Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
Hi Matthew,
Could you please let me know how we can get to see LORs-question for this year? Is it like after creating an account on CBS admission page or else?

Much appreciate your reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I do not have a US Cosigner but an immediate family member is a PR of Canada.
Does Columbia has a loan option for Canadian cosigners ? Any insights would be welcome.

Hi AbhiJ,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we do not have a loan option for any international student through the school. You would need a US cosigner in order to receive a loan.

Regards,

Hey Matthew

Regarding the question above, will your US cosigner's credit score be reviewed?
Is there a certain credit score that is required by the co signer in order for the applicant to receive a loan?

Thanks
Send PM
forfuture wrote:
Dear Admission Team
I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of applying in the Early Desicion.
Thanks in advance

Hi forfuture,

Thank you for your question. Early Decision is best for applicants who know that Columbia Business School is their first choice. Early Decision applications are read before our Regular Decision applications and because our application process is rolling the earlier you apply the more spots are available. We encourage applicants to consider the Early Decision commitments (visit https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admissions/options#ed) prior to applying for ED.

I hope this helps!
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Matthew,
Could you please let me know how we can get to see LORs-question for this year? Is it like after creating an account on CBS admission page or else?

Hi debayan222

Thank you for your question. Please visit https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admis ... mendations for our letters of recommendation. I pasted the text from this part of our website just in case :). Best of luck!

Recommendations

All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

If you are a college senior or have worked full-time for less than six months, at least one, but preferably both, of your recommendations should be from a person who can comment on your managerial abilities. You may ask a summer employer or another person who you feel can objectively assess your professional promise. The second recommendation may be from a college professor.

We ask recommenders to consider the following guidelines when writing their recommendations:

Your relationship to the applicant.
The applicant’s performance.
Strengths and weaknesses of the applicant.
The applicant’s interpersonal skills.
The applicant’s written and spoken communication skills.
How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
How effective are the applicant’s interpersonal skills in the workplace?
The most important thing you would like the Admissions Committee to know.

Please be aware, the Admissions Committee does require all application materials be submitted online, including recommendations.
Send PM
TechWithNoExp wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I do not have a US Cosigner but an immediate family member is a PR of Canada.
Does Columbia has a loan option for Canadian cosigners ? Any insights would be welcome.

Hi AbhiJ,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we do not have a loan option for any international student through the school. You would need a US cosigner in order to receive a loan.

Regards,

Hey Matthew

Regarding the question above, will your US cosigner's credit score be reviewed?
Is there a certain credit score that is required by the co signer in order for the applicant to receive a loan?

Thanks

Hi AbhiJ,

I am not exactly sure how credit scores will be reviewed with regard to loans. I suggest contacting our financial aid office at finaid@gsb.columbia.edu and they may be able to help.

Thank you!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Hi debayan222

Thank you for your question. Please visit https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admis ... mendations for our letters of recommendation. I pasted the text from this part of our website just in case :). Best of luck!

Recommendations

All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

If you are a college senior or have worked full-time for less than six months, at least one, but preferably both, of your recommendations should be from a person who can comment on your managerial abilities. You may ask a summer employer or another person who you feel can objectively assess your professional promise. The second recommendation may be from a college professor.

We ask recommenders to consider the following guidelines when writing their recommendations:

Please be aware, the Admissions Committee does require all application materials be submitted online, including recommendations.

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your reply...

I've seen that but just misunderstood it as 'only guidelines!'. So these are the LOR qs actually for this session...? and is there any word limit recommenders should maintain for these qs?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Dear Admission Team,

What is the best option for an applicant who has Columbia Business School as his first choice but who needs some financial assistance to pursue it.

Should I go for regular decision and pursue it, if I get some scholarship.
Can I also go for early decision? What are the chances of getting scholarship once you are admitted?

Apart from that, I also want to know whether I need to give TOEFL. I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur where mode of teaching is English.

Regards,
Sudarshan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
sarcastic wrote:
Can I also go for early decision? What are the chances of getting scholarship once you are admitted?

Everybody who applies before the January 6, 2014 (the Merit Fellowship deadline) in considered for scholarships. That includes all early decision applicants. I know this was a concern of mine when I applied Early Decision. I was worried since you are already committed to the school they wouldn't need to try and entice you with scholarships but that isn't the case. I was awarded 2 different scholarships that together are pretty generous and I know of a few other early decision applicants who received even larger awards than I did. I wouldn't let that deter you from applying and especially not from applying ED if Columbia really is your top choice.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi Mathew

I also want to know whether I need to give TOEFL. I am from India and I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur where mode of teaching is English.
Send PM
sarcastic wrote:
Hi Mathew

I also want to know whether I need to give TOEFL. I am from India and I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur where mode of teaching is English.

Hi sarcastic,

Thank you for your question. If your undergraduate degree was taught entirely in English then you do not need to take the TOEFL.

Please include this in your Optional Essay.

Best of luck!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
sarcastic wrote:
Hi Mathew

Hi sarcastic,

Thank you for your question. If your undergraduate degree was taught entirely in English then you do not need to take the TOEFL.

Please include this in your Optional Essay.

Best of luck!

Hi Matthew,
In this regard, what paperwork/proof we'd need to present to CBS?

Asking this because-I think in general Indian universities don't really write that degree was obtained in English as you might know that in India higher education is in ENGLISH only but the degree certificate is of course written in English.So, will that be sufficient (re degree certificate in English) for TOEFL waiver?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Hi debayan222

Recommendations

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your reply...

I've seen that but just misunderstood it as 'only guidelines!'. So these are the LOR qs actually for this session...? and is there any word limit recommenders should maintain for these qs?

Hi Matthew,
Any update on this Sir...?
Send PM
sarcastic wrote:
Dear Admission Team,

What is the best option for an applicant who has Columbia Business School as his first choice but who needs some financial assistance to pursue it.

Apart from that, I also want to know whether I need to give TOEFL. I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur where mode of teaching is English.

Regards,
Sudarshan

Hi Sudarshan,

Thank you for your questions. As mappleby mentioned both ED and RD admitted students receive fellowships. While it is not possible to assess your chances of receiving admission or a fellowship admitted students from both ED and RD receive awards.

If your degree was taught entirely in English you do not need to take the TOEFL. Please make a note of this in the Optional Essay.

Best of luck,
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Hi debayan222

Recommendations

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your reply...

Hi debayan222 - Thank you for following up. This is what we ask recommenders to consider for this cycle. We ask that recommendations are limited to 1000 words.

Regards,
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks Matthew for the clarification...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM
Hi Matthew,

A couple of questions for the J-Term program specifically:

-Who are your intended "audience" for this program?
-Can we do early decision for the J-Term?
-Will we have a breakout for the employment report soon for J-Term?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hi,

Regarding the application, I did various internships during my undergraduate studies and I was wondering if I should list these under Extracurricular activities on the application? Or are you just looking for clubs and community service type activities for the extracurricular section?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts