Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 2.78
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,

I think you should apply to Haas and Yale is you are really interested in the schools. Try to talk to current students and alumni to better understand these schools, and how they can support your career goals, and how you can contribute. Given you've worked on other applications, I think you may be able to put forth strong applications for these two schools. Do try to visit the campus if you can.

I agree with you that getting clarity on career goals, and why MBA, why a particular school are all important elements required for a successful application. Make sure you demonstrate transferrable skills that will help you succeed in your short-term career. It is not necessary difficult to go from a small company to a big company. I'm sure you've had quite a bit of real life business experience running a business and opening new stores.

For your long-term goal, you should try to help them understand what really motivates you, what are you passionate about. You may need to think about this a bit more.

https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

If you are interested in admissions consulting, please feel free to contact me and send me sample application essays for a school you applied to https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Our consulting director is a graduate of Yale School of Managment, and had been a member of the admissions committee and interviewer for the school.

Good luck!

Christine Lin
If you find this post helpful, please give it KUDOS!

zl2012 wrote:
Hi,

At this time of the application season, many of the applicants have received a satisfactory offer. However, I have been rejected by many top 20 schools. After evaluating my application package, I have realized that it was really weak in “why school” and “career goals”. I have learned a lot more myself and about the application process, and made lots of changes to improve my profile.

Now I want to give it one more shot at a couple top 20 schools. Would you please give me some advice?

Please, help out a poor guy who was rejected by sloan, johnson, mccombs, and maybe a couple more in the next few weeks, lol

Background:
30 year-old male, born and raised back in China. Immigrated to US at the age of 18. Currently a US citizen, live in upstate NY.

Academic:
Not good… one of the state u of new york, computer science major, GPA 2.92. No specific reason, was really immature.

Gmat:
Taken only once, in 2012. 740 – Q50, V39, AWA 5.5, IR 6

Work:
6 yeas by matriculating. All in small (very small) companies.
First two years – Team leader in a small IT company.
Next four years – General manager in a small retail business (around 15 staffs).
Contribution to this retail company:
- Computerized and systematized the business routines.
- Improved the purchasing routine and established the merchandising department. Expanded the product and services variety to better meet customer’s demand.
- Supervised the opening of new stores, from site selection to recruiting new employees. Expanded the local store to a retail chain of 5 store in different cities.

Why MBA:
The owner is satisfied with the scale of the company, and wanted to slow down the development. However, I want to continue to grow my career. I have a great chance to polished many of my soft skills such as interpersonal and analytical skills while running this small business. However, because I lack a academic background in business administration, I really need to learn the hard skills in order to qualify a management position in a large company.

Career goals:
My true reason is that I wanted to go from a small company to a large corporation, because I don’t see any room for me to grow any more in this small company. In the previous applications, I poorly define my goals, I think that was one of the reason I got rejected by many top 20 schools.

Short Term – Becoming a retail purchasing manager in supply chain management.
Reason: While leading the retail business, I spent a significant amount of time in developing its merchandising department. I have seen some parts of the supply chain operation, from wholeseller, to retailer, to customer. I want to bring this experience and combine with the hard skills and knowledge I am going to learn from a MBA program, to become a purchasing manager in a large retail corporation.

Long term – Becoming a retail general manager in a multinational corporation’s China division.
As purchasing manager usually need to work with people in different countries, I will try to build connections in China and to learn more about its business cultures. I spent 18 years in china and I am fluent in Chinese. With the experience I am going to gain from mba and work, I believe I can be a good candidates for such position.

It is pretty long… thanks for your patience if you get to this far :)

Questions:
1. is it too late to apply in the last round? Could I stand out from the rest of the last round applicants?
2. School selections. I wanted to try Haas and Yale. First of all, many others have already rejected me (again, my prior application had unclear goals and poorly answered the question why school). And I think this two has a good reputation in general management and offers SCM courses (I think everyone does). Am I getting a chance in those two? Any other suggestion?
3. Does my goals make sense? Does my work background, short term goal and long term connect well? People say it is really hard to jump from a very small company to a large one, is that one reason I keep getting rejected?
4. Is there anything special i should do to increase my chance in the last round? i didn't visited those school, i guess it is too late to do so anyway. pretty much getting the info from the school website, gmatclub.com, and search engine.

Thank you very much!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

So I am just trying to evaluate my chances at a top American business school when I apply for Fall of 2014. Below is a quick recap of my profile:

Graduated in 2010 with a low GPA 3.11 (majored in finance & accounting) from a state school in Texas. My grades in my first two years were horrific but the last two years were much better. Luckily I was able to secure a spot in a new college-hire program at one of the supermajor oil companies (a Fortune 5 company) due to submitting only the last 2 years worth of transcripts on my application (even then I was very lucky to get the job as they had a hard cutoff at 3.5 and my gpa was lower than that, I guess I interviewed well or they REALLY needed a diversity candidate). I am of south asian decent.

I had always been a good student but I had a medical issue in college and I really struggled with it. I'm not sure if I am even willing to share it with the adcoms so that is why I am looking for other ways to mitigate the low GPA portion of my application.

I was able to move up at the company relatively fast (moved jobs twice in less than 2 years) and now am a financial performance analyst within a commodity trade group on the trade floor. I am also sitting for my CFA level 2 exam this June (hoping to pass it!). In addition to the CFA, I am hoping to mitigate the poor undergrad gpa concern by creating an alternative transcript, I have taken one finance class at UCLA Extension thus far and got an A in it, I'll be taking another class soon, probably either statistics or calculus.

I'll be taking the GMAT in June and will be shooting for a score of around 700.

Extracurriculars:
- Mentor at a youth refugee organization in Houston (volunteer once or twice a week)
- Finance volunteer at a free business counseling non-profit (currently working to help a local small business secure a $230k loan to expand business)
- WILL be volunteering in Rio de Janeiro this spring break helping build a home for a family living in a favela in the city.

What are some realistic possibilities as far as schools are concerned? Columbia is my dream school but I know it will be very tough....

The following is a list of schools I want to get into:

Columbia/NYUStern/DukeFuqua/UCLAAnderson/Rice/UTAustin

Out of these schools which do I have best chance at?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

You have not mentioned your career goals. It would be really important to have clear post-MBA career goal, as well as long-term career goal. Make sure you show transferrable skills that will help you succeed in your post-MBA career, and passion for you long-term goal.

Sounds like you've done well professionally, and your volunteer business counseling work sounds great. You can try to explain reasons for your low GPA, and the alternative transcript will also help. Upward trend in the last two years also a plus.

If you can put forth strong essays that demonstrate leadership capabilities and clearly articulate why MBA, why now, why a particular school, then you should have a good chance.

Research the schools by talking to current students and alumni to see how the schools support your career goals.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

pacman007 wrote:
Hi,

So I am just trying to evaluate my chances at a top American business school when I apply for Fall of 2014. Below is a quick recap of my profile:

Graduated in 2010 with a low GPA 3.11 (majored in finance & accounting) from a state school in Texas. My grades in my first two years were horrific but the last two years were much better. Luckily I was able to secure a spot in a new college-hire program at one of the supermajor oil companies (a Fortune 5 company) due to submitting only the last 2 years worth of transcripts on my application (even then I was very lucky to get the job as they had a hard cutoff at 3.5 and my gpa was lower than that, I guess I interviewed well or they REALLY needed a diversity candidate). I am of south asian decent.

I had always been a good student but I had a medical issue in college and I really struggled with it. I'm not sure if I am even willing to share it with the adcoms so that is why I am looking for other ways to mitigate the low GPA portion of my application.

I was able to move up at the company relatively fast (moved jobs twice in less than 2 years) and now am a financial performance analyst within a commodity trade group on the trade floor. I am also sitting for my CFA level 2 exam this June (hoping to pass it!). In addition to the CFA, I am hoping to mitigate the poor undergrad gpa concern by creating an alternative transcript, I have taken one finance class at UCLA Extension thus far and got an A in it, I'll be taking another class soon, probably either statistics or calculus.

I'll be taking the GMAT in June and will be shooting for a score of around 700.

Extracurriculars:
- Mentor at a youth refugee organization in Houston (volunteer once or twice a week)
- Finance volunteer at a free business counseling non-profit (currently working to help a local small business secure a $230k loan to expand business)
- WILL be volunteering in Rio de Janeiro this spring break helping build a home for a family living in a favela in the city.

What are some realistic possibilities as far as schools are concerned? Columbia is my dream school but I know it will be very tough....

The following is a list of schools I want to get into:

Columbia/NYUStern/DukeFuqua/UCLAAnderson/Rice/UTAustin

Out of these schools which do I have best chance at?

Hey Christine,

Thanks for the quick response.

My long term goal is to work at an Hedge Fund but I am not sure how possible that is right out of MBA.

Drawing from your experience, how much value do adcoms place on an applicant pursuing a CFA and would you agree that clearing the first 2 exams would compensate a bit for the low GPA? The CFA body of work is much harder than most of my undergrad studies...

My biggest concern is the low GPA, I am just hoping that somehow I'll be able to get over this hump and get into the school I want.

Thanks for the encouraging advice by the way...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Christine and team,

Thanks in advance for the profile evaluation. Below is my info:

• I'm a 29 year old Taiwanese-American male located in the San Francisco Bay Area
  • I've been working at a financial services software company for 7 years. We develop web-based software for the mortgage and general lending industries. Our primary focus has been on lending compliance, and our clients include many top banks, mortgage lenders, and, interestingly enough, state and federal regulators
    I am an associate product manager and, due to the small size of the company, have participated in many different roles here. My core responsibility is managing the creation of new features and products (project planning, prioritization of features, managing expectations, and leading an "agile" team of engineers, testers, and occasionally legal researchers). However, I've also drafted marketing materials, trained internal sales, support, and management teams, drafted and maintain user-facing documentation, helped our quality assurance teams test software, and acted as one of three company points of contact for an ongoing project we are working on with a large consulting company
  • My GMAT was 760, Q49, V44, AWA 6.0, IR 8
  • Undergraduate BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 2005. Undergrad GPA 2.78. No excuses, I just didn't make good decisions in college. I've been taking some UCLA Extension Online courses to try to mitigate this a little, and I've received A's in principles of accounting 1A and management economics. I'm currently taking principles of accounting 1B and mathematics for managers.
  • In college I was vice president of a social fraternity (among other various positions). Currently, I volunteer with a product management association and the local Lions Club (community service club).
  • I'm also working towards getting a PMI Agile Certified Practitioner certification (it's the "agile" version of a Project Management Professional certification)
  • My target schools are (in order of preference):
    MIT Sloan
    Tuck
    Johnson
    Yale SOM
    Kellogg
    Fuqua
    Darden
  • My post-MBA goal is joining a strategy consulting firm to get more practical experience with a long-term goal of leading a startup
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi,
I have given my gmat, now I was looking to apply to b-schools, could you suggest me some b-schools gud enough for my score and good schools as well, and if I can get a scholarship. I wanna join this year that is 2013.
my profile is as follows;

Working as HVAC Engineer in Kuwait
GMAT - 630
CGPA - 6.69/10 in Mech. Eng. from BITS Dubai
School - X - 82% XII - 82%
EC's - Have been an integral part of sports and cultural organizing committees throughout, in my office have been a part of the cricket team and played in 2 intra-company football tournaments.
I dont want to do it from MENA region, as job placements are a main concern for me. So my focus on the placements. It would be very helpful if you could advice me.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

What are your career goals? Knowing your career goals will help w school selection.

Can you tell me more about your work experience? How many years? Any leadership examples?

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,
I have given my gmat, now I was looking to apply to b-schools, could you suggest me some b-schools gud enough for my score and good schools as well, and if I can get a scholarship. I wanna join this year that is 2013.

GMAT - 630
EC's - Have been an integral part of sports and cultural organizing committees throughout, in my office have been a part of the cricket team and played in 2 intra-company football tournaments.
I dont want to do it from MENA region, as job placements are a main concern for me. So my focus on the placements. It would be very helpful if you could advice me.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey,

Thanks for replying sorry didnt mention my experience the last time its about 3.5 years right now and would like to join into management consulting but am a open minded right now, as I think an mba degree would help me none the less even in my current profile that is as an engineering consultant.

As for the leadership example as I have a strong one ( I think) that I led a project worth 1.2 million Kuwaiti dinar to its completion, when it was handed over to me after a senior colleague left the company.

About choice of b-schools, I wanted to ask which is the best b-school that I can target keeping in mind my low gmat score and
good chance of getting placed after my mba.

Thanks.

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

What are your career goals? Knowing your career goals will help w school selection.

Can you tell me more about your work experience? How many years? Any leadership examples?

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 630

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

It will be really important for you to get some clarity around your career goal, and reflect on the transferrable skills you have and what you are passionate about.

Would you like to work in Europe or U.S. after your MBA?

You can use the GMAT, GPA as a guide to start your school research, and look into learning environments that you would thrive in, and programs with good management recruiting.

https://business-schools.findthebest.com/

Good luck!

Christine Lin
If you find this post helpful, please give it a KUDOS!

mars2112 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for replying sorry didnt mention my experience the last time its about 3.5 years right now and would like to join into management consulting but am a open minded right now, as I think an mba degree would help me none the less even in my current profile that is as an engineering consultant.

As for the leadership example as I have a strong one ( I think) that I led a project worth 1.2 million Kuwaiti dinar to its completion, when it was handed over to me after a senior colleague left the company.

About choice of b-schools, I wanted to ask which is the best b-school that I can target keeping in mind my low gmat score and
good chance of getting placed after my mba.

Thanks.

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 630

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice please?

I applied to Oxford in Round 2 for this year and today received an email stating that i had been unsuccessful in securing an interview. I wasn't surprised as i completely flunked my GMAT Quant section (did quite well in the Verbal though) and ended up with a score of 480. However, i decided to submit my application despite this in the hope that the strength of the rest of my application would perhaps enable me to get to interview stage.

I have a 3.9 GPA and 7 years work experience. I founded and managed an international NGO and worked there for 5.5 years. I have considerable volunteer and extracurricular experience and am currently working in PR and communications consulting. I am also in the final stages of launching an internet start up with a social focus. I am very keen to attend Oxford under the Skoll Scholarship as i have a strong interest in social entrepreneurship. I am also currently completing a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration at an Australian university and am halfway through, however i do not wish to complete the MBA there as it is not of that standard i want. I plan to apply again to Oxford in Round 1 for the school year starting 2014, and have engaged a tutor to assist me with bringing up my GMAT score significantly.

My main query at this point is whether i should continue on to complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration here in Australia, or whether i should exit halfway through and concentrate on bringing my GMAT score up, and launching my business. I am concerned that i might look bad if i exit the course without completing it. However, i am also concerned that it may go against me to have completed what is essentially one third of an MBA.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Is there a way for you to take a break from the graduate certificate course? It seems like you have quite a bit going on with launching a new business and studying for the GMAT, and still working full-time.

You can probably explain that the course made you realized that you really want to get an MBA, and have found Oxford to be the ideal program for you.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

lmat01 wrote:
Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice please?

I applied to Oxford in Round 2 for this year and today received an email stating that i had been unsuccessful in securing an interview. I wasn't surprised as i completely flunked my GMAT Quant section (did quite well in the Verbal though) and ended up with a score of 480. However, i decided to submit my application despite this in the hope that the strength of the rest of my application would perhaps enable me to get to interview stage.

I have a 3.9 GPA and 7 years work experience. I founded and managed an international NGO and worked there for 5.5 years. I have considerable volunteer and extracurricular experience and am currently working in PR and communications consulting. I am also in the final stages of launching an internet start up with a social focus. I am very keen to attend Oxford under the Skoll Scholarship as i have a strong interest in social entrepreneurship. I am also currently completing a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration at an Australian university and am halfway through, however i do not wish to complete the MBA there as it is not of that standard i want. I plan to apply again to Oxford in Round 1 for the school year starting 2014, and have engaged a tutor to assist me with bringing up my GMAT score significantly.

My main query at this point is whether i should continue on to complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration here in Australia, or whether i should exit halfway through and concentrate on bringing my GMAT score up, and launching my business. I am concerned that i might look bad if i exit the course without completing it. However, i am also concerned that it may go against me to have completed what is essentially one third of an MBA.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your reply.

I can exit the course after i finish the unit, and i would actually like to exit as i don't want to double up on units when i do finally get to Oxford!

However, i am just concerned it will look bad on my academic transcripts to have not completed the course.

I work part time at the moment as i have 2 young children, and am launching my business in my spare time as well as trying to study. I would really love to exit the course and just concentrate on the GMAT and the business, but i am really concerned that it may look bad!

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I think you should prioritize and do what you feel is right, and not worry about how it may look to the admissions committee. It is understandable that launching a new business would take a lot of effort, plus studying for the GMAT while balancing family life. And since you've decided to pursue an MBA, it makes sense to not continue with the course.

Good luck!

Christine

lmat01 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I can exit the course after i finish the unit, and i would actually like to exit as i don't want to double up on units when i do finally get to Oxford!

However, i am just concerned it will look bad on my academic transcripts to have not completed the course.

I work part time at the moment as i have 2 young children, and am launching my business in my spare time as well as trying to study. I would really love to exit the course and just concentrate on the GMAT and the business, but i am really concerned that it may look bad!

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to look over this, I really really appreciate it. I'll try to be brief and to the point:

Personal Data: 25 year-old Romanian.

Undergraduate Studies: Graduated summa cum laude from liberal arts college (Dickinson College, PA) in May 2010, GPA: 3.84, Phi Beta Kappa, double major in Intl Business & French Culture and Civilization, studied abroad in Toulouse junior year (coursework exclusively in French), where I gained Certificate of Political Studies from the Political Studies Institute of Toulouse.

GMAT Score: 770 (Q50, V44)

Work Experience: 2& 1/2 years of work experience [Summer EU Internship during college (Brussels, Belgium), Internship Conflict Resolution NGO - work with UN entities (NY, US), E-learning Company Consultant and Sales (Bucharest, Romania), Top private-jet manufacturer internship, sales and marketing (Chester, UK)]

Current job: Industry Analyst (UK based company, series of 3-4 month long projects in foreign countries; industry specific reports on Mining, Oil & Gas, and Power industries that are featured in industry specific magazines with targeted readership 100,000+ readers) - I will be starting the job in a few days - meetings and interviews with gov officials and corporate execs in order to gain industry knowledge and produce final report.

Languages spoken: Romanian (native), English, French (very advanced)

Extracurricular: Classical guitar (used to compete), not that intense anymore; Theater (in high-school and college); Tennis, soccer (did not play however at college level)

Schools and Application: I will apply this year (Fall 2013) in order to start MBA full-time in Autumn 2014 (@ age 27) - at this point, I'm thinking Harvard, MIT, Columbia, NYU and INSEAD.

That's about it - I am very curious to see if I have any realistic chances of getting into these schools.

Thank you again very very much
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Have recently taken the GMAT and scored low (590). Just needed to know whether applying to the top schools like Dartmouth, Duke, Nus, Nanyang, HEC, HKUST would be possible.
I won't be applying for any financial aid.

I would be trying for the 2013 intake.

Male, 28, Indian
Work experience - 5 years.
3 years with a CA firm (not to pursue CA but to gain an in depth knowledge into finance).
2 years with 2 large MNCs.
1 year as a credit analyst.
1 year managing/coordinating Traveller cheque distribution in India.

I want to pursue an MBA in Marketing and request your assistance in giving me an idea whether I should go ahead and apply to the colleges mentioned.

Thanks a ton.
Shatrujit

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Shatrujit,

I would recommend studying and retake the GMAT if you are interested in getting an MBA from a top school. You can check your candidacy against the average GMAT scores for these schools. Your grades during college is another factor in the selection process, as well as clarity of career goals and being able to show leadership capabilities and transferrable skills for your post-MBA role.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

shatrujit wrote:
Hi Guys,

Have recently taken the GMAT and scored low (590). Just needed to know whether applying to the top schools like Dartmouth, Duke, Nus, Nanyang, HEC, HKUST would be possible.
I won't be applying for any financial aid.

I would be trying for the 2013 intake.

Male, 28, Indian
Work experience - 5 years.
3 years with a CA firm (not to pursue CA but to gain an in depth knowledge into finance).
2 years with 2 large MNCs.
1 year as a credit analyst.
1 year managing/coordinating Traveller cheque distribution in India.

I want to pursue an MBA in Marketing and request your assistance in giving me an idea whether I should go ahead and apply to the colleges mentioned.

Thanks a ton.
Shatrujit

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
I just had an interview for Kellogg and I am curious about others' opinion on my chances.

Background:
- 680 GMAT (48/35) / 101 TOEFL
- 5-year experience as a quant in an investment bank (derivatives quantitative modeling). It has 100 thousand employees worldwide
- I also have leadership experiences in this role
- Latin american Male
- Already applied for Round 2 for the 2013 intake
- 29 years
- Engineering (2006) from top latin-american school
- M.Sc. with honors in economics (in 2012) from top latin-american school while working full-time
- Paper published in the an USA conference in Finance
- No GPA
- Excellent community experiences (3 different experiences, 3.5 years total). For example: teacher of martial arts for poor children (1.5 years)
- Target: Kellogg in Finance (also applying to Cornell, Yale and Michigan). Already invited to interview for Yale
--> Main objective: M&A

The talk:
The interviewer is an alumnus and is the president of Kellogg's Alumni Club of my country and has a recommendation from Phillip Kotler. He is native in my language, but 100% of the interview was in English

He said in the e-mail that the talk should take 60-90 minutes, but it took 150 minutes (yes, 2.5 hours).

The interviewer mostly didn't ask much about the usual questions (walk me through your resume, blablabla).
He did ask why kellogg and what was my main objective.
The chat was awesome and he did say that he hoped to see me next month (when the admitted students meet themselves). To be honest, I think he said this from his heart (not just an elevator talk)
To my luck, we had a lot of things in common (for example, we both came from poor family of immigrants).

As he didn't arrive by car, I drove him home and we continued to talk along the way. He said informally that my English skill is well above the average of people he usually interviews.

So, what do you guys think?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rainfall,

Sounds like you had a great interview experience. I understand you're just itching to know the final decision. Make sure you send a nice, professional thank you note (via email is fine), to thank him for his time and for his insights, etc, and restate that your interest in the school, and quickly sum up your strength/interests, and how you think the shcool would be a great fit.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck!

Christine Lin

rainfall wrote:
I just had an interview for Kellogg and I am curious about others' opinion on my chances.

Background:
- 680 GMAT (48/35) / 101 TOEFL
- 5-year experience as a quant in an investment bank (derivatives quantitative modeling). It has 100 thousand employees worldwide
- I also have leadership experiences in this role
- Latin american Male
- Already applied for Round 2 for the 2013 intake
- 29 years
- Engineering (2006) from top latin-american school
- M.Sc. with honors in economics (in 2012) from top latin-american school while working full-time
- Paper published in the an USA conference in Finance
- No GPA
- Excellent community experiences (3 different experiences, 3.5 years total). For example: teacher of martial arts for poor children (1.5 years)
- Target: Kellogg in Finance (also applying to Cornell, Yale and Michigan). Already invited to interview for Yale
--> Main objective: M&A

The talk:
The interviewer is an alumnus and is the president of Kellogg's Alumni Club of my country and has a recommendation from Phillip Kotler. He is native in my language, but 100% of the interview was in English

He said in the e-mail that the talk should take 60-90 minutes, but it took 150 minutes (yes, 2.5 hours).

The interviewer mostly didn't ask much about the usual questions (walk me through your resume, blablabla).
He did ask why kellogg and what was my main objective.
The chat was awesome and he did say that he hoped to see me next month (when the admitted students meet themselves). To be honest, I think he said this from his heart (not just an elevator talk)
To my luck, we had a lot of things in common (for example, we both came from poor family of immigrants).

As he didn't arrive by car, I drove him home and we continued to talk along the way. He said informally that my English skill is well above the average of people he usually interviews.

So, what do you guys think?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15