21:29
As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are, New York's were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

(A) As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are

(B) As with virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports

(C) Like virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports

(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are

(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Last edited by leanhdung on 09 May 2017, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 221

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7587 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 12:20
Top Contributor
The first point to decide here is whether 'are' or 'were' is an action verb or a status verb. Since It is a status verb, you need to compare the subject's themselves since an intended action by both the airports is not there. Therefore, C with the usage of like to compare the two subjects is the more pertinent one.

Second, saying the entire nation's is dubious compared to all of the nations. The correct expression would be the nation is all the busiest, since all modifies the busiest airports.

Finally, it is not clear what the topic wants to convey. There remains a lurking doubt that all the US' airports including the New York's are outdated because of using aircraft that are too large for the infrastructure of these airports.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7587 [0], given: 360

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 00:42
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 00:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ]