GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Darden Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '20
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 07:58
Brazilian, female, 27.

Undergrad Information: Double Degree in Materials Engineering and Science & Technology from a top 15 ranked school in Latin America (#3 in Brazil) ; researches on Materials for medical applications published on International Congress;
GPA: 2,4 (I know it's quite low but average for my course is 2,2 e highest GPA is 3,78)
GMAT: 660 ( V37, Q44)
Work experience and leadership:
Right now in a Leadership Developmental Program in a multinational Chem company working with Strategy & Innovation.
I'll have 2 years of full-time post graduation by the time the MBA starts. However, before getting an offer, I've had two year experience as an intern in the same company (1st year in Research & Innovation mainly focused on materials for medical applications, 2nd year in Strategic Marketing) working 30 hours/week.

International experience:
Two months exchange program in Germany during studies.
Cross-collaborative projects with colleagues in Germany, France and USA.

Community and others:
Decent list of activities outside high school / UG / work showing leadership skills.

Post MBA goals
Marketing in Healthcare Industry (medical Devices).

Would appreciate any and all inputs on this.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 19:15
Hi leticiammello, thanks for posting!

I think Darden will value your experience in the leadership development program -- those are usually selective and reserved for star performers, plus they provide a lot of exposure quickly. Since admissions will look primarily at your full-time, post-college experience, 2 years is a little light, but hopefully the fast paced nature of the program makes up for that. Do make sure you have clear reasons for why you want to get your MBA now. (Average age for Darden's class is 27 by the way.)

As far as your GPA, yes it is quite low, but it sounds like a challenging course of study. Admissions knows that GPAs in engineering are often lower, but it may be worth explaining those averages in an optional essay. The other best way to address the lower GPA is to rock the GMAT! I strongly recommend you retake and try to get your Quant score up in particular. A 660 is in Darden's range but I think your chances would be much stronger with a score closer to 700.

Otherwise, the global experience and community involvement are great. And being a female applicant from Brazil will give you a nice boost too!

Best of luck!
Kate

leticiammello wrote:
Brazilian, female, 27.

Undergrad Information: Double Degree in Materials Engineering and Science & Technology from a top 15 ranked school in Latin America (#3 in Brazil) ; researches on Materials for medical applications published on International Congress;
GPA: 2,4 (I know it's quite low but average for my course is 2,2 e highest GPA is 3,78)
GMAT: 660 ( V37, Q44)
Right now in a Leadership Developmental Program in a multinational Chem company working with Strategy & Innovation.
I'll have 2 years of full-time post graduation by the time the MBA starts. However, before getting an offer, I've had two year experience as an intern in the same company (1st year in Research & Innovation mainly focused on materials for medical applications, 2nd year in Strategic Marketing) working 30 hours/week.

Community and others:
Decent list of activities outside high school / UG / work showing leadership skills.

Post MBA goals

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 12:25
leticiammello wrote:
Brazilian, female, 27.

GMAT: 660 ( V37, Q44) With an avg GMAT score of 712 - this is on lower side-- however, they may look at GMATs from Brazil with a slightly different lens-- so you may be in striking range-- it would help if GPA was higher-- but definitely having the quant oriented undergrad will be noted.
Right now in a Leadership Developmental Program in a multinational Chem company working with Strategy & Innovation. That's a great background to have for MBA-- you could consider even another year to be even stronger-- and give you time to improve GMAT if you can.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals
If you are considering another year-- one option that we offer is to do an Early Edge package where you work with a counselor for a period of 5 hours over the prior year to applications-- then when you do apply you have had time to improve all key areas that you discuss with your counselor during the Early Edge program. I have worked with several clients very successfully this way-- by looking carefully at all aspects of your profile BEFORE you apply-- you have time to strengthen areas so that when you do apply you really are ready. Something to consider.... if you want to learn more-- here is where you reach out for a profile review:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 07:16
In a tight spot after missing out on reach school(s) and waitlisted at target school; debating whether or not it is worthwhile to apply to Darden at this point in the application cycle.

American male; undergrad at large public university with similar profile to UVA, majoring in Economics (3.1 GPA). Lower GPA due to extra-curricular involvement (traveling club sport at school that required significant time commitment) and uncertain finances for two of four years.

Will have 86 months of WE at matriculation with the same firm, going from contract/contingent basis for first year and two different operational groups in the time since; last 18 months in managerial role for three direct reports in client-facing support role for sales & trading at a bulge bracket investment bank.

Taken the GMAT thrice: 590 in 2015, 660 in 2016, and 700 in 2017. I have never applied to Darden but have self-reported scores each time. Previous applicant in 2016 (Fuqua, K-F, Tuck, Mendoza - only acceptance) and 2017/18 (Wharton, Fuqua, K-F, Tuck)

Long-term goal is to enter into university endowment management after gaining buyside investment mgmt experience with a PE firm; short-term is to work in leveraged finance or M&A for boutique or bulge-bracket bank, thereby to open opportunities for mid-to-long term goal. Previously interested in LBO consulting for MBB but feel banking is straighter path to PE fund mgmt/long-term goals.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 20:03
Hi there! Sorry to hear you're in a tight spot. You achieved an impressive increase in your GMAT!

Without seeing your full application, I'm not sure what other areas may have led to the decisions you received, but my guess is that your GPA / GMAT combo was one factor, and just not strong enough for some of the top schools on your list. I worry about this too with Darden, where the median GMAT is 713 and the median GPA is 3.5. Those stats, combined with the typically lower chances in Round 3, don't make me feel great about your chances, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Make sure you are using the optional essay to address your lower GPA and highlight your dedication to raising your GMAT. Use the main essay show them you will thrive in the interactive and intellectually challenging environment that makes Darden unique.

Good luck!
Kate

CSimmsBairdSchool wrote:
In a tight spot after missing out on reach school(s) and waitlisted at target school; debating whether or not it is worthwhile to apply to Darden at this point in the application cycle.

American male; undergrad at large public university with similar profile to UVA, majoring in Economics (3.1 GPA). Lower GPA due to extra-curricular involvement (traveling club sport at school that required significant time commitment) and uncertain finances for two of four years.

Will have 86 months of WE at matriculation with the same firm, going from contract/contingent basis for first year and two different operational groups in the time since; last 18 months in managerial role for three direct reports in client-facing support role for sales & trading at a bulge bracket investment bank.

Taken the GMAT thrice: 590 in 2015, 660 in 2016, and 700 in 2017. I have never applied to Darden but have self-reported scores each time. Previous applicant in 2016 (Fuqua, K-F, Tuck, Mendoza - only acceptance) and 2017/18 (Wharton, Fuqua, K-F, Tuck)

Long-term goal is to enter into university endowment management after gaining buyside investment mgmt experience with a PE firm; short-term is to work in leveraged finance or M&A for boutique or bulge-bracket bank, thereby to open opportunities for mid-to-long term goal. Previously interested in LBO consulting for MBB but feel banking is straighter path to PE fund mgmt/long-term goals.

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:16
CSimmsBairdSchool wrote:

Well it looks like the deadline has passed-- April 3! But let me just say I hope you did apply. Overall you have some strong stats and the R3 option always is a mixed bag. In some ways-- you are more at the mercy of what the school needs at that point-- if they are finding the yield to be lower than expected-- then they may be very glad to grab another quality candidate-- but if for some reason there is already a lot more yes answers than they expected-- then you will find it hard to get a yes even if you are amazing. But you won't know unless you try-- so I hope you did apply and I wish you the best. I think that your progression in GMAT shows resilience and dedication to improvement and that your current 700-- while not quite at their avg-- is still in striking range. I hope you are successful!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 11:56
Thanks, I did end up applying to Darden for R3! fingers crossed
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:24
CSimmsBairdSchool wrote:
Thanks, I did end up applying to Darden for R3! fingers crossed

Happy to hear it! Best wishes for good news!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 08:10
Background & nationality: Korean American in NYC
Undergrad Information: Graduated with bachelors in finance from a large private university in Philadelphia. Low GPA of 2.45 (will explain)
GMAT: 710 Q:48 & V:39 IR:4
Work experience & leadership: 48 months at an investment bank in nyc. Front office role in sales & trading. Analyst the first three years then promoted to assistant vp/associate. whenever manager was ooo, I would fill in the managers role and manage a team of 4 people.
Recommendations: have strong refs from managers
Community and others: worked two with NGOs. One helps kids in third world counties. The other helps raise awareness and funds for epilepsy.
Post mba goals:work in consulting in DC area.
Anything else: to explain the low gpa, I had epilepsy for most of my life till the end of high school, when I had brain surgery to treat the disease. I have been free from epilepsy since. The surgery took some toll on me during college years because it was in the verbal memory part of the brain, but I think the real reason for low gpa was because I didn’t try hard. I took a few quantitative courses at a local college in nyc since graduating and got As in all of them (even though it won’t change my gpa)

I know my gpa is very weak, but do you think I have any chance?

Thanks
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 11:09
Hi cb02,
Sorry you had to wait awhile for a response to your profile.

Obviously the GPA will be a challenge but I think your honesty about what happened in college, and how you overcame that setback, will be very appreciated by Darden. You will definitely want to write an optional essay explaining those circumstances. You've also been smart to take additional quant courses, that is wonderful and the admissions committee will appreciate you putting in that effort. The best way, honestly, to counteract a low GPA is to get a high GMAT. You have done that, a 710 is a great score that proves you can handle the academics of b-school; but it is just about near the median for Darden. I'm not sure where you're at on your "GMAT journey" but if you'd consider retaking, it might be worth a shot to see if you can get a score that's over the median. The other challenge is that you are applying from a heavily represented applicant pool (men in finance) so that's something to consider too. But I do really like the points you mention about your work experience -- it sounds like you've gained the trust of management and are seen as a high potential leader. The promotion is great too, and I think your recommendations will be important to vouch for those things.

Switching to consulting is totally doable; just make sure you can articulate why -- what draws you to the work, why it's a good fit for you, etc. If DC is a target location for you (I lived there many years myself!) then I think Georgetown should be on your list too as a safer option, but still one that has excellent placement with top consulting firms in DC.

One more thing - Are you still working with the NGOs? If that was in the past, can you restart those roles? Or take on bigger roles? That could be another area to stand out, especially with the one focused on epilepsy since it ties to your personal story and is a bit more unique.

Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific follow-up questions.
Kate

cb02 wrote:
Background & nationality: Korean American in NYC
Undergrad Information: Graduated with bachelors in finance from a large private university in Philadelphia. Low GPA of 2.45 (will explain)
GMAT: 710 Q:48 & V:39 IR:4
Work experience & leadership: 48 months at an investment bank in nyc. Front office role in sales & trading. Analyst the first three years then promoted to assistant vp/associate. whenever manager was ooo, I would fill in the managers role and manage a team of 4 people.
Recommendations: have strong refs from managers
Community and others: worked two with NGOs. One helps kids in third world counties. The other helps raise awareness and funds for epilepsy.
Post mba goals:work in consulting in DC area.
Anything else: to explain the low gpa, I had epilepsy for most of my life till the end of high school, when I had brain surgery to treat the disease. I have been free from epilepsy since. The surgery took some toll on me during college years because it was in the verbal memory part of the brain, but I think the real reason for low gpa was because I didn’t try hard. I took a few quantitative courses at a local college in nyc since graduating and got As in all of them (even though it won’t change my gpa)

I know my gpa is very weak, but do you think I have any chance?

Thanks

Kate Richardson

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 22:06
Hello All,
I would like to have my profile evaluated. I just took the GMAT in June and am ready to apply for business school in Fall 2019. Here is my information:
GMAT: 710 (50Q/34V/6 IR) Have not received my AWA score yet
GPA: ~ 3.37 (over a 3.5 my last year)
Degree: BA Economics, UCLA. Transfer GPA - 3.8
Experience: 2 years as an analyst at a real estate investment company(1 year at current firm). Work in both acquisitions (acquired 3 hotels for $150mm since I started) and asset management (6 of our current hotels, and 135 hotels for a third party). Had previous internship experience in PWM.
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours working as a volunteer at the local hospital, as a tutor, and as a coach for middle school children. No experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Was a member of Ski and Snowboard team in college. Mentor a student at UCLA. High School Valedictorian.
Background: Indian (born and raised in California). 25 years old. Typical middle class story for a kid in Orange County.
What I want from business school: First, I would like to work in finance, either in real estate acquisitions, PWM, or VC/PE. I would like to gain both the professional and personal skills that business school can provide. Finally, I need a change in my life.
Letters of Rec: Plan on asking my CIO and an Associate at my current company for my two recommendations. I also have my previous employer in case. Do not have a professor at UCLA I can ask since I did not spend a lot of time in office hours.
Other: The one issue which will make things difficult is that I was accused of cheating in college. I received academic probation and I'm sure I will have to discuss what happened. I would like some feedback whether this is a automatic red flag. It was a mistake and I've grown from it, but I am sure it will leave a mark.

Thank You,
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.54
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 07:04
I would advise you to accumulate 2 or more years of experience before going in that direction. Even if you would get accepted to Darden, you would have very hard time during the recruiting and finding a job that satisfies you afterward.

If you think you have reached a plateau on your learning curve and staying in your current position is a waste of time, consider changing jobs then going to a MBA. It is a serious commitment and if it is done too early it could turn into a nightmare (financially and career wise)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 08:51
Hi consultants

Can you please evaluate my profile?

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: Almost 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a
retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in street plays during college for which I have won prizes. Planning to get into theater part time now.
Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools through plays,
organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Finance

Short term goal is to get a job as financial analyst at the Big 4s, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder
would be my long term goal. The reason for choosing the Big4 is that they have branches in India, so if God forbid, I get thrown out of US after a year i might
stand a chance to get a transfer to India.

Please let me know if you need any extra information.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 17:24
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 14:03
Hi MikeHelios,

Your work experience sounds strong, especially with R&D and team lead experience. B-schools want well-rounded professionals, not just smart engineers, so it's great you're already broadening your skills like that. Keep it up! Your post-MBA goals seem reasonable and I follow your reasoning there.

I think overall, Darden is possible for you, but I would still make sure you have a range of schools. In particular, I am concerned that while your GMAT/GPA stats are solid, they are not going to put you at "the top of the pack" for your heavily represented demographic. If retaking GMAT is possible, I would advise it.

Good luck!
Kate

MikeHelios wrote:
Hi consultants

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: Almost 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a

Extra curriculars: Was active in street plays during college for which I have won prizes. Planning to get into theater part time now.
Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools through plays,
organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

Short term goal is to get a job as financial analyst at the Big 4s, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder
would be my long term goal. The reason for choosing the Big4 is that they have branches in India, so if God forbid, I get thrown out of US after a year i might

Kate Richardson

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 14:10
Hi Johnny!

Good for you for thinking ahead!

As far as strengths, your GPA is excellent and Kelley has a great reputation. It sounds like you are on a great track at work too -- hopefully you'll have a promotion and some team lead experience by the time you apply.

Keep up the activities outside work, and try to find ways to expand your involvement (e.g., recruit/train others, plan events, sit on a committee, etc.). Your involvement in Jiu Jitsu is great, and less common, so that will be a nice plus to your application!

I would focus on two things:
1) Getting your GMAT up. You have a solid, well-balanced score but a 720/730 would increase your chances at Darden. Plus, you have time.
2) Demonstrating your interest in entrepreneurship, either through professional organizations, volunteer work (like advising a startup), or personal interests. If you're not able to do that before you apply, I would just frame entrepreneurship as a mid to long-term post-MBA goal, as that will be seen as more realistic to admissions. Though of course once you get in, you can pursue all opportunities you like!

Best,
Kate

jomregan wrote:
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny

Kate Richardson

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 22:35
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi MikeHelios,

Your work experience sounds strong, especially with R&D and team lead experience. B-schools want well-rounded professionals, not just smart engineers, so it's great you're already broadening your skills like that. Keep it up! Your post-MBA goals seem reasonable and I follow your reasoning there.

I think overall, Darden is possible for you, but I would still make sure you have a range of schools. In particular, I am concerned that while your GMAT/GPA stats are solid, they are not going to put you at "the top of the pack" for your heavily represented demographic. If retaking GMAT is possible, I would advise it.

Good luck!
Kate

MikeHelios wrote:
Hi consultants

Hi mbaMissionKate

Thanks for the evaluation, Kate. I really appreaciate it. I was scoring in the mid 600s during my mocks so I really think 720 was as lucky as I could get. :D and about the range of schools, should I consider schools safer than Darden or in the same range?
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 18:28
I see...then yes, stick with the 720! You should have a range of schools, with at least one or two similar schools to Darden, and one or two safer options.

MikeHelios wrote:

Thanks for the evaluation, Kate. I really appreaciate it. I was scoring in the mid 600s during my mocks so I really think 720 was as lucky as I could get. :D and about the range of schools, should I consider schools safer than Darden or in the same range?

Kate Richardson

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 23:22
mbaMissionKate wrote:
I see...then yes, stick with the 720! You should have a range of schools, with at least one or two similar schools to Darden, and one or two safer options.

MikeHelios wrote:

Thanks again, Kate. I will do as you advised.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 14:02
Background: 26 year old white American
Education: 3.56 at a top 20 American University with a semester spent abroad in London
GMAT: 720 with a skew towards verbal
Work Experience: After college I worked 2 years with a leading market research firm doing research and evaluation on new product launches for CPG companies. I then made a shift and spent two years doing brand marketing at a top food company with budget management and P&L exposure.
Community: Volunteer at a local children's hospital once a week
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jun 2018, 14:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 85 posts ] 

Darden Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap