GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
CAT Tests
Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Dec 2017, 09:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

12% (01:07) correct 88% (01:10) wrong based on 518 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

a). Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

b). Assuming that the people's party has the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

c). Assuming that the people's party had the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

d). Assuming that the people's party have the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

e). Assuming that the people's party has the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

Source: Expert's Global Practice Test

Originally posted by JackMasterNone on 14 Dec 2017, 07:08.
Last edited by broall on 14 Dec 2017, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted questions
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29
Re: Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 10:26
Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

a). Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

b). Assuming that the people's party has the results in their favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

c). Assuming that the people's party had the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

d). Assuming that the people's party have the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

e). Assuming that the people's party has the results in its favor, the campaign team indulged in celebrations too early, only to soon realize that its venomous campaign had cost it dearly.

We are talking about a party so it is singular... A-D POE
Lets check the timing then:
Campaing > assumption > realization
So B-E are out because they missed the correct timing
so C is the one.

IMHO
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 07:31
I chose C cuz i think past tense "had" will be perfectly fit here.
Wait for detail explaination
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 08:59
PaterD wrote:

We are talking about a party so it is singular... A-D POE
Lets check the timing then:
Campaing > assumption > realization
So B-E are out because they missed the correct timing
so C is the one.

IMHO

It marked wrong for C. I don't understand...
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 14:13
Hello dear Gmat Experts, I'd like your opinion regarding this question, because the OA provided by the poster in my humble opinion, misses the timing. Thanks in advance.

D.P
Expert Post
16 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 04:07
PaterD wrote:
Hello dear Gmat Experts, I'd like your opinion regarding this question, because the OA provided by the poster in my humble opinion, misses the timing. Thanks in advance.

D.P

The event "have the results in its favour" did not occur at a particular point in past. In fact the event never took place - it was a hypothetical event assumed by the campaign team. Hence subjunctive "have" is alright, but simple past "had" is wrong. (Note that "have" is NOT used as simple present, but as subjunctive - "would have" instead of "have" would also be alright, because then the tense "would have" would depict a point in future WITH RESPECT TO the past event "indulge".)

Correct. Assuming that I win, I celebrated. (subjunctive)
Correct. Assuming that I would win, I celebrated. (future with respect to a point in past)
Wrong. Assuming that I won, I celebrated. (This is wrong, if the results were not declared.)
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 05:18
Very well explained sayantanc2k sir thanks for the explanation.....Clear to me now

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 05:47
Experts sayantanc2k mikemcgarry egmat
I have a small doubt here....Assumption is always taken from the past.....So is the usage of present tense valid here?

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 05:39
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts sayantanc2k mikemcgarry egmat
I have a small doubt here....Assumption is always taken from the past.....So is the usage of present tense valid here?

Assumption can be about an event in past, present or future. All the following examples are correct:

You may assume that Arvind ate the cake.
You may assume that Arvind will eat the cake.
You may assume that Arvind eats the cake.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 03:08
Hi sayantanc2k

Could you please explain what is wrong with option E here? Why is the usage of the word "has" wrong?

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 04:47
Novice90 wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k

Could you please explain what is wrong with option E here? Why is the usage of the word "has" wrong?

Thanks

Simple present is used for events that happen in general. Example: I go to work everyday.

In option E, simple present "has" is wrong, because "having the result in favour" is not something that happens in general. The event is either a desire (subjunctive "have") or an event in future from the perspective of past (conditional "would have").
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 09:32
sayantanc2k wrote:
PaterD wrote:

D.P

The event "have the results in its favour" did not occur at a particular point in past. In fact the event never took place - it was a hypothetical event assumed by the campaign team. Hence subjunctive "have" is alright, but simple past "had" is wrong. (Note that "have" is NOT used as simple present, but as subjunctive - "would have" instead of "have" would also be alright, because then the tense "would have" would depict a point in future WITH RESPECT TO the past event "indulge".)

Correct. Assuming that I win, I celebrated. (subjunctive)
Correct. Assuming that I would win, I celebrated. (future with respect to a point in past)
Wrong. Assuming that I won, I celebrated. (This is wrong, if the results were not declared.)

Hi

But party is singular...how can we use "have" when party is singular?

Thanks In advance

Please help
Re: Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 09:32

Assuming that the people's party have the results in their favor, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap