GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2016
Posts: 8
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 22:30
Age : 25
Educational Qualifications : Bachelors in Applied Petroleum Engineering
CGPA : 2.97, Equivalent percentage : 79.40%
Year of passing : 2012
Location :India

GMAT:710
10th: 89.8%
12th: 86.4%
TOEFL: 115


Work Experience
4 Years (By the time I will start applying it will be 5 yrs) in Reliance Industries Ltd. (India's largest private company with more than 40000 employees)
- Working as Workover Engineer (planning, executing and managing drilling and workover operations of oil and gas wells)
- Managing a team of 20+ engineers directly and more than 200 employees indirectly.
- Managing 200+ sites and 10+ Rigs (In-charge of all rigs).
- Revised and implemented operations procedures that led to reduction in down time from 15%(approx) to <2% effectively saving more than $5,000,000
- Take mentoring classes for new recruits (fresh graduates) and provide training to them about different oil and gas field operations.

Extracurriculars
- Teaching orphans, underprivileged children and illiterate adults via NGO subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computers( More than 3 yrs now.)
- Team member of project's Table Tennis and Badminton team.
- Organized Free Health and Eye checkup camps, and Blood donation camps in various villages in India since 2013 , held half yearly. (Through company's CSR policy)

Target 1 : Full time MBA 2 years at a leading college
Target 2 : M Finance at a leading college

My questions :

1. An honest opinion about where I stand
2. What could I do to improve my case ?
3. As per my case, which are the schools that I should be looking at ?
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 03:30
evilphilospher wrote:
Age : 25
Educational Qualifications : Bachelors in Applied Petroleum Engineering
CGPA : 2.97, Equivalent percentage : 79.40%
Year of passing : 2012
Location :India

GMAT:710
10th: 89.8%
12th: 86.4%
TOEFL: 115


Work Experience
4 Years (By the time I will start applying it will be 5 yrs) in Reliance Industries Ltd. (India's largest private company with more than 40000 employees)
- Working as Workover Engineer (planning, executing and managing drilling and workover operations of oil and gas wells)
- Managing a team of 20+ engineers directly and more than 200 employees indirectly.
- Managing 200+ sites and 10+ Rigs (In-charge of all rigs).
- Revised and implemented operations procedures that led to reduction in down time from 15%(approx) to <2% effectively saving more than $5,000,000
- Take mentoring classes for new recruits (fresh graduates) and provide training to them about different oil and gas field operations.

Extracurriculars
- Teaching orphans, underprivileged children and illiterate adults via NGO subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computers( More than 3 yrs now.)
- Team member of project's Table Tennis and Badminton team.
- Organized Free Health and Eye checkup camps, and Blood donation camps in various villages in India since 2013 , held half yearly. (Through company's CSR policy)

Target 1 : Full time MBA 2 years at a leading college
Target 2 : M Finance at a leading college

My questions :

1. An honest opinion about where I stand
2. What could I do to improve my case ?
3. As per my case, which are the schools that I should be looking at ?


Hi, your profile looks excellent.
Strengths: Great leadership and initiative; excellent extracurriculars; TOEFL score terrific.
Weaknesses: Academics a bit on the low side, and GMAT is low for your pool (Male Indian Engineer)
How to improve your case? A higher GMAT will help.
I think you have a good chance, though, because while you are an engineer, you aren’t IT, and you have strong leadership, so you need to work that and differentiate yourself.

I had an Indian candidate with a similar profile accepted this year to Yale and Tuck, so those might be good schools to try – or if not them, it should give you a sense of where to shoot. However he had a higher GMAT. Other options: Darden, Tepper, McCombs, Cornell…
Assuming you are staying in oil, some popular choices for that field are: Texas A&M, Rice University and U Texas at Austin.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 08:26
Dear Aringo, kindly ask you to evaluate my profile.

Target schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton.

Age: 27.
Country: Russian Federation.
Work experience: Procter & Gamble and BCG.
GPA: 4,92 out of 5,00 Russian scale.
GMAT: 710 (49/37).
Extras: had a small successful business with 5 subordinates.

Assuming good essays and recommendations, what are my chances with current GMAT score?

I've heard that better scores are expected from management consultants, but I do not want to invest more time in GMAT if it will not increase my chances significantly.

So, to wrap up:

1) what are my current chances approximately?
2) how they will change if I will add 20 points to my GMAT? 40?

Thanks a lot in advance.
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 01:01
DenisFilatov wrote:
Dear Aringo, kindly ask you to evaluate my profile.

Target schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton.

Age: 27.
Country: Russian Federation.
Work experience: Procter & Gamble and BCG.
GPA: 4,92 out of 5,00 Russian scale.
GMAT: 710 (49/37).
Extras: had a small successful business with 5 subordinates.

Assuming good essays and recommendations, what are my chances with current GMAT score?

I've heard that better scores are expected from management consultants, but I do not want to invest more time in GMAT if it will not increase my chances significantly.

So, to wrap up:

1) what are my current chances approximately?
2) how they will change if I will add 20 points to my GMAT? 40?

Thanks a lot in advance.


Hi Denis,

Your score is enough to get in with the right profile and essays. I personally believe that a higher score may win you extra points with Stanford, possibly with Wharton… With Harvard, it’s more about the leadership you can show. You haven’t mentioned extracurricular activities; I’m hoping you have some there as well. The business sounds amazing, great leadership/managerial experience. Not sure what you do or did for the 2 corporations; am hoping it was good business/managerial experience as well.

Remember these schools are tough for anyone; you should consider adding 1 or 2 easier ones as well… Columbia… Chicago… perhaps Ross.

Good luck!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 15:14
Hi Aringo - thanks for your help!

As I'm putting my application together to apply INSEAD's January for 2017, I concern about my low GMAT score, especially low in verbal. Let me know whether you recommend to take GMAT again, though I really want to avoid it....

Here's my profile -

Asian (US Citizen)
Age: 31
GMAT: 660 (80%) (Q49 V32; 79th and 66% percentile)
CFA
GPA. 3.6 (4.0 finance major) from Top 20 US business school (graduated at 25 as I had to pay my tuition as well as support my parents. I did work at restaurant, gas station, liquor store, construction - basically whatever I could get paid. I had to postpone couple semesters to save money).
Work Experiences:
Big 4 consulting doing corporate finance for 2 years
Asset Management for 4 years
I'm currently making 20%-30% more than post MBA's in financial services
I want to get a job at global asset management role in Asia after INSEAD - not picking stocks or building portfolios, but more like a management/relationship role. I speak English and Korean very well...

Based on my research, I concern about my gmat score as INSEAD cares a lot about 75/75 split...My verbal is slightly lower than that. I know it's hard to tell from a high level summary of my profile, but do you think I have a good chance? Of course, I will do my best to put a good application package...
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 04:44
nyeco wrote:
Hi Aringo - thanks for your help!

As I'm putting my application together to apply INSEAD's January for 2017, I concern about my low GMAT score, especially low in verbal. Let me know whether you recommend to take GMAT again, though I really want to avoid it....

Here's my profile -

Asian (US Citizen)
Age: 31
GMAT: 660 (80%) (Q49 V32; 79th and 66% percentile)
CFA
GPA. 3.6 (4.0 finance major) from Top 20 US business school (graduated at 25 as I had to pay my tuition as well as support my parents. I did work at restaurant, gas station, liquor store, construction - basically whatever I could get paid. I had to postpone couple semesters to save money).
Work Experiences:
Big 4 consulting doing corporate finance for 2 years
Asset Management for 4 years
I'm currently making 20%-30% more than post MBA's in financial services
I want to get a job at global asset management role in Asia after INSEAD - not picking stocks or building portfolios, but more like a management/relationship role. I speak English and Korean very well...

Based on my research, I concern about my gmat score as INSEAD cares a lot about 75/75 split...My verbal is slightly lower than that. I know it's hard to tell from a high level summary of my profile, but do you think I have a good chance? Of course, I will do my best to put a good application package...


Hi, I assume you mean you are applying for the J-term that starts in 2017, and shooting for second round, April 20 deadline?
I understand that’s not a lot of time…
BUT – I do think that applying with a 660 GMAT is a big risk. It’s possible you might get in… you have great relevant work experience, and if there’s good leadership experience in your past, good extracurriculars and good international experience, then you certainly have a chance. But again, RISKY. If you think you can raise the score, then definitely go for it.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2549
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 06:28
Hello team Aringo
And HOWDIEEEE.. to anyone who reads this...!!

Now I have a very specific situation (thats what i think ) so i am submitting my info to which i would love to hear from anyone who has the adequate knowledge to address my concerns
Heres my BACKGROUND

10th grade=> 73%
12th grade => 74% (a science student)

Then i took an year off as i did not get into the a decent engineering college..Trust me here- i got into many colleges but all of them were Pretty much CRAP (sorry for the curse but i am being bluntly honest here)
In the mean time I assisted my father during the day and studied during night..I am not sure that experience will count for business schools nevertheless i am very proud that i did that as at an early age i got to understand as to how someone who runs an industry actually functions..
The Gap year proved fruitful as i got into GGSIPU Delhi plus i got a pretty good and a decorated college in the Capital city..
Engineering was Good in fact great ..

Aggregate=> 71%(B.Tech In Information tech)
Now to be honest with you guys i was working with my father during my engineering years as well ..I would literally pick up documents and do other chores for him (Yes He Paid Me too)

Here is the real problem why i wrote this piece =>
My age is 23 years and 330 days
I will be 24 next month..!!


I graduated in June 2015..
And from DAY 1 i have been working with my father in our Family business..
Initially i was hesitant to join him as i was an IT engineer and my family is into Footwear business. Then I started to love my job [Common we make shoes and other footwear's for a living. Who would not love that right :) ]
Now almost an year later i feel like i need to grow my business outreach..
Trust me when i say this - Work is Fine..But the glitch is => "i want to take my family Business to places" Actually i want that to be Awesome instead of just Fine (sorry for the choice of words )
Hence i need an MBA..
And to much of my surprise my father stands right by me in this decision..! In fact He told me that its a very mature move..!!

I know most of you might think its too early for an MBA
But honestly guys Waiting for another 2 or 3 years will not take my business anywhere .It will be in a stand still.

Plus i think i have the added advantage of working with my father in my initial GAP year where i assisted him if it counts.

So it goes without saying => I DON'T ONLY WANT AN MBA ; I NEED AN MBA..!!

secondly i am a bit confused about this work experience thing ..!!
Most of the business schools require 2 years of work experience in there applicants ..
What does 2 years mean?
till the program actually starts or till the time you fill out your application
If i apply in 2016 for fall 2017 admissions then by the time i actually start my school in September i will be having 2 years and 2 months of experience.. I guess that would do..???

WHAT ARE THE SCHOOLS I CAN TARGET ???

Top 20 can i get in ?
Okay Top30?
Top40?
i am flexible as long as it in the Top 40-45
Common Guys Help me get into top 40 at-least..!!!! I don't want to wait ..!!
I am into manufacturing shoes and other footwear so anything related to marketing and advertising would be Fabulous ..Plus i like Advertising.
Now if (only if) i wait another year( which probably would not do any good to my industry ) then will it increase my chances of getting admitted..

GMAT => Appearing this October..I think i can get a good score..i will try for 700 maybe ..I will Dig that (i have started preparing)

now to the most important part=>

Community services => I am an active part of an Organisation which rescues street dogs and treats them until they are healthy..I have been a part of this organisation from my engineering days ..the reason i do it it i honestly believe in the work we do..We organise dog shows too..

Positions held => "I am not given any designations actually .. I am responsible for marketing and supply ..Plus sometimes manufacturing too. Family business comes with several added responsibilities too :)
The Post MBA goals => " I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO MY HOME COUNTRY THE DAY AFTER I GET AN MBA . Off course i would like to do an internship however..But apart from that i have one any only one vision that is to Do Justice to my family business and take it to a level it deserves"

ANYONE WHO READS THIS Please Feel free TO POST any suggestions You guys Have for me... It will be really helpful..

Also i know that chetan2u Vyshak and Abhishek009 are Mathematics Wizards/Gmat experts and not admission consultants .But given that they have been super awesome in replying to every query i post(or anyone posts) i would love to hear from you guys as to what should i do..!! Any Advice guys?

Love and respect to everyone
Stone Cold


P.S => i am posting on multiple forums a i am looking for any advices i can get
_________________
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 02:56
stonecold wrote:
Hello team Aringo
And HOWDIEEEE.. to anyone who reads this...!!

Now I have a very specific situation (thats what i think ) so i am submitting my info to which i would love to hear from anyone who has the adequate knowledge to address my concerns
Heres my BACKGROUND

10th grade=> 73%
12th grade => 74% (a science student)

Then i took an year off as i did not get into the a decent engineering college..Trust me here- i got into many colleges but all of them were Pretty much CRAP (sorry for the curse but i am being bluntly honest here)
In the mean time I assisted my father during the day and studied during night..I am not sure that experience will count for business schools nevertheless i am very proud that i did that as at an early age i got to understand as to how someone who runs an industry actually functions..
The Gap year proved fruitful as i got into GGSIPU Delhi plus i got a pretty good and a decorated college in the Capital city..
Engineering was Good in fact great ..

Aggregate=> 71%(B.Tech In Information tech)
Now to be honest with you guys i was working with my father during my engineering years as well ..I would literally pick up documents and do other chores for him (Yes He Paid Me too)

Here is the real problem why i wrote this piece =>
My age is 23 years and 330 days
I will be 24 next month..!!


I graduated in June 2015..
And from DAY 1 i have been working with my father in our Family business..
Initially i was hesitant to join him as i was an IT engineer and my family is into Footwear business. Then I started to love my job [Common we make shoes and other footwear's for a living. Who would not love that right :) ]
Now almost an year later i feel like i need to grow my business outreach..
Trust me when i say this - Work is Fine..But the glitch is => "i want to take my family Business to places" Actually i want that to be Awesome instead of just Fine (sorry for the choice of words )
Hence i need an MBA..
And to much of my surprise my father stands right by me in this decision..! In fact He told me that its a very mature move..!!

I know most of you might think its too early for an MBA
But honestly guys Waiting for another 2 or 3 years will not take my business anywhere .It will be in a stand still.

Plus i think i have the added advantage of working with my father in my initial GAP year where i assisted him if it counts.

So it goes without saying => I DON'T ONLY WANT AN MBA ; I NEED AN MBA..!!

secondly i am a bit confused about this work experience thing ..!!
Most of the business schools require 2 years of work experience in there applicants ..
What does 2 years mean?
till the program actually starts or till the time you fill out your application
If i apply in 2016 for fall 2017 admissions then by the time i actually start my school in September i will be having 2 years and 2 months of experience.. I guess that would do..???

WHAT ARE THE SCHOOLS I CAN TARGET ???

Top 20 can i get in ?
Okay Top30?
Top40?
i am flexible as long as it in the Top 40-45
Common Guys Help me get into top 40 at-least..!!!! I don't want to wait ..!!
I am into manufacturing shoes and other footwear so anything related to marketing and advertising would be Fabulous ..Plus i like Advertising.
Now if (only if) i wait another year( which probably would not do any good to my industry ) then will it increase my chances of getting admitted..

GMAT => Appearing this October..I think i can get a good score..i will try for 700 maybe ..I will Dig that (i have started preparing)

now to the most important part=>

Community services => I am an active part of an Organisation which rescues street dogs and treats them until they are healthy..I have been a part of this organisation from my engineering days ..the reason i do it it i honestly believe in the work we do..We organise dog shows too..

Positions held => "I am not given any designations actually .. I am responsible for marketing and supply ..Plus sometimes manufacturing too. Family business comes with several added responsibilities too :)
The Post MBA goals => " I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO MY HOME COUNTRY THE DAY AFTER I GET AN MBA . Off course i would like to do an internship however..But apart from that i have one any only one vision that is to Do Justice to my family business and take it to a level it deserves"

ANYONE WHO READS THIS Please Feel free TO POST any suggestions You guys Have for me... It will be really helpful..

Also i know that chetan2u Vyshak and Abhishek009 are Mathematics Wizards/Gmat experts and not admission consultants .But given that they have been super awesome in replying to every query i post(or anyone posts) i would love to hear from you guys as to what should i do..!! Any Advice guys?

Love and respect to everyone
Stone Cold


P.S => i am posting on multiple forums a i am looking for any advices i can get


Hi Stone Cold,

You’ve written quite a bit, so my responses are in order of the details you provided, okay?

1. High school grades and experience are irrelevant for MBA applications – they won’t go on your resume or application itself.
2. If your father owns/runs a successful business, that could be very useful for your applications. Certainly working for the family business is relevant for the CV.
3. If you are in love with the family business and want to grow it – that’s great, it’s a wonderful goal to have. And you can write a beautiful story I think about studying engineering, but over the years falling in love with the business.
4. Two years’ work experience means by the time the program begins – in your example, September 2017.
5. About your chances at different schools, at the bottom of this post you will see a link to a free chances calculator – try that and see what it tells you; there are many parameters involved.
6. GMAT is very important – you are an Indian male engineer, which puts you in a very overrepresented applicant pool. Even though you are going for manufacturing, you still want to get that GMAT up as high as possible.
7. The volunteer work sounds great – wonderful aspect of your application.
8. You should decide on your position/role in the family business and stick with it; can have a few different designations, like a rotational job to get to know the company… also think about at least one promotion.
9. There are several programs especially for family business people. For example, Columbia January term is a bit shorter than other full time programs and has no internship. You haven’t mentioned US, Europe or Asia, but if we consider the whole world, ESADE in Barcelona is a good option; Johnson GSM at Cornell; Kellogg SoM; IMD, INSEAD, London Business School and Wharton.
10. Best of success to you!

Regards,

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2549
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 03:11
Aringo wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Hello team Aringo
And HOWDIEEEE.. to anyone who reads this...!!

Now I have a very specific situation (thats what i think ) so i am submitting my info to which i would love to hear from anyone who has the adequate knowledge to address my concerns
Heres my BACKGROUND

10th grade=> 73%
12th grade => 74% (a science student)

Then i took an year off as i did not get into the a decent engineering college..Trust me here- i got into many colleges but all of them were Pretty much CRAP (sorry for the curse but i am being bluntly honest here)
In the mean time I assisted my father during the day and studied during night..I am not sure that experience will count for business schools nevertheless i am very proud that i did that as at an early age i got to understand as to how someone who runs an industry actually functions..
The Gap year proved fruitful as i got into GGSIPU Delhi plus i got a pretty good and a decorated college in the Capital city..
Engineering was Good in fact great ..

Aggregate=> 71%(B.Tech In Information tech)
Now to be honest with you guys i was working with my father during my engineering years as well ..I would literally pick up documents and do other chores for him (Yes He Paid Me too)

Here is the real problem why i wrote this piece =>
My age is 23 years and 330 days
I will be 24 next month..!!


I graduated in June 2015..
And from DAY 1 i have been working with my father in our Family business..
Initially i was hesitant to join him as i was an IT engineer and my family is into Footwear business. Then I started to love my job [Common we make shoes and other footwear's for a living. Who would not love that right :) ]
Now almost an year later i feel like i need to grow my business outreach..
Trust me when i say this - Work is Fine..But the glitch is => "i want to take my family Business to places" Actually i want that to be Awesome instead of just Fine (sorry for the choice of words )
Hence i need an MBA..
And to much of my surprise my father stands right by me in this decision..! In fact He told me that its a very mature move..!!

I know most of you might think its too early for an MBA
But honestly guys Waiting for another 2 or 3 years will not take my business anywhere .It will be in a stand still.

Plus i think i have the added advantage of working with my father in my initial GAP year where i assisted him if it counts.

So it goes without saying => I DON'T ONLY WANT AN MBA ; I NEED AN MBA..!!

secondly i am a bit confused about this work experience thing ..!!
Most of the business schools require 2 years of work experience in there applicants ..
What does 2 years mean?
till the program actually starts or till the time you fill out your application
If i apply in 2016 for fall 2017 admissions then by the time i actually start my school in September i will be having 2 years and 2 months of experience.. I guess that would do..???

WHAT ARE THE SCHOOLS I CAN TARGET ???

Top 20 can i get in ?
Okay Top30?
Top40?
i am flexible as long as it in the Top 40-45
Common Guys Help me get into top 40 at-least..!!!! I don't want to wait ..!!
I am into manufacturing shoes and other footwear so anything related to marketing and advertising would be Fabulous ..Plus i like Advertising.
Now if (only if) i wait another year( which probably would not do any good to my industry ) then will it increase my chances of getting admitted..

GMAT => Appearing this October..I think i can get a good score..i will try for 700 maybe ..I will Dig that (i have started preparing)

now to the most important part=>

Community services => I am an active part of an Organisation which rescues street dogs and treats them until they are healthy..I have been a part of this organisation from my engineering days ..the reason i do it it i honestly believe in the work we do..We organise dog shows too..

Positions held => "I am not given any designations actually .. I am responsible for marketing and supply ..Plus sometimes manufacturing too. Family business comes with several added responsibilities too :)
The Post MBA goals => " I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO MY HOME COUNTRY THE DAY AFTER I GET AN MBA . Off course i would like to do an internship however..But apart from that i have one any only one vision that is to Do Justice to my family business and take it to a level it deserves"

ANYONE WHO READS THIS Please Feel free TO POST any suggestions You guys Have for me... It will be really helpful..

Also i know that chetan2u Vyshak and Abhishek009 are Mathematics Wizards/Gmat experts and not admission consultants .But given that they have been super awesome in replying to every query i post(or anyone posts) i would love to hear from you guys as to what should i do..!! Any Advice guys?

Love and respect to everyone
Stone Cold


P.S => i am posting on multiple forums a i am looking for any advices i can get


Hi Stone Cold,

You’ve written quite a bit, so my responses are in order of the details you provided, okay?

1. High school grades and experience are irrelevant for MBA applications – they won’t go on your resume or application itself.
2. If your father owns/runs a successful business, that could be very useful for your applications. Certainly working for the family business is relevant for the CV.
3. If you are in love with the family business and want to grow it – that’s great, it’s a wonderful goal to have. And you can write a beautiful story I think about studying engineering, but over the years falling in love with the business.
4. Two years’ work experience means by the time the program begins – in your example, September 2017.
5. About your chances at different schools, at the bottom of this post you will see a link to a free chances calculator – try that and see what it tells you; there are many parameters involved.
6. GMAT is very important – you are an Indian male engineer, which puts you in a very overrepresented applicant pool. Even though you are going for manufacturing, you still want to get that GMAT up as high as possible.
7. The volunteer work sounds great – wonderful aspect of your application.
8. You should decide on your position/role in the family business and stick with it; can have a few different designations, like a rotational job to get to know the company… also think about at least one promotion.
9. There are several programs especially for family business people. For example, Columbia January term is a bit shorter than other full time programs and has no internship. You haven’t mentioned US, Europe or Asia, but if we consider the whole world, ESADE in Barcelona is a good option; Johnson GSM at Cornell; Kellogg SoM; IMD, INSEAD, London Business School and Wharton.
10. Best of success to you!

Regards,

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image




Thank you for such a wonderful insight .
I am aiming for only US based schools.
I am flexible in ranking And any school in top 30 would do :)
And i have another question for you => I have very much made up my mind to fill the applications this year. But if i wait another year and decide to apply the next one Will it increase my chances ? i cannot delay it more than that . Also how about applying this year and if i don't get in i apply next year too.
I am not sure how will the B schools compare me with the other ""Working in Multinationals organization"" type of candidates.
Thats what is worrying me the most.


Thanks and regards
Stone Cold
_________________
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 01:21
Hi, waiting a year might increase your chances; but it might not – it depends on how you would use that year, and what accomplishments you would have that you currently don’t. If you are rejected this year, you can re-apply the following year; it would be wise to do some research to make sure that the school is friendly to reapplicants. Most are, some aren’t.

I recommend working with a reputable consulting company to help you strategize, position yourself, choose the schools wisely, etc.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Oct 2015
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 07:53
Hi,

I will try to keep it short.
Xth : 96.8% (Zone Topper)
XII: 92.8%
B.Tech in Mining Engineering: 8.73/10 ( Gold Medalist and Institute medal for exceptional academic record ) from IIT, Varanasi
GMAT 740 (Q50, V39, AWA:6, IR:6)
3 papers (2 National conference, 1 International Conference) , 1 Book Chapter (Springer, Introduction chapter)

Have held some good position of responsibility during my college time such as Placement Representative, Departmental Undergrad committee Senior Representative and have also participated and led my team in some National level competitions such as CIMA Global Business competition, PDMA design and innovation contest etc.

I had my startup during my final year but sadly it could not take off and I ended up joining TATA STEEL.

I am currently working in TATA STEEL India as a Manager, Mining Operations and have about 1 year of work expn. During my time here, I have undertaken about 3 improvement projects (on critical issues of Mining). I will be having two when I will join a MBA Program next year and am thinking of applying in R1 this year.

I have some good amount of voluntary experience, not just normal contributing stuff but some real projects ( 2 ) and participatory rural appraisals.

My question is should I be actually thinking of applying this year in schools such as Sloan,Booth, Yale, Columbia? Do I have a chance or should I bide my time and apply next year that is in 2017.

Please do tell if you need some additional info to comment on my question!

PS : Really liked your site and your admission chances calculator! It tells me I have a good chance given that I engage with you guys in my application! :P :-D
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 08:28
akashsriv1993 wrote:
Hi,

I will try to keep it short.
Xth : 96.8% (Zone Topper)
XII: 92.8%
B.Tech in Mining Engineering: 8.73/10 ( Gold Medalist and Institute medal for exceptional academic record ) from IIT, Varanasi
GMAT 740 (Q50, V39, AWA:6, IR:6)
3 papers (2 National conference, 1 International Conference) , 1 Book Chapter (Springer, Introduction chapter)

Have held some good position of responsibility during my college time such as Placement Representative, Departmental Undergrad committee Senior Representative and have also participated and led my team in some National level competitions such as CIMA Global Business competition, PDMA design and innovation contest etc.

I had my startup during my final year but sadly it could not take off and I ended up joining TATA STEEL.

I am currently working in TATA STEEL India as a Manager, Mining Operations and have about 1 year of work expn. During my time here, I have undertaken about 3 improvement projects (on critical issues of Mining). I will be having two when I will join a MBA Program next year and am thinking of applying in R1 this year.

I have some good amount of voluntary experience, not just normal contributing stuff but some real projects ( 2 ) and participatory rural appraisals.

My question is should I be actually thinking of applying this year in schools such as Sloan,Booth, Yale, Columbia? Do I have a chance or should I bide my time and apply next year that is in 2017.

Please do tell if you need some additional info to comment on my question!

PS : Really liked your site and your admission chances calculator! It tells me I have a good chance given that I engage with you guys in my application! :P :-D


Hi, your experience looks great – academic is good, and for someone so young, already to have managerial experience sounds fantastic.
Even the startup is good – definitely include on the resume or in your essays, it will help you.
No mention made of extracurricular activities; I hope you have some.

Now – you do seem a bit young/inexperienced to apply for an MBA. My suggestion would be to do some research and see if the schools you are interested in are interested in someone with so little field experience. Another year will make you better seasoned, you’ll have more experience with which to understand the classroom theory; you’ll be closer to your classmates in age, etc. You also will have the opportunity to achieve more; achievements on your resume are very important, as are promotions; with only a year of experience you haven’t had much time to rack them up; in which case, what will you show on paper? CV and essays both?

I would consider applying next year.

Good luck!!!

Joy

--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Oct 2015
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 01:46
Hi, I have just pm'ed you my detailed profile!!!

I hope you can give me some thoughts on it!

Thanks again!
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 00:52
Hi, we already sent our answer via PM.
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 05:19
Hi Aringo,

I am writing to you after getting rejects from 3 schools (LBS, Columbia (both round 2) and INSEAD (Round 1))
I wonder whether I've been applying to a right mix of b-schools or not ?

Nationality : Indian
Age: 26
GMAT: 680 (84 %ile) (Q47 V35; 67% and 73% )
GPA. 3.7 - Bachelors of Business Administration ; IP university

Work Experiences:
Senior Consultant (Operations consulting) with a Big 4 (Associated for nearly 5 years ; 3 promotions)
Worked 1 year full-time and 1 year part-time with a not-for-profit in child education sector

Extra curricular : Have been involved in dramatics and been doing theater for almost 12 years

I want to transition to a strategy consulting role (preferably with M/B/B, pretty open to working with big 4s as well, but in a different geography)

I am particularly interested in US and Singapore b-schools. (Already applied and got a ding from LBS and INSEAD, only schools I would prefer in EU region)

I would like to know the right mix of schools I should be applying to ; schools where consulting experience is valued and I could be a competitive/ strong applicant. Appreciate your help !

Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 08:03
saukap02 wrote:
Hi Aringo,

I am writing to you after getting rejects from 3 schools (LBS, Columbia (both round 2) and INSEAD (Round 1))
I wonder whether I've been applying to a right mix of b-schools or not ?

Nationality : Indian
Age: 26
GMAT: 680 (84 %ile) (Q47 V35; 67% and 73% )
GPA. 3.7 - Bachelors of Business Administration ; IP university

Work Experiences:
Senior Consultant (Operations consulting) with a Big 4 (Associated for nearly 5 years ; 3 promotions)
Worked 1 year full-time and 1 year part-time with a not-for-profit in child education sector

Extra curricular : Have been involved in dramatics and been doing theater for almost 12 years

I want to transition to a strategy consulting role (preferably with M/B/B, pretty open to working with big 4s as well, but in a different geography)

I am particularly interested in US and Singapore b-schools. (Already applied and got a ding from LBS and INSEAD, only schools I would prefer in EU region)

I would like to know the right mix of schools I should be applying to ; schools where consulting experience is valued and I could be a competitive/ strong applicant. Appreciate your help !

Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks.


Hi, thanks for checking in with us. I’m sorry to hear about the dings; but you are young and have time to reapply or look elsewhere.
First of all, your GMAT is way too low for someone coming from India.
The fact that you come from the world of business and not engineering is a bit of a help, but still…
So firstly I highly recommend that you sign up for a good course and get your GMAT up over 700.

That being said… you should be looking at top 20-30.
If you read around you will see MANY different lists suggesting the best schools right now for consulting careers.
Some of the schools that get mentioned are INSEAD, IE, Kellogg, Ross, Wharton, Tuck, Columbia, Stanford, Anderson, Sloan, HBS, Booth, Duke, Johnson and Darden.
Of the ones on that list, I’d go for the less competitive ones… Anderson, Johnson, Darden, maybe Duke.
Anderson in particular might be a good choice, especially with the theatre background.

If you are indeed willing to go for a career with the Big 4, then you might consider these less competitive yet excellent schools:
Emory, McCombs and Kenan Flagler.

I’m not as familiar with the Singapore schools and which are the best for a consulting career.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 16:12
I'm a candidate with (I think) a strong international profile, I have lived in six countries and worked in four (NL, UK, CH and USA). I'd appreciate a profile review. My main concern is that my 710 my be considered somewhat low for my target institutions, but I think I have a strong profile. Thank you!

Background:

Work experience: 3 years post-graduation: leadership development program alumni at tier 2-3 aerospace and defense subcontractor, post LDP 1 year of business transformation consulting
Add'l WE: 1 year engineering R&D internship at Nestle

Grad school/major: University of Bath (England - top 2 Aerospace Eng school); Master of Engineering (no undergrad - straight masters degree program)

Race/nationality: Hispanic, dual USA/Poland citizenship

Sex: M

Extra curriculars: iCouldBe mentor (targeting towards at-risk minority students in high school); Strength and conditioning coach (certified, but not professional, helping friends/family achieve fitness goals)

Languages: English fluent, Spanish/French intermediate/basic working proficiency

Stats:
GMAT Score: 710, Q47/V41, IR8, AWA unknown (score report pending)
Grad GPA: uppper second class honors (just shy of first class honors - the top grade)

MBA Info:
Goal of MBA: move into corporate strategy for large airline or f100 company, long term EVP or similar status in a strategy role
Target schools: HBS, Wharton, Columbia, NYU (safety), Booth
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 01:57
Shazriki wrote:
I'm a candidate with (I think) a strong international profile, I have lived in six countries and worked in four (NL, UK, CH and USA). I'd appreciate a profile review. My main concern is that my 710 my be considered somewhat low for my target institutions, but I think I have a strong profile. Thank you!

Background:

Work experience: 3 years post-graduation: leadership development program alumni at tier 2-3 aerospace and defense subcontractor, post LDP 1 year of business transformation consulting
Add'l WE: 1 year engineering R&D internship at Nestle

Grad school/major: University of Bath (England - top 2 Aerospace Eng school); Master of Engineering (no undergrad - straight masters degree program)

Race/nationality: Hispanic, dual USA/Poland citizenship

Sex: M

Extra curriculars: iCouldBe mentor (targeting towards at-risk minority students in high school); Strength and conditioning coach (certified, but not professional, helping friends/family achieve fitness goals)

Languages: English fluent, Spanish/French intermediate/basic working proficiency

Stats:
GMAT Score: 710, Q47/V41, IR8, AWA unknown (score report pending)
Grad GPA: uppper second class honors (just shy of first class honors - the top grade)

MBA Info:
Goal of MBA: move into corporate strategy for large airline or f100 company, long term EVP or similar status in a strategy role
Target schools: HBS, Wharton, Columbia, NYU (safety), Booth


Hi, your profile looks good; I imagine there are more things in there to be mined. The extracurricular seems a bit weak; perhaps there were more activities during university.
The LDP is good – but do you have any actual leadership experience anywhere? Need to look for it… Love the international experience; academics strong.
If you think you can improve your GMAT, definitely try doing so, if not, you certainly have a chance.

Good luck!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 05:50
Aringo wrote:
Shazriki wrote:
I'm a candidate with (I think) a strong international profile, I have lived in six countries and worked in four (NL, UK, CH and USA). I'd appreciate a profile review. My main concern is that my 710 my be considered somewhat low for my target institutions, but I think I have a strong profile. Thank you!

Background:

Work experience: 3 years post-graduation: leadership development program alumni at tier 2-3 aerospace and defense subcontractor, post LDP 1 year of business transformation consulting
Add'l WE: 1 year engineering R&D internship at Nestle

Grad school/major: University of Bath (England - top 2 Aerospace Eng school); Master of Engineering (no undergrad - straight masters degree program)

Race/nationality: Hispanic, dual USA/Poland citizenship

Sex: M

Extra curriculars: iCouldBe mentor (targeting towards at-risk minority students in high school); Strength and conditioning coach (certified, but not professional, helping friends/family achieve fitness goals)

Languages: English fluent, Spanish/French intermediate/basic working proficiency

Stats:
GMAT Score: 710, Q47/V41, IR8, AWA unknown (score report pending)
Grad GPA: uppper second class honors (just shy of first class honors - the top grade)

MBA Info:
Goal of MBA: move into corporate strategy for large airline or f100 company, long term EVP or similar status in a strategy role
Target schools: HBS, Wharton, Columbia, NYU (safety), Booth


Hi, your profile looks good; I imagine there are more things in there to be mined. The extracurricular seems a bit weak; perhaps there were more activities during university.
The LDP is good – but do you have any actual leadership experience anywhere? Need to look for it… Love the international experience; academics strong.
If you think you can improve your GMAT, definitely try doing so, if not, you certainly have a chance.

Good luck!!

Joy



Hi there, many thanks for your fast response. I realize my work experience description was somewhat sparse.

The EC is bit sparse - I just have to accept that!

Leadership has all been in a project management capacity in the business transformation role. Leading work streams of 5-10 people in order to improve business processes and improve financial metrics. Challenging role since you do not have formal authority and have to influence heavily to get things done. In those role I've had to influence both upward and downward on the management chain. Through my work the potential benefits that I have identified total over $25M dollars.

I have also led several projects with v: during my work at nestle I co-led a project to mitigate drought risk that had strong implications at a nearby manufacturing facility for being able to continue production. We were successful and the factory was able to continue production through the drought and heat wave.

I wonder if the additional information helps in your brief assessment?
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 1017
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 01:46
Shazriki wrote:
Hi there, many thanks for your fast response. I realize my work experience description was somewhat sparse.

The EC is bit sparse - I just have to accept that!

Leadership has all been in a project management capacity in the business transformation role. Leading work streams of 5-10 people in order to improve business processes and improve financial metrics. Challenging role since you do not have formal authority and have to influence heavily to get things done. In those role I've had to influence both upward and downward on the management chain. Through my work the potential benefits that I have identified total over $25M dollars.

I have also led several projects with v: during my work at nestle I co-led a project to mitigate drought risk that had strong implications at a nearby manufacturing facility for being able to continue production. We were successful and the factory was able to continue production through the drought and heat wave.

I wonder if the additional information helps in your brief assessment?


Hi, it does help – and indeed will strengthen your application.
Make sure that your applications include stories of these professional successes and leadership experiences; and that your recommenders stress your leadership potential.

Good luck!!!

Joy


--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Image
_________________
https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720   [#permalink] 27 May 2016, 01:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  51    Next  [ 1020 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne