Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-20-2013
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
This post has been edited

Originally posted by Apoorvasawhney on 10 Oct 2013, 02:49.
Last edited by Apoorvasawhney on 14 Oct 2013, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I would sincerely appreciate an honest critique of my current profile and targeted schools/programs. Thank you very much.

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA both times, 8 IR first time, 5 IR second time
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship) but with China, Chinese financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Mgmt, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
VdV wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some review/insight for a HBS 2+2 application with a 710 GMAT score :)

21, male, French

Undergrad :

Top French school for political science (n°1 in France, top 5 in Europe, most certainly known by HBS) : GPA equivalent 3.7

One-year study abroad at Johns Hopkins (poli sci & international studies) : 3.76 GPA

Grad :

M.A. in International Security at the same French School, same grade (about 3.7 GPA equivalent)

Experience :

1 month summer internship at a research center as assistant to a professor (sophomore year)

5 month part-time at a corporate foundation financed by major French industrial groups, mostly from the aerospace/defense sector

6 months full-time at the leading European aerospace & defense company, within the Strategy department, working on emerging markets

MAYBE (soon to be negociated) 6 months parti-time at a consultancy firm focusing on government-driven industries (and mostly aerospace/defense)

Extracurricular :

Played European handball for 10 years at a competitive level (even national competition when I was a teenager). Team captain several seasons. Amateur level though (but I doubt HBS knows European handball that well)

Group manager for a student project. Project was for the foundation in which I later interned, and involved research, meetings, experts interviews, and an oral presentation of the final report (which I did).

In charge of everything defense-related at a student-led international affairs magazine for 1 year

Language :

French (fluent)
Russian (advanced)

GMAT : 710

Career goal/explaination for MBA : want to get into the business side of the Aerospace & Defense industry.

Essay : talking about how I think better integration/partnerships between European A&D firms will help gain competitiveness and get Europe out of its industrial and economical downfall, and how I think young leaders should have a role in this process.
A short paragraph about how I got through a serious illness and still managed to have a good academic year, and what it taught/brought me.

Thank you for your insights/evaluation !

Hi, thanks for writing in. I personally have no experience with applicants to the 2+2, however I will check with my colleagues to see if anyone else does. From what I see, you seem to be a strong candidate - good grades, decent GMAT, your goals are clear and relate well to your previous experience and studies. I like the suggested content of the essay, it really all sounds spot-on. In your recommendations and resume, you'll want to highlight the leadership aspect as best you can, have your recommenders talk about leadership potential and your ability to influence, motivate, initiate, convince others to effect change etc. without being in a traditional leadership position. The sports is great - shows you have a competitive nature and are well diversified.

Good luck!!

Joy
Senior Application Consultant
Aringo.com

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Originally posted by ARINGO on 13 Oct 2013, 00:53.
Last edited by ARINGO on 17 Nov 2013, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apoorvasawhney wrote:
Hi,

I'm an Indian female, 24 years old. I'd like some feedback on my profile. Here are some details:

1. Academics:
a. GMAT: 770 (Q50 V45)
b. Grad & post-grad: completes a 5 year dual degree program called MBA(Tech) from a reputed B school in India. The degree includes both B Tech (in Information Technology) and MBA-tech (I did a double major in Finance & Marketing). My GPA is 3.6/4.0
c. School (10th and 12th CBSE): 92%

2. Work experience:
a. I have been working with a digital marketing/tech MNC as a part of the business development team for 2 years. I've recently quit my job in June 2013. I have done very well during my time there and have handled clients from across the globe.
b. I have also interned in companies like PwC and TCS during college
c. My goal is to work for the Discovery Channel or for a luxury brand in a marketing role, preferably digital marketing

3. Extra-curriculars:
a. Love playing sports; have been a district level tennis player
b. I have been associated with an NGO that works for women empowerment- I help plan and manage their projects. Was also a part of the rotaract club and the Social Responsibility Forum when I was in college. A part of my long term goal is to set up a home for for the elderly people who have been mistreated/abandoned by their families, an example of which I've seen up close as a child.

4. Leadership:
a. Have held positions of responsibility all throughout my college time, was the Head of Placement Committee, Cultural committee and Media relations Committee.
b. I have spearheaded a lot of projects at work, including the marketing and promotion campaigns and domain monetization campaigns.
c. Have hired, trained and mentored new talent for my team- had complete responsibility for them

Here are my questions:
1. Since I'm currently not working, I'd like to know what I can pursue next so I can ensure admission into a top B School. Should I look for another job or continue with my old job (to maintain continuity) or do full time NGO work in India or abroad?
2. I'd like to do a full time MBA in marketing from a top school, but will the fact that I've already done a technology oriented MBA hamper my chances?
3.My target schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia. Do I have a good chance of getting into any one of these in R2?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Hi, your profile is super - extremely high GMAT and academics, diverse interests, community work, and of course professional business experience.
1) It's definitely advisable to be working when you apply for the MBA, so do get a job. Don't wait too long, or you'll need to explain the gap. You'll be asked why you quit your job, and that will be an answer you'll need to work on, if there's is enough space between quitting and getting the next job. If you can go back to your previous job, so there won't be a need to have a gap in the resume, that's an option. If you are going to choose a new job, it should be better related to your goals, otherwise it doesn't make sense you would leave one job, start in a new direction just for a year, and then plan to go in a completely new direction the next year, with the MBA. You'll look unfocused. I'm not clear where the NGO work comes in - unless it's marketing related somehow. Your long term goal of starting a nursing home sounds like it should be a side thing - not part of your professional goals, if you go in the Discovery Channel/marketing route. If you decide to go the NGO route, then sure - get a job in that, it fits your background - but alter your goals to suit.
2) Most if not all the schools you have mentioned will accept your application if you already have an MBA, but you need to be very explicit and convincing about why you still need an MBA if you already have one. I'm not familiar with a tech MBA, so perhaps it doesn't give you the tools you need for the marketing or NGO future you envision. Explaining that you have decided to leave the tech world would be a good start in explaining, I think.
3) I think you have a chance at the schools you mentioned, assuming you will have a good job, good recommendations, invest in your essays and find a convincing reason for wanting a second MBA.

By the way - I don't know if it's relevant for you, but I came across the following link, in case it's of interest.
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/m ... fellowship

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Hi Joy,

Thank you for the amazing feedback you have been giving to all the GMATClub Members, Just read a few of them and was inspired to chip in with my details :)

Personal:
Male 28 Years

Academics:
GMAT: 690 (Q 49, V 34)
Masters in Management from a Tier 2 University (Human Resources Majors)
Bachelors in Commerce(Accounting)

Work experience:(Will complete 4 Years by applications)
Currently working with a Retail Distributor as a Brand Manager for a Cosmetics and Skincare brand, Pan India. Lead a team of Beauty Consultants.
International Work Experience with a leading Retail Chain as an Assistant Buyer for 11 Countries in Middle East(Dubai).
Assistant Merchandiser for a leading Indian Retailer in India.
Have an experience of working with people from different backgrounds and diverse cultures.
Shifted industry within six months of post grad degree(was very difficult to convince people to hire me in a Marketing Role)

Extra-curriculars:
Almost NIL
Except for paticipating in College plays and Dance( Undergrad years)

Confused regarding school choices.
Applying to ISB, Oxford(SAID), LBS

Thinking of Johnson, Tepper, Duke, Penn State and INSEAD.

For which schools I will be competitive candidate, competitive-to-strong competitive to stretch and stretch candidate?

POST MBA Goals : Luxury Retail or Consumer Goods Industry(Basically Marketing Profile / Marketing Consultancy)

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aringo wrote:
VdV wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some review/insight for a HBS 2+2 application with a 710 GMAT score :)

21, male, French

Undergrad :

Top French school for political science (n°1 in France, top 5 in Europe, most certainly known by HBS) : GPA equivalent 3.7

One-year study abroad at Johns Hopkins (poli sci & international studies) : 3.76 GPA

Grad :

M.A. in International Security at the same French School, same grade (about 3.7 GPA equivalent)

Experience :

1 month summer internship at a research center as assistant to a professor (sophomore year)

5 month part-time at a corporate foundation financed by major French industrial groups, mostly from the aerospace/defense sector

6 months full-time at the leading European aerospace & defense company, within the Strategy department, working on emerging markets

MAYBE (soon to be negociated) 6 months parti-time at a consultancy firm focusing on government-driven industries (and mostly aerospace/defense)

Extracurricular :

Played European handball for 10 years at a competitive level (even national competition when I was a teenager). Team captain several seasons. Amateur level though (but I doubt HBS knows European handball that well)

Group manager for a student project. Project was for the foundation in which I later interned, and involved research, meetings, experts interviews, and an oral presentation of the final report (which I did).

In charge of everything defense-related at a student-led international affairs magazine for 1 year

Language :

French (fluent)
Russian (advanced)

GMAT : 710

Career goal/explaination for MBA : want to get into the business side of the Aerospace & Defense industry.

Essay : talking about how I think better integration/partnerships between European A&D firms will help gain competitiveness and get Europe out of its industrial and economical downfall, and how I think young leaders should have a role in this process.
A short paragraph about how I got through a serious illness and still managed to have a good academic year, and what it taught/brought me.

Thank you for your insights/evaluation !

Hi, thanks for writing in. I personally have no experience with applicants to the 2+2, however I will check with my colleagues to see if anyone else does. From what I see, you seem to be a strong candidate - good grades, decent GMAT, your goals are clear and relate well to your previous experience and studies. I like the suggested content of the essay, it really all sounds spot-on. In your recommendations and resume, you'll want to highlight the leadership aspect as best you can, have your recommenders talk about leadership potential and your ability to influence, motivate, initiate, convince others to effect change etc. without being in a traditional leadership position. The sports is great - shows you have a competitive nature and are well diversified.

Good luck!!

Joy

Aringo.com

[color=#0000ff]

Hi, to add to what I wrote above, I spoke with a 2+2 alum, who said that in recent years HBS has been accepting more tech/science people than before to this program and less humanities. As well, while HBS expects that at least 20-30% of those accepted will defer for up to 5 years to gain additional work experience, if you have a solid plan to come back to HBS after 2 years that would be best. Finally, one of HBS's concerns has been that 2+2 students will feel out of place, especially when older students comment that they are too young to make meaningful contributions. So to allay those concerns, you should demonstrate that you have a lot to contribute from an industry, competency or personal perspective and can hold your own against people with more work experience.

Hope that helps!

Joy
Aringo.com

[/color]
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
farhanc85 wrote:
Hi Joy,

Thank you for the amazing feedback you have been giving to all the GMATClub Members, Just read a few of them and was inspired to chip in with my details :)

Personal:
Male 28 Years

Academics:
GMAT: 690 (Q 49, V 34)
Masters in Management from a Tier 2 University (Human Resources Majors)
Bachelors in Commerce(Accounting)

Work experience:(Will complete 4 Years by applications)
Currently working with a Retail Distributor as a Brand Manager for a Cosmetics and Skincare brand, Pan India. Lead a team of Beauty Consultants.
International Work Experience with a leading Retail Chain as an Assistant Buyer for 11 Countries in Middle East(Dubai).
Assistant Merchandiser for a leading Indian Retailer in India.
Have an experience of working with people from different backgrounds and diverse cultures.
Shifted industry within six months of post grad degree(was very difficult to convince people to hire me in a Marketing Role)

Extra-curriculars:
Almost NIL
Except for paticipating in College plays and Dance( Undergrad years)

Confused regarding school choices.
Applying to ISB, Oxford(SAID), LBS

Thinking of Johnson, Tepper, Duke, Penn State and INSEAD.

For which schools I will be competitive candidate, competitive-to-strong competitive to stretch and stretch candidate?

POST MBA Goals : Luxury Retail or Consumer Goods Industry(Basically Marketing Profile / Marketing Consultancy)

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

Hi, Farhan

And thank you for YOUR feedback! That was great to hear ☺

I'll say a few things, and then I suggest that you go to the link at the bottom, and use our free calculator to get a better sense of your chances at each of your potential schools.

Your GMAT is good, though not great, but is enough for most of the schools you are interested in. It's a bit on the low side for INSEAD, so you'll need to compensate.

Your business experience is strong – when you state your goals, you will want to make a strong connection between what you've done and what you intend to do after your MBA. It's okay to switch careers, but it needs to make sense, and you want to show that your experience will benefit you in your new direction.

I can't see what sort of leadership experience you've had; you'll want to try and stress that in your application.

The international orientation is great – especially for INSEAD.

The extracurrics are weak – see what else you can dig up. Some of your schools – LBS for example – see community participation as very important.

In terms of school choice, other options you might look into, for schools that emphasize marketing majors but are not first tier: McCombs (Austin), Kelley (Indiana), HEC, Kenan-Flagler (UNC).

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
overmind1632 wrote:
I would sincerely appreciate an honest critique of my current profile and targeted schools/programs. Thank you very much.

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA both times, 8 IR first time, 5 IR second time
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship) but with China, Chinese financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Mgmt, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)

Hi, thanks for writing in! I like your profile - solid undergrad, especially considering the double major, and I like the fact that your two fields were chosen wisely and will come together in your future career. You might consider retaking your GMAT, to make yourself more competitive at the first-tier schools you are aiming for, like Wharton and Columbia - Dartmouth as well. I don't know much about the specialty programs you have mentioned, although I believe that for Berkeley, and possibly the others, you are actually a stronger candidate if you apply to the dual program, than if you apply to just the regular MBA, so that's great.

The fact that you have leadership experience from your extracurric's is terrific - you get double the points there, and it nicely rounds out your profile. And your international experience is also a great asset. With solid essays and strong recommendations, I think you have a good chance to make yourself stand out. If you want to look specifically at how you measure up to different schools, try the free calculator below.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Aringo wrote:
Apoorvasawhney wrote:
Hi,

I'm an Indian female, 24 years old. I'd like some feedback on my profile. Here are some details:

1. Academics:
b. Grad & post-grad: completes a 5 year dual degree program called MBA(Tech) from a reputed B school in India. The degree includes both B Tech (in Information Technology) and MBA-tech (I did a double major in Finance & Marketing). My GPA is 3.6/4.0

2. Work experience:
a. I have been working with a digital marketing/tech MNC as a part of the business development team for 2 years. I've recently quit my job in June 2013. I have done very well during my time there and have handled clients from across the globe.
c. My goal is to work for the Discovery Channel or for a luxury brand in a marketing role, preferably digital marketing

3. Extra-curriculars:
b. I have been associated with an NGO that works for women empowerment- I help plan and manage their projects. Was also a part of the rotaract club and the Social Responsibility Forum when I was in college. A part of my long term goal is to set up a home for for the elderly people who have been mistreated/abandoned by their families, an example of which I've seen up close as a child.

4. Leadership:
a. Have held positions of responsibility all throughout my college time, was the Head of Placement Committee, Cultural committee and Media relations Committee.
b. I have spearheaded a lot of projects at work, including the marketing and promotion campaigns and domain monetization campaigns.
c. Have hired, trained and mentored new talent for my team- had complete responsibility for them

Here are my questions:
1. Since I'm currently not working, I'd like to know what I can pursue next so I can ensure admission into a top B School. Should I look for another job or continue with my old job (to maintain continuity) or do full time NGO work in India or abroad?
2. I'd like to do a full time MBA in marketing from a top school, but will the fact that I've already done a technology oriented MBA hamper my chances?
3.My target schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia. Do I have a good chance of getting into any one of these in R2?

Hi, your profile is super - extremely high GMAT and academics, diverse interests, community work, and of course professional business experience.
1) It's definitely advisable to be working when you apply for the MBA, so do get a job. Don't wait too long, or you'll need to explain the gap. You'll be asked why you quit your job, and that will be an answer you'll need to work on, if there's is enough space between quitting and getting the next job. If you can go back to your previous job, so there won't be a need to have a gap in the resume, that's an option. If you are going to choose a new job, it should be better related to your goals, otherwise it doesn't make sense you would leave one job, start in a new direction just for a year, and then plan to go in a completely new direction the next year, with the MBA. You'll look unfocused. I'm not clear where the NGO work comes in - unless it's marketing related somehow. Your long term goal of starting a nursing home sounds like it should be a side thing - not part of your professional goals, if you go in the Discovery Channel/marketing route. If you decide to go the NGO route, then sure - get a job in that, it fits your background - but alter your goals to suit.
2) Most if not all the schools you have mentioned will accept your application if you already have an MBA, but you need to be very explicit and convincing about why you still need an MBA if you already have one. I'm not familiar with a tech MBA, so perhaps it doesn't give you the tools you need for the marketing or NGO future you envision. Explaining that you have decided to leave the tech world would be a good start in explaining, I think.
3) I think you have a chance at the schools you mentioned, assuming you will have a good job, good recommendations, invest in your essays and find a convincing reason for wanting a second MBA.

By the way - I don't know if it's relevant for you, but I came across the following link, in case it's of interest.

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Hi Joy,
Thanks so much for your feedback and the link, helped a lot :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apoorvasawhney wrote:
Aringo wrote:
Apoorvasawhney wrote:
Hi,

1. Academics:

2. Work experience:

3. Extra-curriculars:

4. Leadership:

Here are my questions:

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Hi Joy,
Thanks so much for your feedback and the link, helped a lot :)

Truly my pleasure!

Joy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Joy,

Thank you for all of the feedback and analysis. I wanted to see if you would be able to provide your perspective if you think I should take the GRE again. I am aiming to get into the top 5-10 MBA schools (Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Wharton, etc.) I would love to aim to get into MIT as my background is very quant focused, but please advise if you think my GRE score is too low or if I should take it again?

I am taking the GRE as I was planning on going to graduate school, but I have decided business school is the route I want to go.

1. Background: 27 year old Asian Male, born in China, but moved to the US at the age of 6.

2. College: 3.7/4.0 GPA from University of Louisville, Fraternity President, VP of Education for Interfraternity Council, Board member for Fraternity Council Campus Wide, On the alumni advisory board still to date, Honors Society

3. GRE: Verbal 155 (66%), quant (93%), awa 78%

4. Work Experience: Consulting & Leveraged Finance, currently at a debt organizations group originally a startup of 4 investment professional now over 10

5. Ultimate Goal: To go into technology healthcare, my background with consulting and finance has worked closely with hospitals and the healthcare system and I am passionate about helping to reform the future of healthcare using technology

6. Extra Curricular: Healthcare Philanthropy (Board), Asian American Philanthropy, Softball, Startup Networking Group

Thank You!
Send PM
Expert Reply
ApplicantQuestionMBA wrote:
Hi Joy,

Thank you for all of the feedback and analysis. I wanted to see if you would be able to provide your perspective if you think I should take the GRE again. I am aiming to get into the top 5-10 MBA schools (Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Wharton, etc.) I would love to aim to get into MIT as my background is very quant focused, but please advise if you think my GRE score is too low or if I should take it again?

I am taking the GRE as I was planning on going to graduate school, but I have decided business school is the route I want to go.

1. Background: 27 year old Asian Male, born in China, but moved to the US at the age of 6.

2. College: 3.7/4.0 GPA from University of Louisville, Fraternity President, VP of Education for Interfraternity Council, Board member for Fraternity Council Campus Wide, On the alumni advisory board still to date, Honors Society

3. GRE: Verbal 155 (66%), quant (93%), awa 78%

4. Work Experience: Consulting & Leveraged Finance, currently at a debt organizations group originally a startup of 4 investment professional now over 10

5. Ultimate Goal: To go into technology healthcare, my background with consulting and finance has worked closely with hospitals and the healthcare system and I am passionate about helping to reform the future of healthcare using technology

6. Extra Curricular: Healthcare Philanthropy (Board), Asian American Philanthropy, Softball, Startup Networking Group

Thank You!

Hi, you are more than welcome!
Regarding your GRE score; I have a conversion chart, but need the scores of both sections; you only gave here the Verbal score.
In any event, it's still a conversion, and I'm not sure how the schools actually perceive it. If you are considering retaking the exam, why not take the GMAT?

Joy
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Joy - thanks for responding. My quant score was 166 (94%). I used the ETS converter and my GRE Verbal and Quant score translates to a 670 on the GMAT. I had actually originally took the GMAT; however, after two attempts, my GMAT scores were drastically lower than what I was striving for. In contrast, I performed significantly better on the GRE. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Joy,

Thanks for all the replies and analysis. I would like to get some feedback on my profile:

1. Personal:
Male, Indian, 24 years old

2. Academics:
GMAT: 710(Q49,V36)
B.E Computer Science from a reputed institute in India(non-IIT) with 3.6 GPA
X and XII(CBSE board) - 85% and 88%

3. Work Experience:
I have currently 3.5 years of experience as a Software Engineer working for Oracle in Retail Domain. I work mainly on Inventory Planning and though I have not worked directly with any of the clients(top retailers in world) but I am familiar with their Supply Chain and Inventory Management processes. We are a team of 3 people in India(rest of the team is in US) so not much leadership here but I have been guiding one person over the last 10 months.
I have also interned with ST Microelectronics during my college
The reason I want to do MBA is to have more exposure to business side and then work as a consultant post-MBA.

4. ECs:
I dont have any clubs membership which I was part of during the college but I have some research work which I did during my college(1 international publication and 1 more publication in a conference). Apart from this, I participated in some good competitions based on creating new ideas organised by companies like Google, HP and Schneider Electric.

I am level 1 certified Paragliding Pilot(certification by TemplePilots India)
Frequent hiker and Scuba Diver(not certified though)
Sports: Badminton
Other Interests include photography

I am working on a my start-up with couple of other people but it is in very early phase(not sure if it will count).

Questions:
1. If I start working for a NGO now, will it help ?
2. I am applying to ISB, INSEAD, HKUST, IESE and Ross. Are these colleges good for consulting career and what are my chances in these?
3. What are some of the other colleges I should target considering my profile and post-MBA career path ?

Thanks
Harsh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I was wondering if you could take a look at my profile and see if I have a decent chance at any of my goal schools.

Nepalese Born American

1) I work for a Charter School network in Chicago as the Recruitment Coordinator for Human Capital for four different schools. I have been in this position for a year and a half. Prior to this I taught Chemistry at a high school in Houston, Texas for three years, as a member of Teach for America
2) 650: 44Q 35V
3) College info: Attended The Citadel for Undergrad. Was Biology Major and graduated in 7 semesters. GPA: 3.0 and increased gradually each year of college. started with 2.4/2.8/2.8/2/9/3.3/3.9/3.4(each semester breakdown)
4) On Company board during college. Teach for America. Volunteer as a mentor for a student in a low income area in Chicago through education non-profit
5) Teaching Certificate in Texas.
6)I want to apply round 2 of this year to Kellogg, Haas, Ross, UT(McCombs) and Tuck.
7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
8) I want to work in non-profit consulting/ human capital consulting.

Do you think it would be advisable to retake the GMAT. I took it this past monday and scored the 650. Iam retaking on Dec 3rd but I plan on starting my applications ASAP. Thank you for your time.

Anuj
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I would appreciate a profile evaluation (if you have time). Thanks!

Work Experience
Will have worked at The Boeing Company for 53 months at matriculation.
--First two years I was in a leadership rotation program
--Last two years I have been in a finance strategy role in military aircraft sales

GMAT
Q49/V38
AWA 6.0, IR 7

College Info
California State University, Long Beach; Full-Ride Academic Scholarship
3.7 GPA; Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Cum Laude; 2009

Extracurricular Activities
--College: Worked for the University President's PR team
--College: Led an undergraduate team in an international business competition
--Professional: National Director for a Asian leadership non-profit of about 5,000 members across 27 chapters in the US & Canada. (3 yrs)
--Professional: Senior Adviser for a collegiate group. (2 yrs)

Targeted Programs (all FT this year)
--Early Action: Tuck (already submitted)
--R2: Harvard, MIT, Fuqua, Kellogg

Post MBA Goal
Strategy/management consulting for the Big 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ApplicantQuestionMBA wrote:
Hi Joy - thanks for responding. My quant score was 166 (94%). I used the ETS converter and my GRE Verbal and Quant score translates to a 670 on the GMAT. I had actually originally took the GMAT; however, after two attempts, my GMAT scores were drastically lower than what I was striving for. In contrast, I performed significantly better on the GRE. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, the truth is that in the 9 years I've been doing this, I can't remember a single client who applied with a GRE. I have one applying this year, but that's it. That means I can't respond from any experience regarding whether your GRE is adequate or not. Certainly a 670 on the GMAT is very low for the schools you are interested in. You can certainly get in with the right profile, essays, etc. - but you will have to show yourself as truly sensational. Have you tried taking a GMAT course to improve your scores? Or a GRE course? They can often help a great deal. If not, and you choose to go ahead and apply, then give it your all, and make sure to do good research on each of the schools and what they are looking for, so you can appropriately tailor your application to show the best fit.

Good luck, and do return if you think we can be of any more help.

Regards,

Joy
Aringo.com

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  75