It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 00:50
shashankpaliwal0587 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian male, 28 years old.

I have an Integrated BE honors civil engineering and MBA degree from BITS Pilani (5 years, with 1 full year internships, coursework completed in 4
years, GPA 6.98...Just Missed 7 .

X/XII both 86 %.

GMAT 750 (Hope this will mitigate my low CGPA).

I worked with a major KPO in the area of Sales and Operations Planning. In 5 years was promoted thrice and was leading a 6 member team of data analysts. For the past 6 months I am working with Myntra, India's largest fashion ecommerce company, as an individual contributor in the process excellence function.

Extra curricular.. was on the organising committee of our management fest, nothing much post college.

Have got a number of awards at work, for being the best team leader in my vertical, for teams which i was leading.

Post MBA want to get into consultancy.

Confused about which schools to target.

Planning to apply this year.

Regards,
Shashank


Hi Shashank,

I like your profile. GMAT is nice and high, and you’ve got terrific leadership experience. Extracurricular activities are a bit low, but that seems the main weakness. Not sure how your GPA translates… do you know your rank? Are you top 20%? One thing to be aware of, is that some schools will not accept a candidate who already has an MBA, so you will need to check them one by one to see where it’s allowed. You will also naturally need to explain why you need another one (since you are changing careers, shouldn’t be too hard.)

For consulting, the top schools right now are: London Business School, Tuck, INSEAD, Harvard, Columbia, Booth, Duke and MIT. Lower tier schools are: Emory and Imperial College in the UK. Another school well known for consulting is Kellogg. Do your research, and again, see what each school’s policy is on having an MBA.

Regards,

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 23:59
aj3691 wrote:
Aringo wrote:
aj3691 wrote:
Hi,

I've just given my GMAT and got a score of 670(47Q/35V, IR 7).
A bit more about myself:
I'm an Indian male, age 24 years. I have lived outside India for the major part of my life (in the middle east).
I have a bachelors degree in Electrical and Electronics form NIT Warangal ( Rank 8 college in India ) with a CGPA of 6.3/10, graduated in 2013.After which I worked at Bank of America as a Tech associate in India for 18 months. Here I was the offshore point of contact for an agile project. Worked in the role of Business Analyst in gathering business requirements and developing test cases working extensively with the developers and business partners. Got a silver award for my work in this project.

I then started a company with my friend called Urbserv which is a online/mobile app that allows you to book a handyman around the clock at your convenience. We launched in March and have received around 1000 orders till now.While working on the startup our aim was to create an app for cooks and cleaners on the go and improve their living conditions by the profits we generated from this but to change the idea because of security laws that govern this kind of work and the investors werent interested because of this.

I then moved to Riyadh,Saudi Arabia after working for a few months in the startup and started working as an Assistant Manager in a mid sized Printing and Packaging Firm(generates business of around 5 million SAR monthly ) to improve my leadership skills and to learn all aspects of running a company.Here I supervise the overall working of the company focusing mainly on operations and sales and have about 80 people reporting to me. Over the course of 6 months that i have worked here the company has improved its profit margin from 14-18%. We have used the extra money to improve the living conditions of our labour employees and in educating them. In the past 3 months we have focused on using a part of our profits in helping the under privileged by organizing volunteering activities.

During the process I have learnt that an MBA would have been very helpful.I would like to start a Social enterprise after my MBA, which aims on creating revenue generating businesses marketed with a social theme and the profits generated from these business will be used for building homes and providing food for the underprivileged in the country .In 10 years time I would like this Enterprise to improve the living conditions of the people living below the poverty line by building homes, proving food,education and providing proper healthcare.

To further my career at this point in time I would like to apply for an MBA program. Given my profile it would be very helpful if you could advice me to which colleges I can apply to. With colleges considered, ambitious, moderate and safe.

Thanks
Arjun


Hi Arjun,
What an impressive profile for someone your age – that’s amazing, really! You have terrific things in your profile; the managerial experience, the entrepreneurial activity, international experience and the constant social impact. Wonderful. The GMAT is on the low side for top-tier schools; if you think you might be able to study hard and bring it up, that would definitely increase your chances.

As is, roughly from easier to harder, in the US, you might consider Babson, Anderson, Cornell, Darden, Yale, Haas, MIT. In Europe, IESE, INSEAD.

Good luck!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image


Hi Joy,

Thanks for your quick reply.About the venture its still in existence and planning to scale up operations after next round of funding start of 2016. I m still part of the company and hold a stake in the company. I started working on it since 2014 September while i was still working in BOA and launched in march I left the company in May. I left the company because the companys vision didnt meet my own vision of helping the underprivileged and it wasnt where i wanted to see myself in 10 years. In Riyadh i was able to find a job that helped me grow as a leader and a company that has allowed me to realize my vision and enhance the social brand of the company.

About the universities i was aiming for, Stanford or Yale as they have an amazing scope for social entrepreneurship and can attract the right investors and find an amazing team.I have scored a little less on the Gmat than expected as I was constantly scoring around 710 in my practice mocks. During the real test i entered the math section 4 mins late due to a misunderstanding with the invigilator(was under the impression she would inform once my 8 min break was over) and only got 47 in math. But at the same time I dont think it is wise to waste a year because staring a company requires a lot of energy and time and I dont think you can be fully prepared to do it unless you start doing it. I have researched a lot about the programs in the above mentioned universities and dont know much about other programs in the US.

I would like to conclude by asking what would your advice be Joy. Will waiting a year and retaking the gmat be worth it or should I apply to some lower ranked universities with a great scope for my kind of vision.I would prefer the US given its population and a good infrastructure to support my business idea.I am open to similar programs in Canada as the gmat median scores for most programs are lesser that of the us. I would also like to take up a free consultation with your organisation because you have mentioned some pretty impressive programs in your post and would like to know if their programs match my interests

Thanks ,
Arjun



Hi again, Arjun
Firstly, I’m really glad I was able to help. About Canadian schools, indeed they accept lower GMATs, and I’ve had happy clients accepted to Schulich, Rotman, and a few others. You should definitely consider. Regarding Stanford, the chances of getting in with a 670, particularly second round, are very slim… If you think you can do better on the GMAT, why not just retake now? If it’s not feasible, then I would definitely wait until next year, and apply with a higher GMAT AND apply round one, where there will be more spaces available.

Good luck!!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 00:01
liran83 wrote:
Dear Aringo Experts,
I'm preparing for MBA application now and still not sure what school is right for me. I'm looking for business schools in the US.

I'm 32/female/Chinese with 10+years of experience.
B.Comm from UBC/Sauder(Canada) - major in logistics and supply chain management and minor in economics.
GPA: 71/100
GMAT: 700(going to retake the test this month)

Background:
After I graduated from high school, my mother and I decided to open a school offering ballet and piano classes in Nanjing(one of China's major cities). We have no employee at the beginning. Starting from distributing flier on the street and giving free class in public school, we managed to build the foundation of our business and make profit in two years. Then I went to Canada in 2003 for university education. After that I had two jobs in Vancouver Canada(one job as purchasing assistant and one job as full cycle accountant for a small company). I was part time teaching piano at the same time. Then I went back to China and work as a sales and marketing specialist in an MNC in 2011. At the same time I started to do the management work for the school again. I quit job in 2012 and devoted all my energy to the school. Now our school has very good reputation in Nanjing and has over 1000 students. We are offering courses for nationally and internationally recognized certificate now. Currently I invited a partner to join our team and she will take over the daily operation in the school when I pursue MBA degree.

ST/LT goal:
My plan is to enhance my soft and hard skills as an entrepreneur, to professionalize my school and to grown my business through MBA program. My short term goal upon graduation is to expand my school. My long term goal is to build a international school brand in China and provide education from kindergarten to high school(International Baccalaureate(IB) programmes).

Please kindly give me some advice on which schools I should apply and where I stand with my profile. Thanks in advance!


Hi, you have a unique profile. I love the story of the school’s growth from nothing to 1,000 students, that’s terrific. I also love your goals to branch out into regular K-12 education.
You should focus on schools that are strong in entrepreneurship; you might even consider 1 year programs, since you might not need an internship.
Factors weighing against you are your age (you are a bit older that then average), GMAT is okay but not terrific; GPA seems low, but maybe not – do you know the percentage you were in your graduating class?
You haven’t mentioned any extracurriculars, but I imagine you have some?
The international experience you have is a great plus.

Schools to consider would be Columbia, Stanford (on the stretch/dream end of the scale)… Haas and Ross… (bit easier)… Babson, McCombs, Marshall and Kelley .
Of those, the ones that offer a 12 or 18 month program are Columbia,

You should DEFINITELY look into Marshall’s one-year program for experienced professionals. It’s a one year accelerated MBA for people with 10 years of work experience.

Good luck!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 06:03
Hello All,

I am looking to apply for part-time MBA programs.

profile: Indian male currently working in USA.

1) Undergrad: Engineering (First Class with distinction, 75.22/100)
2) Masters : USA, Electrical & Computer (GPA= 4.0/4.0)
3) Total 7 years of professional experience - 4 Years as Lead.
4) topper in maths in high school, topper in Masters - got full tuition waiver for my master program.
5) NGO work - 6 years (thou, I stared at the young age fo 14 years and was part of high school & undergrad activities as part of Bharat scouts & NCC, companies NGO participation)
6) achievements at work, NGO and sports activities

I am looking for the following schools in order of priority - specialization in Technology Consulting.
1) Foster evening MBA UWashington Seattle -
2) EMBA Broad MSU - ( can apply for GMAT waiver based on my Masters GPA)
3) Gonzueita evening MBA -
4) Schellar, Georgia Tech evening mba

Can someone please let me know which colleges I can get an admit. if not, my weak areas in the profile

Thank you in Advance.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 02:05
mathewras wrote:
Hello All,

I am looking to apply for part-time MBA programs.

profile: Indian male currently working in USA.

1) Undergrad: Engineering (First Class with distinction, 75.22/100)
2) Masters : USA, Electrical & Computer (GPA= 4.0/4.0)
3) Total 7 years of professional experience - 4 Years as Lead.
4) topper in maths in high school, topper in Masters - got full tuition waiver for my master program.
5) NGO work - 6 years (thou, I stared at the young age fo 14 years and was part of high school & undergrad activities as part of Bharat scouts & NCC, companies NGO participation)
6) achievements at work, NGO and sports activities

I am looking for the following schools in order of priority - specialization in Technology Consulting.
1) Foster evening MBA UWashington Seattle -
2) EMBA Broad MSU - ( can apply for GMAT waiver based on my Masters GPA)
3) Gonzueita evening MBA -
4) Schellar, Georgia Tech evening mba

Can someone please let me know which colleges I can get an admit. if not, my weak areas in the profile

Thank you in Advance.


Thanks for your interest; we don’t have any special information on chances at acceptance to part-time schools.
But wishing you good luck!


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 05:06
Hi
Gmat score : 640 (Q-50 ,V-26)
5.8 years of Work Exp
GPA-75/100

I am thinking of applying
Kelley
Brigham
Iowa
Tippie

Please suggest

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 02:00
ssinghvi wrote:
Hi
Gmat score : 640 (Q-50 ,V-26)
5.8 years of Work Exp
GPA-75/100

I am thinking of applying
Kelley
Brigham
Iowa
Tippie

Please suggest


Hi, your GMAT seems reasonable for the schools you have chosen.
Without any further information, there’s not much else I can help with.

Good luck,
Joy



--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Posts: 160

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 110

Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 12:00
Hi team,
I would like you to evaluate my profile and provide me a list of b-schools that will be suitable for my profile. Also, I have applied and planning to apply to a few b-schools.I would appreciate if you could give a rough probability of getting in those schools.

Course: MBA Full-time
Entry: 2016
Interested regions: Singapore, US, India.
Country of origin and current location : India.

GMAT:710
Q-49
V-38
IR-7
AWA-6
TOEFL: 110

Work -ex: 3 years by june 2016.
Firm: J.P.Morgan Chase & Co.
Work type and profile : Business Intelligence and Reporting.
SAP Crystal Reports.

Undergad GPA : 66/100 ( first class with distinction )
Undergrad University: Mumbai University.
Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Engineering ( Information technology)

Activities: College Core marketing team.(for college festival). Organizer for inter-college dance festival.
Community work :Core Philanthropy team at JP Morgan.
First rank in the IEEE mumbai division, Inter college website competition for brand promotion.

Schools applied to:
1. UCLA Anderson
2. CMU Tepper
3. Carroll -Boston
4.HKUST ( received interview invite)
5. NTU

Schools planning to apply
:
1.NUS
2.Fuqua
3.Robert H Smith -Maryland.
4.ISB
5.MIT
Top target schools:
1.NUS
2.MIT
3.Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 110

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2015
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 08:30
Hi Gil/Aringo team,

My profile:
GMAT: 710 (Q51 V34 awa 5)
Female
Age: 28
Bachelor in Technology(Information technology) from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (Guru PremSukh College), Delhi
graduation: 71%
10th class: 80%
12th class:70%

Total experience: 2.5 years ERP (finance) software + 1 year enterpreneurship + 2.2 years ERP (Finance and taxes) software

I have worked for 2.5 years as Software Engineer (In ERP, finance as technical consultant) with Wipro in India, then started my own small services company providing software services to clients, with 8 employees in the start
Later had to close the company due to some personal problems, then joined ERP again with a small company.
I plan to work in ERP Management in future, then long term goal is to start a business with my family for which I have a small plan,

Which US schools should I apply to with these goals and profile, I have recently taken GMAT, on 1st Nov, and planning to apply to the second rounds.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 00:06
krutik123 wrote:
Hi team,
I would like you to evaluate my profile and provide me a list of b-schools that will be suitable for my profile. Also, I have applied and planning to apply to a few b-schools.I would appreciate if you could give a rough probability of getting in those schools.

Course: MBA Full-time
Entry: 2016
Interested regions: Singapore, US, India.
Country of origin and current location : India.

GMAT:710
Q-49
V-38
IR-7
AWA-6
TOEFL: 110

Work -ex: 3 years by june 2016.
Firm: J.P.Morgan Chase & Co.
Work type and profile : Business Intelligence and Reporting.
SAP Crystal Reports.

Undergad GPA : 66/100 ( first class with distinction )
Undergrad University: Mumbai University.
Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Engineering ( Information technology)

Activities: College Core marketing team.(for college festival). Organizer for inter-college dance festival.
Community work :Core Philanthropy team at JP Morgan.
First rank in the IEEE mumbai division, Inter college website competition for brand promotion.

Schools applied to:
1. UCLA Anderson
2. CMU Tepper
3. Carroll -Boston
4.HKUST ( received interview invite)
5. NTU

Schools planning to apply
:
1.NUS
2.Fuqua
3.Robert H Smith -Maryland.
4.ISB
5.MIT
Top target schools:
1.NUS
2.MIT
3.Fuqua


Hi, you’ve got some great stuff going for you in your profile – academics are first rate, and good extracurriculars.
Unfortunately, as you probably know, you are in a highly overrepresented pool, which will make it quite difficult for you to stand out, especially in the US schools.
Of the schools you’ve applied to, Boston, HKUST and maybe NTU (I’m not well aware of their competitiveness) will be your best bet.

Of the other schools, I would think Maryland. Again, NUS and ISB perhaps, but I’m not aware of their competitiveness.

Next up will be Tepper, and then Anderson, and MIT and Duke at the top, in terms of quite a stretch.

Wishing you best of luck,

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young


Last edited by Aringo on 21 Dec 2015, 06:38, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 00:10
mindsprout wrote:
Hi Gil/Aringo team,

My profile:
GMAT: 710 (Q51 V34 awa 5)
Female
Age: 28
Bachelor in Technology(Information technology) from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (Guru PremSukh College), Delhi
graduation: 71%
10th class: 80%
12th class:70%

Total experience: 2.5 years ERP (finance) software + 1 year enterpreneurship + 2.2 years ERP (Finance and taxes) software

I have worked for 2.5 years as Software Engineer (In ERP, finance as technical consultant) with Wipro in India, then started my own small services company providing software services to clients, with 8 employees in the start
Later had to close the company due to some personal problems, then joined ERP again with a small company.
I plan to work in ERP Management in future, then long term goal is to start a business with my family for which I have a small plan,

Which US schools should I apply to with these goals and profile, I have recently taken GMAT, on 1st Nov, and planning to apply to the second rounds.


Hi, your profile is interesting; the IT is of course very common for Indian applicants, but the fact that you started and ran your own company with 8 employees is very promising. Also, the fact that you are a woman will make a big difference.

I suggest going for schools that specialize in entrepreneurship, and go for a range – shoot for some stretch schools, and have safety and competitive schools as well.

Columbia, MIT, Haas, Anderson, Babson, Kelley, McCombs and Kenan Flagler – and Tepper, because of the IT.

Do make sure to highlight any extracurricular activities you have; you didn’t mention here any.

Best regards,

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young


Last edited by Aringo on 21 Dec 2015, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 08:26
Hello,
I would like you to evaluate my profile and provide me a list of b-schools that will be suitable for my profile.

Profile:
Gender - Male
Age - 27
Nationality - Indian

Educational Qualification:
Bachelor's Degree in Production & Industrial Engineering from one of the Top ten colleges of the country
Year of Graduation: 2011
GPA - 70.18%

Work Experience:
Jul 2011 - till date

After completing college I joined the Steam Turbine Design team of Siemens Limited. My role and responsibilities include :

1. Modernization of major steam turbine components for power plants in the US.
2. Interaction and coordination with international colleagues from around the globe.
3. Completed two cost optimization programs till date reducing the cost of a product by thousands of USD.

Achievements & Extra-Curricular Activities:
• Certificates of Merit at senior and senior secondary levels
• Participated and won numerous quizzes and competitions throughout academic carrier

GMAT Score: 720 ( IR:8, AW:4.5, Q:50, V:39)

Post MBA : I want to get into Supply Chain Management for a major firm.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 06:40
Josh2711 wrote:
Hello,
I would like you to evaluate my profile and provide me a list of b-schools that will be suitable for my profile.

Profile:
Gender - Male
Age - 27
Nationality - Indian

Educational Qualification:
Bachelor's Degree in Production & Industrial Engineering from one of the Top ten colleges of the country
Year of Graduation: 2011
GPA - 70.18%

Work Experience:
Jul 2011 - till date

After completing college I joined the Steam Turbine Design team of Siemens Limited. My role and responsibilities include :

1. Modernization of major steam turbine components for power plants in the US.
2. Interaction and coordination with international colleagues from around the globe.
3. Completed two cost optimization programs till date reducing the cost of a product by thousands of USD.

Achievements & Extra-Curricular Activities:
• Certificates of Merit at senior and senior secondary levels
• Participated and won numerous quizzes and competitions throughout academic carrier

GMAT Score: 720 ( IR:8, AW:4.5, Q:50, V:39)

Post MBA : I want to get into Supply Chain Management for a major firm.


Hi, you seem to have a good, solid, profile though the most obvious weakness is lack of managerial or leadership experience.
You might consider Kelley in Indiana; Emory – Goizueta in Atlanta, which specialize in Production or General Management. There’s also Michigan State U, Penn State U, Ohio State U, Arizona State U, Purdue, and University of Tennessee at Knoxville – all of which have specialization in Supply Chain/Logistics.

Good luck!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 13:07
Dear Aringo Experts,

An Indian Male here, but non-IT.

Need some help regarding whether I have a shot at Ross, Duke, INSEAD and NYU

GMAT: 680 (Q48, V35)

WE: 4.5 yrs with EY in consulting & research in the Indian M&A and PE space (excellent career progression and coveted awards, worked across diverse sectors, leadership experience includes handling teams of 3-6 analysts on different projects); 2 years as an entrepreneur (presently running my own textile business - manufacturing, trading and wholesale - sales of INR12 million and reaching INR16 million this year)

GPA: 59.4% (missed first class by 0.6%) but graduated in business from a top-tier college of Delhi University

Extra-curricular: Quizzing since college. Have won numerous university-level and corporate-level quizzes representing college and EY (Have even won quizzes that were aired on national TV). Doing it for the last 8 years !!

Post-MBA goal: Short-term: IB/Consulting, Long-term: PE

Any other B-School suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2014
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Project Management (Other)
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 15:44
Hello,

I intend to apply to ISB in R2 this year. Please evaluate my profile for the same. The details are as mentioned below.

I have taken the GMAT thrice, last in Dec’15 when I scored 680 [Q 47, V 37, IR 6, AWA 5.5]. In my previous two attempts in Sep’15 and Nov’14 I had scored 600 [Q 49, V 23, IR 5, AWA 5] and 610 [Q 45, V 28, IR 5, AWA 5] respectively.

I will have completed 7 years [2009 – 16] of work experience in Mar’16. Throughout these 7 yrs I have worked in two infrastructure development companies in a project management role for construction projects. For the first two years I was in a hydro electric power plant construction project in Sikkim and for the remaining period I worked in a metro railway viaduct & stations construction project in Kolkata.

My academic qualifications are briefly mentioned below

Class X - ICSE 2000 - 89.83%

Class XII - ISC 2002 - 81.33%

B. Tech (Civil Engg.) – NIT Surat [2003 – 07]– CGPA 8.16 / 10

PGPACM – NICMAR, Pune [2007 – 09] – CPI 8.16 / 10

Right after my graduation, I have done post graduation in Advanced Construction Management, which is a course especially designed for project management in the construction industry and is not comparable to any other MBA course.

Also, I was the lead author (there were 2 co-authors) of an article regarding application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) in construction project selection that was published in ‘DECISION’ the IIMC Journal (Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta) in 2011.

I presented technical papers in some Technical Festivals during at IIT Roorkee, NIT Trichy, and in my own college NIT Surat.

Also I was event coordinator in one of the events during our college Techfest.

During my tenure in my first company, I had taken up a few CSR initiatives for the company.

Apart from this I was enthusiastic in playing cricket and football and represented my hostel / class / company in some small tournaments.

As is obvious from the above, I don’t have much ECA to speak of. Also, there is a one year gap after my Class XII boards, when I prepared for competitive examinations. Will these two factors be a major drawback in my application? Will the article that I published work as an advantage ?

Also, please give your views on my overall profile.

Also, please suggest which other B-schools may be targeted with this GMAT score and profile.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 03:36
quintusbatiatus wrote:
Dear Aringo Experts,

An Indian Male here, but non-IT.

Need some help regarding whether I have a shot at Ross, Duke, INSEAD and NYU

GMAT: 680 (Q48, V35)

WE: 4.5 yrs with EY in consulting & research in the Indian M&A and PE space (excellent career progression and coveted awards, worked across diverse sectors, leadership experience includes handling teams of 3-6 analysts on different projects); 2 years as an entrepreneur (presently running my own textile business - manufacturing, trading and wholesale - sales of INR12 million and reaching INR16 million this year)

GPA: 59.4% (missed first class by 0.6%) but graduated in business from a top-tier college of Delhi University

Extra-curricular: Quizzing since college. Have won numerous university-level and corporate-level quizzes representing college and EY (Have even won quizzes that were aired on national TV). Doing it for the last 8 years !!

Post-MBA goal: Short-term: IB/Consulting, Long-term: PE

Any other B-School suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.


Hi, your professional experience sounds great – love the awards and promotions. The extracurricular quizzing is interesting, but it would be great if you have anything else to add to it; I’d like to see something that has impact in the community or at least involves some teamwork, as quizzing seems a rather solitary pursuit. The entrepreneurial experience is fantastic – running your own textile business, with probably great leadership/managerial experience. Wonderful! GMAT is in the low range of almost all the schools – Duke would be the exception, where it’s around the average, but the rest of your profile might indeed compensate for it. I don’t see whether or not you have international experience; if so, highlight it – especially for INSEAD.

My only question would be why go from consulting to entrepreneurism and then back to consulting; you’ll need to have a convincing explanation for that.

Other schools to consider: London Business School, Tuck, Kellogg, Yale, MIT… for safety schools – Tepper and Emory.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 23:42
x1Alpha wrote:
Hello,

I intend to apply to ISB in R2 this year. Please evaluate my profile for the same. The details are as mentioned below.

I have taken the GMAT thrice, last in Dec’15 when I scored 680 [Q 47, V 37, IR 6, AWA 5.5]. In my previous two attempts in Sep’15 and Nov’14 I had scored 600 [Q 49, V 23, IR 5, AWA 5] and 610 [Q 45, V 28, IR 5, AWA 5] respectively.

I will have completed 7 years [2009 – 16] of work experience in Mar’16. Throughout these 7 yrs I have worked in two infrastructure development companies in a project management role for construction projects. For the first two years I was in a hydro electric power plant construction project in Sikkim and for the remaining period I worked in a metro railway viaduct & stations construction project in Kolkata.

My academic qualifications are briefly mentioned below

Class X - ICSE 2000 - 89.83%

Class XII - ISC 2002 - 81.33%

B. Tech (Civil Engg.) – NIT Surat [2003 – 07]– CGPA 8.16 / 10

PGPACM – NICMAR, Pune [2007 – 09] – CPI 8.16 / 10

Right after my graduation, I have done post graduation in Advanced Construction Management, which is a course especially designed for project management in the construction industry and is not comparable to any other MBA course.

Also, I was the lead author (there were 2 co-authors) of an article regarding application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) in construction project selection that was published in ‘DECISION’ the IIMC Journal (Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta) in 2011.

I presented technical papers in some Technical Festivals during at IIT Roorkee, NIT Trichy, and in my own college NIT Surat.

Also I was event coordinator in one of the events during our college Techfest.

During my tenure in my first company, I had taken up a few CSR initiatives for the company.

Apart from this I was enthusiastic in playing cricket and football and represented my hostel / class / company in some small tournaments.

As is obvious from the above, I don’t have much ECA to speak of. Also, there is a one year gap after my Class XII boards, when I prepared for competitive examinations. Will these two factors be a major drawback in my application? Will the article that I published work as an advantage ?

Also, please give your views on my overall profile.

Also, please suggest which other B-schools may be targeted with this GMAT score and profile.


Hi there.
Your academics look very good, as does your professional experience – it’s not clear if you have any direct managerial experience, or just project management. The lack of community service is a drawback, but the fact that you have other activities will help to balance it. If you were chosen specifically out of many others to present the paper, do highlight that fact. The cricket and football playing and tournaments are very good – you can talk about those, especially if they enhanced your teamwork/leadership abilities. The GMAT is a bit low, though there are plenty of schools where it won’t be the deciding issue. I can’t comment on ISB in particular; if you are interested in other schools, please feel free to run them by us. Since I’m not sure if you are targeting a particular geographical area, and since you have not mentioned your goals, I won’t suggest specific schools at this time.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2015
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 12:43
Dear Aringo Team,
I want to apply to the 3 spanish Business Schools (IESE, IE, ESADE) for the 2016 intake. For IESE I want to catch the R2 deadline on January 4.

Quick facts:
- GMAT single attempt 640 (Q38 V39 AWA 5.0 IR 7)
- German male, 29 years, 4 years work experience after graduation
- German Diploma (equivalent to Master) in "Business Engineering for Maritime Transport", that is Nautical Studies. Required to drive large cargo or passenger ships first as an Officer, later as a Captain. German Scale 1.6 ("good") which converts to GPA 3.9 .
- Active sea career on cargo ships and currently on a passenger vessel
- So far 3 promotions: Apprentice Officer, 3rd Officer, 2nd Officer, Safety Officer (Chief Officer)
- Leadership experiences in all positions; now leading 160 crew members in relation to ship emergency procedures and safety (other heads of departments organize their daily work routines)
- 3rd position in the ship's command after Captain and Staff Captain on a 144 m worldwide operating cruise ship for 350 passengers.
- Will achieve the Master Mariner License within the next contract, that is the permit to handle every ship worldwide, without restrictions, as a captain.

Short term goal: Transition into the upper shoreside management of a large company that has strings to the maritime sector. Examples that are based in my hometown Hamburg would be Siemens, ThyssenKrupp Marine, DNV-GL (world's largest classification society) or one of the numerous shipping companies such as Hamburg Süd, Hapag Lloyd or Maersk (international).

Long term goal: After a few years of economic experience I would like to take over the management of our family business, a maritime ship supplier. I want to use the business education and following experience to be able to make an impact there.

Extracurricular Activities:
  • Contributed to the development of Sea Traffic Management at the European Union co-financed MONALISA 2.0 project. Actively evaluated new concepts via the European Maritime Simulator Network with the Fraunhofer Center of Maritime Logistics at the Technical University Hamburg-Harburg.
  • Member of the University Student Body 2009-2010
  • High School Student Representative 2005-2006


Please kindly evaluate my chances for admission.

Thank you and kind regards,
Andreas
_________________

Join me on my Barcelona MBA journey!

barcelonamba.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 08:53
Please evaluate my profile:
Name: Shashank
Citizenship: Indian
10th: 82%
12th: 76%
Under Grad: Mining Machinery Engineering.
(Mechanical engineering with specialization in Mining and construction equipment)
Under grad college: Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad

Qualified IIT - JEE with all India Rank 5121
GPA : 7.2/10
GMAT Score: 710 - Q49 V37 IR7

Work Experience: 4 years 5 Months( July 2011- Present)
Company: Tata Steel Ltd
Designation: Manager - Maintenance
Working in an open pit captive coal mine,
Looking after Maintenanace of Rear Dumpers,
Job responsibilities: inventory management, human and non human resource management, preparing and complying to AOP. Preparing and complying to maintenance plan.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 02:55
r4nta wrote:
Dear Aringo Team,
I want to apply to the 3 spanish Business Schools (IESE, IE, ESADE) for the 2016 intake. For IESE I want to catch the R2 deadline on January 4.

Quick facts:
- GMAT single attempt 640 (Q38 V39 AWA 5.0 IR 7)
- German male, 29 years, 4 years work experience after graduation
- German Diploma (equivalent to Master) in "Business Engineering for Maritime Transport", that is Nautical Studies. Required to drive large cargo or passenger ships first as an Officer, later as a Captain. German Scale 1.6 ("good") which converts to GPA 3.9 .
- Active sea career on cargo ships and currently on a passenger vessel
- So far 3 promotions: Apprentice Officer, 3rd Officer, 2nd Officer, Safety Officer (Chief Officer)
- Leadership experiences in all positions; now leading 160 crew members in relation to ship emergency procedures and safety (other heads of departments organize their daily work routines)
- 3rd position in the ship's command after Captain and Staff Captain on a 144 m worldwide operating cruise ship for 350 passengers.
- Will achieve the Master Mariner License within the next contract, that is the permit to handle every ship worldwide, without restrictions, as a captain.

Short term goal: Transition into the upper shoreside management of a large company that has strings to the maritime sector. Examples that are based in my hometown Hamburg would be Siemens, ThyssenKrupp Marine, DNV-GL (world's largest classification society) or one of the numerous shipping companies such as Hamburg Süd, Hapag Lloyd or Maersk (international).

Long term goal: After a few years of economic experience I would like to take over the management of our family business, a maritime ship supplier. I want to use the business education and following experience to be able to make an impact there.

Extracurricular Activities:
  • Contributed to the development of Sea Traffic Management at the European Union co-financed MONALISA 2.0 project. Actively evaluated new concepts via the European Maritime Simulator Network with the Fraunhofer Center of Maritime Logistics at the Technical University Hamburg-Harburg.
  • Member of the University Student Body 2009-2010
  • High School Student Representative 2005-2006


Please kindly evaluate my chances for admission.

Thank you and kind regards,
Andreas


Hi, I think you have fantastic chances of acceptance. While your GMAT is a bit on the low side, it’s in the acceptable range for these schools, and your outstanding leadership experience and post-graduation opportunities make you an excellent candidate. Good luck!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2015, 02:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  45    Next  [ 898 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.