Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashutosh1617 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for your reply.
The company doesn't have a website. We don't really need one as all our interactions are 1 on 1.
I was 6th in my class. I know 2.76 sounds on the low side but my university had a strange way of awarding CGPA. The topper in my class had 3.4 with 88% and i had 76%.

Yes, running the company is a full time job. But i try and find time for other activities as well. I'm living in the capital of India, so to be social is as necessary as to be successful. The french course i'm doing is an online course, so it gives me a great flexibility. Being associated with Keyan is something very personal to me and i try to help as much as i can. The benchmarking project was something i did back in my graduation days. And yes, being a member of 6 clubs and VP of one is stressful but i'm surrounded with some very good friends and colleagues, so that helps.

I also wanted your advice on my chances in MSCM program by Ross. The first 2 deadlines are gone and the 3rd deadline is in August. Is it worth applying in the last round, especially me being an international student?

Thank You

Regards
Ashutosh Aggarwal

Hi, you might consider putting together a website, or Facebook page, or at least an in-depth LinkedIn page, for credibility.
Very important then to write that you were ranked 6th in your class… and out of how many, I guess, unless there were only 10.
I am not familiar with the master’s in supply chain management at Ross, but I think you are a strong candidate, and unless they specifically say that international candidates can’t apply third round, then why not? I don’t see that you lose anything by trying, and it could be a great warm up to next year’s applications.
Regards,
Joy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Thank You so much Joy for your in-depth review of my profile. It really gives me a confidence boost.
I was 6th out of 60 students. I intend to write about this in the optional essay provided by schools.
I have just asked a website developer and hopefully, within a week, the website will be up and running.
Thank you for your time once again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I have an experience of 4+ years in Indian IT industry

Roles and Responsibilities:-
->Responsible for gathering requirements & explaining it to my peers.
->Lead the development of many module.
->Leading a team of 2
->Have been awarded twice in my tenure.

Academics:-
77.6%-10th,
70%-12th,
67%-B.TECH(Electronics)from UPTU

Extra curricular:-
In college days I have helped in organizing Blood Donation and Education camps for poor.
In 2014, took part in campaigning for a leading political party.

Planning to appear for GMAT in January 2017.

Please suggest If joining an NGO and taking certification exams related to my domain and skills will be an added advantage?

Please evaluate my profile and suggest what should I do to stand out of the crowd, as many Indian Students have same profile.
Send PM
Expert Reply
shinyshiv wrote:
Hi,
I have an experience of 4+ years in Indian IT industry

Roles and Responsibilities:-
->Responsible for gathering requirements & explaining it to my peers.
->Lead the development of many module.
->Leading a team of 2
->Have been awarded twice in my tenure.

Academics:-
77.6%-10th,
70%-12th,
67%-B.TECH(Electronics)from UPTU

Extra curricular:-
In college days I have helped in organizing Blood Donation and Education camps for poor.
In 2014, took part in campaigning for a leading political party.

Planning to appear for GMAT in January 2017.

Please suggest If joining an NGO and taking certification exams related to my domain and skills will be an added advantage?

Please evaluate my profile and suggest what should I do to stand out of the crowd, as many Indian Students have same profile.

Hi there, thanks for your query. Indeed, you are in an extremely overpopulated pool, and will need to work very hard to distinguish yourself. The academics are not the strongest; you must try to truly excel in your GMAT – well over 700. The leadership at work is GREAT – definitely emphasize that throughout the application. That is one way you differentiate yourself from others. If you have any international experience, you should highlight that as well.

Your extracurricular activities are relatively weak compared to others; definitely join the NGO, if you want, and see if you can take on a leadership role there. I don’t believe that certifications are necessary. Best spend your time elsewhere.

Good luck!!!

Joy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am aiming for IIM A,B,C 1yr executive mba program beginning 2017.

My gmat - 640 (Q49) is too low (got 720,720 in gmatprep). Do I stand a chance with this score?

profile :
Topper in Class X, XII and BTech (all semesters) (CGPA 9.5/10)
MTech from IIT (CGPA 9.5/10)
PMP certified project management professional.
8+ years work experience in auto industry. working as team lead.
recommendations from two VPs from previous company

Please advise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Sir,
My name is Jai Singh, from India. Please guide as to what should be my next step.
GMAT 1st attempt yesterday : Score 730 (QA 50, VA 39, IR 8)
Undergrad % : 62% Bachelor of Engineering. I don't have a very good percentage, but from one of the top 10 colleges in India.
Work experience : 4yrs by fall 2017 (1yr corporate, 2 yrs in a couple of self started startups)

Sir I was expecting a score of more than 750, never scored less than 740 in the mocks, kaplan+manhattan+gmatprep.
I kind of messed up the verbal section as couldn't attempt all, was able to do only 35 questions, randomly marked the next 4 and couldn't even mark the last 2.
My target schools are the ivys, now i am really confused between whether to apply with these scores or to give another attempt.
If i do decide on giving other attempt, should i cancel my 730 score and then give the other attempt or should i keep these scores and just give 1 more?
If i do cancel my scores and give another attempt and for some reason i end up scoring less than 730, am i allowed to cancel that new low score and reinstate my previous better score? And in either case which is a preferable gmat score report, 2 attempts - 1st with 730 and 2nd with lets say 750 or just 1 attempt with 750 score.
Is 730 a sufficient score to get into ivys?

Please advise as soon as possible.
Thank You

Sincerely
Jai
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
removed

Originally posted by redski59 on 09 Jul 2016, 00:47.
Last edited by redski59 on 13 Oct 2016, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
judas420 wrote:
Hi,

My gmat - 640 (Q49) is too low (got 720,720 in gmatprep). Do I stand a chance with this score?

profile :

Please advise.

Hi there! From what I’ve read, 640 is on the low side for IIM; I would recommend that you retake it. While your profile looks good otherwise, in terms of grades & leadership experience, if I were you I’d want to increase my chances before applying.

Good luck!!

Joy
Send PM
Expert Reply
jai.singh21 wrote:
Hello Sir,
My name is Jai Singh, from India. Please guide as to what should be my next step.
GMAT 1st attempt yesterday : Score 730 (QA 50, VA 39, IR 8)
Undergrad % : 62% Bachelor of Engineering. I don't have a very good percentage, but from one of the top 10 colleges in India.
Work experience : 4yrs by fall 2017 (1yr corporate, 2 yrs in a couple of self started startups)

Sir I was expecting a score of more than 750, never scored less than 740 in the mocks, kaplan+manhattan+gmatprep.
I kind of messed up the verbal section as couldn't attempt all, was able to do only 35 questions, randomly marked the next 4 and couldn't even mark the last 2.
My target schools are the ivys, now i am really confused between whether to apply with these scores or to give another attempt.
If i do decide on giving other attempt, should i cancel my 730 score and then give the other attempt or should i keep these scores and just give 1 more?
If i do cancel my scores and give another attempt and for some reason i end up scoring less than 730, am i allowed to cancel that new low score and reinstate my previous better score? And in either case which is a preferable gmat score report, 2 attempts - 1st with 730 and 2nd with lets say 750 or just 1 attempt with 750 score.
Is 730 a sufficient score to get into ivys?

Please advise as soon as possible.
Thank You

Sincerely
Jai

Hi Jai,
I would not cancel your score; if you are able to score higher on the next attempt, the 730 will not hurt you. If you score lower, than you still have the 730.
In terms of your eligibility for top MBA programs, it will depend not only on your GMAT, but on your entire profile – leadership experience, extracurriculars, achievements at work, the uniqueness of your story, and many other aspects.
Wishing you success,

Joy
Send PM
Expert Reply
redski59 wrote:
Hello Aringo,

I am planning to apply for programs this Fall. I apologize if this seems long, but please bear with me.

About me:
Asian-American Male, U.S. citizen, 29 years old

Education:
B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering at a school currently ranked between #20-25, graduated 2009. 3.2 GPA (I had some terrible grades in my 2nd semester, which I attribute to working the night-shift at my on-campus job that semester)

I’ve also obtained a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential

GMAT:
710 (Q: 48, V: 38, IR: 5, AWA: 6)

Target Schools:
Kellogg, Fuqua, UCLA, Darden, Michigan, Georgetown

MBA Goal:
I would like to work in a general management or business strategy role. My target industries are transportation (airlines, railroads, etc.) or consumer products

Work:
6.5 years in litigation support consulting for a Big 4 firm. Started at the Entry-Level Associate level and promoted up to Manager level. However, I have been unemployed since March. We had a major error occur on my watch that almost lost us a major client. I took full responsibility for the error, and was terminated as a result :(

I’ve tried to reflect on what went wrong. My lesson learned was I tried to do too much and had perceived asking for help as a sign of weakness. It was a matter of time before I would slip-up, and unfortunately it was a bad enough slip-up to ruin my career at that firm.

Extracurriculars:
For the first few years after college, I was a regular volunteer at a soup kitchen and the Ronald McDonald House. I also led a couple community service projects at my firm, one to a hospital to read to children and another to clean up a local park. But after my first promotion, my job changed to 100% travel and with me working 60-80 hours/week, my extracurricular activity has been non-existent.

I am now trying to pursue an interest in producing documentaries. I’ve started my own production company and already have begun shooting for my first film, which I hope to have completed and released in the Fall. I’m not certain about monetization potential, but I do plan to try to get some value from advertising.

I’ve also sought to find a new job, but it has been hard to find a position at the same level and with the same responsibilities as I had before. I’m considering whether to focus on strengthening my extracurricular activities and on my documentary production for the next several months, or should I swallow my pride and take a lower-level position just to be employed? Or maybe even try a different line of work altogether? I am somewhat seriously considering a car salesman job, if anything to help strengthen my sales and marketing skills.

I appreciate any advice or feedback. Thanks!

Hi, that’s quite a story! The schools are going to ask why you left the job; if officially you had ‘resigned’ that would be different; but if you are going to have to write on the application that you were fired, that’s going to hurt you badly. If you can say you changed direction and wanted to go into film production, that could be interesting… especially if you get your current film funded. But then I would also reconsider my career goals if I were you – having changed careers so late in the game, I would suggest staying with something related to film or production for the purposes of your applications. If you can get someone at the former firm to write you a recommendation that will downplay what happened, that might also help.
About whether or not to take a lower-level position somewhere else, again, it needs to follow the story you are trying to build; if you decided to make a drastic career change and moved into something lower but in an industry you truly loved and now wish to pursue following the MBA, that’s a good line to take…

Good luck!

Joy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello, I would love your feedback on my application. I'm thinking of applying in 2018 or 2019 for MBA, then 2019 or 2020 for MPP/MPA.

1) Demographic: 22, Male, Nepal

2) Educational Background: BA (Hons) International Business Management, Top 15 British University,
GPA - 3.5 to 3.6 ~ U.S equivalent (No ranking available due to Uni. policy)
GRE - 326 (QR 164(88th%), VR 162 (90th%), AW 5.5 (98th%))

3) Work experience: 1 year Editor-in-Chief of a magazine responsible for over 50+ (mostly international) staff. Current.
4 month Consultant for a South East Asian government. Current. Led a team of 4 professionals.
1.5 years experience in local retail company. Previous. Led a team of 7.
1 month Internship at a top-3 bank in Nepal. Previous.
Founder of a social venture that works in over 7 countries. Still in initial stage though.

4) Extracurricular Activities: Extensive volunteering/leadership history over 6 years: earthquake relief efforts, environmental and climate change, habitat welfare and children rights.
Competitive mountain biker and Asian instruments player.
Fluent in 5, intermediate in 4 other languages. Traveled, lived or studied in 20+ countries.
Published a paper in an international journal. Writing a book currently.

5) Long term goals: Strategic Consulting/ Social entrepreneurship in developing countries preferably in South Asia, South East Asia or Pacific Islands.

6) Target Schools:
MBA: HBS, INSEAD, Saïd
MPP/MPA: HKS, Columbia SIPA, LSE, Oxford BSG

7) Assume that my LoR is expected to be really strong. and my unique personal story and journey will help make my app essays very, very competitive.

Obviously, everything is very briefly described here, including leadership roles and impact of work. My concerns are whether I should apply earlier than I intend to and if there is a possibility for any substantial scholarship. I am most troubled by my lack of extracurricular IN university (although I think my extracurricular outside of uni. offsets this).
Send PM
Expert Reply
intinah wrote:
Hello, I would love your feedback on my application. I'm thinking of applying in 2018 or 2019 for MBA, then 2019 or 2020 for MPP/MPA.

1) Demographic: 22, Male, Nepal

2) Educational Background: BA (Hons) International Business Management, Top 15 British University,
GPA - 3.5 to 3.6 ~ U.S equivalent (No ranking available due to Uni. policy)
GRE - 326 (QR 164(88th%), VR 162 (90th%), AW 5.5 (98th%))

3) Work experience: 1 year Editor-in-Chief of a magazine responsible for over 50+ (mostly international) staff. Current.
4 month Consultant for a South East Asian government. Current. Led a team of 4 professionals.
1.5 years experience in local retail company. Previous. Led a team of 7.
1 month Internship at a top-3 bank in Nepal. Previous.
Founder of a social venture that works in over 7 countries. Still in initial stage though.

4) Extracurricular Activities: Extensive volunteering/leadership history over 6 years: earthquake relief efforts, environmental and climate change, habitat welfare and children rights.
Competitive mountain biker and Asian instruments player.
Fluent in 5, intermediate in 4 other languages. Traveled, lived or studied in 20+ countries.
Published a paper in an international journal. Writing a book currently.

5) Long term goals: Strategic Consulting/ Social entrepreneurship in developing countries preferably in South Asia, South East Asia or Pacific Islands.

6) Target Schools:
MBA: HBS, INSEAD, Saïd
MPP/MPA: HKS, Columbia SIPA, LSE, Oxford BSG

7) Assume that my LoR is expected to be really strong. and my unique personal story and journey will help make my app essays very, very competitive.

Obviously, everything is very briefly described here, including leadership roles and impact of work. My concerns are whether I should apply earlier than I intend to and if there is a possibility for any substantial scholarship. I am most troubled by my lack of extracurricular IN university (although I think my extracurricular outside of uni. offsets this).

Hi!
First of all, you might also look into dual MBA/MPA programs. I know that NYU Stern/ Wagner School have a dual program. Also Harvard Business School/Kennedy School have one. I’m sure there are more.

The GRE is decent – converts to around 700 GMAT. Depending on how populated your demographic is, in applying to MBAs, it should be fine, or you might want to work to improve it in the coming years.

Your professional experience looks very good – that’s quite am impressive amount of leadership experience for someone of your age. You’ve had quite diverse experience in various industries; starting now I’d try to stay put and deepen into something, and make sure that it has direct correlation to your goals and reason for acquiring an MBA/MPP.

The extracurricular stuff, languages, etc. looks great – really distinguishes you. The goals seem right on the mark. I don’t see any concerns. As to whether to apply sooner rather than later, I suggest you reach out to some of the programs you are interested in, and talk to them directly. See if there will be any MBA fairs in your vicinity, or if you can fly out to one, and talk to admissions members to hear what they have to say. And definitely consider some of those dual programs out there – this can further differentiate you.

All the best,
Joy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Aringo wrote:
judas420 wrote:
Hi,

profile :

Please advise.

Hi there! From what I’ve read, 640 is on the low side for IIM; I would recommend that you retake it. While your profile looks good otherwise, in terms of grades & leadership experience, if I were you I’d want to increase my chances before applying.

Good luck!!

Joy

hi, thank you for your feedback

i have decided to retake the test

now,

will the iims consider the new score or old one or average ?
Send PM
Expert Reply
judas420 wrote:
Aringo wrote:
judas420 wrote:
Hi,

profile :

Please advise.

Good luck!!

Joy

hi, thank you for your feedback

i have decided to retake the test

now,

will the iims consider the new score or old one or average ?

Hi! That’s great. The school should take the highest score and relate to that.

Best of success,
Joy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q168 V160
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate what would be the score I need to achieve and the type of profile I will need to build to pursue an MBA with GMAT. I am yet to give my GMAT, and thinking of taking it in early 2017.

1. Demographic Information:
Nationality: Indian

2. Educational Background:
Undergrad Major: Civil Engineering
Undergrad College: NIT Surat (Ranked among top 15 engineering institutes in India)
GPA: 6.7/10 (I know its low)

3. Work Experience:
Worked as an Assistant Professor for 1 year in an engineering institute teaching college students.
At present, I have completed 4 years working for the Government of Gujarat(State), in Gujarat Water Supply and Sewerage Board at the post of Assistant Engineer. My department is very strict on hierarchy and almost everyone is stuck in a rut with promotions being awarded on seniority and not work-quality. My current work profile includes cross-checking projects and their implementation, developing action plans for my district regarding water supply, and rural public dealing.

4. Extracurricular:
Won College Level Dance competitions.

Hobbies: Dancing, Soap-making, Reading, Writing short-stories.

5. MBA Goals: I want to work for the consumer industry. I know this is completely opposite to what I am doing right now, but I really have this goal in mind and this is why I want to pursue an MBA.

Please guide me as what colleges, GMAT Score I should be looking at.

Thank You.
Send PM
Expert Reply
_SenbonZakura_ wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate what would be the score I need to achieve and the type of profile I will need to build to pursue an MBA with GMAT. I am yet to give my GMAT, and thinking of taking it in early 2017.

1. Demographic Information:
Nationality: Indian

2. Educational Background:
Undergrad Major: Civil Engineering
Undergrad College: NIT Surat (Ranked among top 15 engineering institutes in India)
GPA: 6.7/10 (I know its low)

3. Work Experience:
Worked as an Assistant Professor for 1 year in an engineering institute teaching college students.
At present, I have completed 4 years working for the Government of Gujarat(State), in Gujarat Water Supply and Sewerage Board at the post of Assistant Engineer. My department is very strict on hierarchy and almost everyone is stuck in a rut with promotions being awarded on seniority and not work-quality. My current work profile includes cross-checking projects and their implementation, developing action plans for my district regarding water supply, and rural public dealing.

4. Extracurricular:
Won College Level Dance competitions.

Hobbies: Dancing, Soap-making, Reading, Writing short-stories.

5. MBA Goals: I want to work for the consumer industry. I know this is completely opposite to what I am doing right now, but I really have this goal in mind and this is why I want to pursue an MBA.

Please guide me as what colleges, GMAT Score I should be looking at.

Thank You.

Hi There,

Thanks for writing to us. You will need to do some hard work to get your profile up – I see several weaknesses. 1) the low GPA 2) a job for several years with no promotions 3) not much leadership in your current position – unless it’s there and you simply didn’t mention it? 4) no current extra curricular activities 5) no international experience mentioned 6) goals unrelated to current experience

However – on the positive side: 1) As a woman, your chances are better. 2) The teaching position gives you some leadership/presentation experience 3) you still have a chance to score a high GMAT 4) perhaps there are other things you didn’t mention in your initial post.

I suggest A) working on your GMAT – try to score as high as possible, to increase your chances B) perhaps find a job that’s related to your goals – or closer to them, at least. Perhaps something that offers you managerial experience C) consider starting some extracurricular activity – especially one that will offer you leadership experience.

Depending on your GMAT and the experience you manage to acquire over the next year, you can then start shortlisting programs.

Good luck!!

Joy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Team,

I would like to thank you in advance for taking time to help me narrow down the list of Business Schools to Apply for the coming year Full-Time MBA Programs (preferably one year programs).

Profile :-

Work Experience :- ~6 years ( exact:- 5 years 10 months )

Current :- Social Entrepreneur (2014 - present)

Founder of 2 startups and currently working on both of them.

1.Full time for one startup in which i head operations part. - Based out of Chile ( Jul 2013 to Jan 2016 ) and operating from India now.
2. Other - part time to help in International Marketing ( This startup is solely intended for downtrodden people empowerment) countries worked on :- Colombia, Brazil, Chile and Panama

Previous :- Technical consultant in Oracle ( A US Based Software Giant )

2010 to 2014. Worked in India, Taiwan, Chile and Colombia as part of this role majorly as a Technical Consultant to Banks.

Academics :-

Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) - graduated in 2010 from state owned government University .

University Topper.

GPA :- 4.0 ( from wes.org not sure whether it is exact figure) in percentages : 89%

Extra Curricular Activities :-

Apart from above startups, I did New Movies Distribution and Projection of Indian Films in Chile - First person to do so.

Partnering with Indian Embassies in South America to promote Indian Varied arts and crafts .

Dancer - Represented India among 40 Nations diplomats organized Event.

Helped Few Startups in Chile for regional expansion and in language Translation

Translation services to few online organizations ( English, Spanish , Hindi and Telugu ).

Android apps development.

Short films Movie Direction and Editing.

GMAT :- 640

Applications Intended for 2017 Batch.

This is a brief about my profile and workEx.
Could you please provide me the best options ( B- schools ) to apply and Thanks a ton in advance.

Awaiting your replies.

Best Regards,
Babu
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  75