Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [2]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
Kudos
NoggieViking wrote:
Matthew,

Like the others, I too am thankful (and impressed) that Columbia has representation on this board. Very cool!

Can you advise on timeline for ED applicants? I had my interview some 3 weeks ago, and the feedback was submitted almost the next day if I remember correctly.

Thanks again!

Hi NoggieViking,

You should allow up to 12 weeks for a decision. We do our best to render decisions in a timely manner, but please allow for 12 weeks from when your application went under review. There isn't a specific timeline for a decision after an interview is complete.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for possibility to ask questiosn and address some of our concerns, related to admissions.

For past month most of applicants have a heated debate on whether to submit the full Gmat report (including the second page where schools to which gmat report was sended are indicated) or just first page with GMAT scores only.

I considered unethical submission of only first page, because the GMAT report consists of 3 or 4 pages (including the list of schools) and not only the first page where the scores and dates are indicated.

Now I am worried whether my honesty somehow would affect the Committee's decision? I think no, but would like to confirm it with you.

Also please inform whether the submission of the full GMAT report (including the second page) or only of the first page (with scores) is required? - This question would be raised by applicants applying before regular decision deadline.

thank you!
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for possibility to ask questiosn and address some of our concerns, related to admissions.

For past month most of applicants have a heated debate on whether to submit the full Gmat report (including the second page where schools to which gmat report was sended are indicated) or just first page with GMAT scores only.

I considered unethical submission of only first page, because the GMAT report consists of 3 or 4 pages (including the list of schools) and not only the first page where the scores and dates are indicated.

Now I am worried whether my honesty somehow would affect the Committee's decision? I think no, but would like to confirm it with you.

Also please inform whether the submission of the full GMAT report (including the second page) or only of the first page (with scores) is required? - This question would be raised by applicants applying before regular decision deadline.

thank you!

Dear PTK,

Thank you for your question. We do not have a preference. We are most interested in the score breakdown and the test date.

Best of luck going forward.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
mpm2133@columbia.edu
Send PM
Kudos
newbed wrote:
If I've run my own business for the last couple of years, does it make sense to have a client to write a recommendation? I ask because the instructions specify a direct supervisor or a senior professional associate for both recommendations. I can get both recommendations from a previous employer, but I thought that including a recommendation from a current client might provide an interesting perspective.

Hi newbed,

Thank you for your question. Yes it makes sense to have a client submit a recommendation. This is certainly an acceptable professional rec.

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Send PM
Kudos
bryroro wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thank you for being on this forum and offering friendly Q&A. I am sure everyone here greatly appreciates this.

I am an international J-term applicant. I had my alumni interview ~1.5 weeks ago and have not had an update on my application status since. From reading on this forum, I have learned that most people proceed from the actual interview to "interview complete" status within a couple days. Is there anything I can/should do in my situation?

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon!

Hi bryroro - This means we are waiting for your interviewer to submit their interview report. We are in contact with interviewers regarding this, so you do not need to take any further action at this time.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Send PM
Kudos
Cheetos1 wrote:
Hi Matt,
I have a few questions regarding the application. I am really hoping to get some direction from you on the following items:
a) I went to a 4-year public university in the US. However, I took two courses (English I and II) at a community college. These two courses are reflected on my University's official transcript as transferred credits along with the letter grade. Do I need to report this community college as a separate college attended? Also, would you require a transcript from this community college?

b) Financing section - I saw your comment above regarding this section. I do not have any sponsorship or any scholarships in hand. However, I do plan to apply for the scholarship money in the Spring. Should I include what I am "hoping" to receive in scholarships/loans or what I am "expecting" to receive?

c) Internships during college - I have four years of work experience but I have worked in the same job since college. Should I list internships during undergrad as separate work experience? Or is it better not to mention those?

Thanks for being patient with my questions and thanks for helping me out!!

Hi Cheetos1,

a) If the grades are on your degree granting transcripts you do not need to send separate transcripts.

b.) If you do not have scholarships awarded to you do not include this information.

c.) Your internships should be listed in the optional essay.

I hope this helps!
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
Hi Matthew.

Thank you for helping us with the application questions.

I have few questions to you:

1. As you see I was rejected by CBS. Is it possible to have a formal/informal feedback in any form of what could I improve in my application to be a stronger candidate.

2.What is the tuition cost of J-term program?

3. What is the admision rate for students applying for J-term and why you dont post a separate statistics, including that of post MBA-employment and average saalries.

4. Do you generally encourage reapplicants? and if yes, why?, if previously the candidate was rejected and he/she does not know the reason for rejection?

thank you a lot.

regards,
your rejected applicant,
PTK

Hi PTK,

I am sorry to hear about your decision. Unfortunately it is not possible to to receive feedback on your application. The Admissions Office understands well the enormous commitment of time and energy that applying to business school represents, but we simply do not have the resources to provide feedback to all of our denied applicants. Every year we have many reapplicants who are admitted to the program. All of the January stats are included in our posted statistics. The tuition rate is the same as well.

I hope this helps.
Send PM
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi admissions team

Though I know that Adcom will look at the overall application, I was wondering whether a GMAT testing history of 640 (Q40/V36), 640(Q42/V38), 710(Q42/V45), with more or less consistent 60% scores in Quant would be an almost automatic reason for disqualification at Columbia. I'm a healthcare analyst with a large consulting firm, so I have demonstrated quant skills at work, but otherwise my undergrad quant scores are low too.

Again, I realize that the overall application is considered, but does that score history sound like a big deal-breaker?

Regards
A.

Hi A.

As you know the application process is holistic and the GMAT is just one aspect of the process. There is never a single reason for admission or denial, so unfortunately there isn't a simple answer to your question. If you have taken your GMAT several times and you feel it will not change, then I suggest focusing on the other parts of your application.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I applied for Fall 2012 but got a reject. If I am applying again to CSB for Fall 2013, I will be adding a reapplicant essay, but other essays will remain more or less same. I will be able to show developments in my professional/personal life in my CV/Resume and Extra-curricular activities.

1) Does most of the reapplicants have the same essays they had the previous year?

2) Or do you expect to have fresh essays?

3) Also does an AWA score of 4 automatically makes a reject, or are there people with AWA of 4 being accepted by CSB?

4) Since I am an International Applicant required to submit Toefl/PTE score, I would like to know what is the mean range of PTE score

5)And what score in writing in PTE will negate the effect of AWA score of 4

Regards
Send PM
Kudos
SJHunter86 wrote:
Hello,

I am currently a NJ resident attending an online business school (Jones International University) while working to help pay for it. I am a third-year student entering my fourth year in the Spring of 2013, as I had already completed my Associate's Degree from a local Community College. I spent 5-years working self-employed and decided to finish my degree (I am now 25, and will be 27 upon graduation). I am currently earning a 4.0 GPA making Dean's List after the first semester. I am also currently studying for my GMAT, scoring 700+ on every practice exam I have taken so far.

My academic pedigree is realistically, putting it lightly, less than stellar. Community College and then an Online Business School is far from impressive compared to many applicants to top MBA programs. Even having a 4.0 GPA, is this still frowned upon for admissions? Will it negatively affect my chances of being accepted?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Steve Hunter

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your question. The application process is holistic so we will be looking at your entire application including your academics. As long as you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited school you are welcome to apply to the MBA program and we will consider all bachelor's degrees equally. If there is anything you feel you need to explain further you may do so in the Optional Essay.

Best of luck Steve!
Send PM
Kudos
magsj73 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your help. I am planning to apply ED, and I am currently employed at a company that sponsors MBAs. I noticed that in the application, a note from the company indicating sponsorship is requested. My company makes decisions regarding sponsorship later on in the year, and while it is highly likely that I will be sponsored, sponsorship has not been formally offerred at this time. Given this, what do you suggest that I show on the application?

Thanks again.

Hi magsj73,

Thank you for reaching out to us on the GMATclub forum. Since you are not currently sponsored I suggest putting in the optional essay that you will likely be sponsored at a later date. Once you have your sponsorship letter please e-mail this to us and we can add the letter to you application.

Best of luck!
Send PM
Kudos
StressEater wrote:
Hi,

I am an early submitter to the RD round. Could you throw some light on when the first RD applicants will be getting notified of their application status?

Hi StressEater,

Thank you for your question! We will start reviewing Regular Decision applications once we complete the review of Early Decision. This usually happens in early December. Regular Decision applications that are submitted prior to the start of our review of Regular Decision will be placed in a queue and reviewed on a rolling basis once we start reviewing RD applications. Additionally, candidates who submit prior to the start of our review of RD will receive notification that their six week review process has begun.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Send PM
Kudos
NYNY07 wrote:
Hi Mathew,

I have received an invitation to interview with CBS and my interview is scheduled for next week. May I I request a CBS alumni I worked closely with on a volunteer project to write an additional recommendation for me and if so, how may I request them to submit it? I think that this would contribute to my candidacy by highlighting new information.

Thanks,
NYNY07

Hi NYNY07,

Congratulations on your interview! You are welcome to have the alum you worked with send an additional recommendation. Please have the alum send the recommendation to apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will add it to your file.

Best of luck!
Send PM
Kudos
TheLostOne wrote:
Hello!

I was wondering how many spots are left for us regular decisoners? I see a ton of early decision folks have received the nod!

Thanks,

Thank you for your question! We are extremely early in the process and the class has many spots available.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Thank you for taking the time to come on the board and answer our questions.

For those of us that are able to apply before the fellowship deadline, when would we hear back whether we received any fellowships? Also, is there anyway to know which fellowships you were considered for?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

I have a question about my submission status:

I submitted my application on 10/5 7 AM, and I got an email notifying the status change on 10/5 9 AM. The status was changed to: Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

However, my two recommendations were not submitted then until around deadline.

Since then, my status has kept being: Submitted. Your application is now being printed and prepared for review...

I wonder whether the unchange of my status means I'm after other candidates who submitted apps earlier than me so it's not my turn yet, or means the late submission of recommendations does harm to the review priority of my package?

Many thanks to your answers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Fantastic to see CBS admissions on the boards, welcome! Wish there would of been representation while I was still grueling over my decision :)

On a side note, odds of putting fudgey and I in the same cluster? :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts