GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 22:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: Harvard University
WE: Consulting (Education)
Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 17:13
Answering questions here, especially for those looking for advice about getting into HBS, or any other "Top Ten" highly competitive school. Will try to check back here daily to answer your posts!
I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm: http://www.MBAIvy.com. Check out my blog, and contact me for a free consultation today!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 17:43
Do you have the stats regarding how Deferred 2+2 admissions worked this year? HBS2+2, Yale Silver scholar, etc.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 18:20
Not sure what "stats" you're looking for, regarding 2+2 programs, but yes, they're still happening and active! Here's a link for Harvard's below. Hope that's helpful!

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appl ... cants.aspx
I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm: http://www.MBAIvy.com. Check out my blog, and contact me for a free consultation today!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 19:37
Say you have a 720 GMAT, what then separates applicants? Undergrad, work history, volunteer work (is some volunteer work preferred over others), etc.? What is the next major hurdle to focus on as an applicant a few years in advance?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 20:33
Hi MBAIvy,

I currently work for a start-up whose founders are the same age as me. While I am confident my supervisors can give me glowing recommendations, I am worried about the optics of submitting a recommendation from someone who's basically a peer. I understand that the "art" of the admissions process will also factor in my judgment in selecting the most appropriate recommender, and I'm unsure how my boss's being the same age as I will affect the outcome.

What is your recommendation on what I can do in terms of recommendations or other aspects of my application that might help "compensate" for any shortcomings that might come from asking a recommendation from a boss who's also young in his career? Better yet, is there any way to leverage this situation to stand out or to my advantage?

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.33
GMAT ToolKit User
Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jul 2019, 08:49
Hi!

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by b4y4zid on 26 Jun 2019, 05:36.
Last edited by b4y4zid on 17 Jul 2019, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.08

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 01:02
I want to talk about a topic, may be specific to international candidates.

I am from IIT Delhi, one of the top college in India and have 7.7 gpa out of 10. our grading was relative and cannot be compared with anything not even other IITs as they have other methods. I can understand that college throughout India and even across the globe differ extremely on this.

How is it possible that Harvard calculate average gpa out of 4 scale (as shown in the class profile) Based on this... is 7 GPA / 10 , from a top school of a country, is out? I know the application has several components but if we look average of gpa on their website it gives me some sense that if 7.7/10 converts to 4 scale directly will be around 3.08 which is definitely a red flag.

Please can someone share some thoughts?

* no class ranking is provided by our school and due to 60%+ electives even same class has several different courses(60%+)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 16:40
In terms of what separates candidates, given equal GMAT scores, it's going to come down to your SOP, and interview. Volunteer or humanitarian activity of some kind is important, as is (of course) your own work experience, but above all else, the schools want to see how you are PRESENTING and basically branding yourself to them, which translates directly into "how do you really see yourself as a professional?"

This then translates to "how do you carry yourself, come across to others, represent your own personal vision."

THIS is then what will truly get an admission officer's attention, which is going to equate to an acceptance over "the other guy/woman" all scores being equal.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2019, 16:40

Ask a Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer and Harvard Grad

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4